SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
White SC
White SC is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
Default 92 SC Tranny goes into limp mode

I am new to the site but have been using a lot of the information to work on my new project vehicle a 1992 Saturn SC 1.9L DOHC. Auto, Cruise, AC, Sunroof (that does not work), PW and PL. I am now stumped with this great running, when it runs right, little car. The speedo did not work when I go it. I replaced the VSS with no effect. I ended up replacing the cluster and now all work except the odometer (need new gear). I got a code 32 and 26, replaced EGR, CCS, ECTS, ran great until alternator went, replaced that and new battery terminals. PW would work intermittently. I replaced all fuses and relays they worked until the tranny started acting up. When I start the car in the morning it runs and shifts great. I commute 42 miles, one way, to work every day. Sometimes I get an SES light but it goes out before I arrive at work. I check the codes and nothing there. Everything works including the PW without hesitation or stopping. The problem starts at 5pm. The car sits in the lot in the Florida sun all day and gets hot inside. When I start it the SES, Temp and Shift to D2 lights come on and it will only drive in high gear. The PW run slow or stop. In park it will rev past the 4000 rpm. When cold the 4000rpm rev limiter kicks in. If it is not a warm day the car runs fine at the end of the day. I check the codes and noting. The automatic seat belts work, cooling fan comes, AC works but not well. I did observe when it is in limp mode the AC compressor does not come on right away. Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to White SC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help White SC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
White SC is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: 92 SC Tranny goes into limp mode

First, there is no limp mode. Its fouled up and its an electrical problem. Not fuses or relays, most likely wiring or connectors. It sounds like a damaged engine harness as it is effecting the idle and A/C. It could be a defective UHJB(fuse box under hood). This is difficult to determine whitout much more detailed symptoms. The SES is going to tewell you next to nothing that will fix this.

The UHJB in your car is common to all models of Saturn 92-94 that do not have fog lights.

Before buying parts though collect more symptom data. Try parking in the shade or open your hood and prop it open 6 inches or so and see if this might be heat related.

Welcome to the Forums!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
White SC

1992 SC

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for quoting one of your master members with the slang terminology "limp mode". The parts replacement so far were either needed or as the result of fault codes or advice from posts on this site, including yours, to others with similar problems. The UHJB was one of the first things I checked. The relays and fuses, some of which were original, were replaced. The contacts were cleaned with CRC and wires were inspected for damage. The electrical connection on the top of the transmission was also checked and cleaned. The car has been parked in the shade (hard to find in Fla parking lots) and with the windows left down. When the air temp is cool the car runs fine.
Symptoms as previously stated: When cold the car starts and runs fine. Intermittent SES while driving but no code. When the car sits in the heat of the day 8+ hours, when started the SES, Shift to D2 and coolant light come on and the car will only run in high gear. The cooling fan comes on while driving in this condition, the coolant light goes out once the fan comes on. The shift to D2 light goes out at 30mph but returns when slowed below 30. There are no codes left and the AC comp. engages after approx 1 min of engine running. Any other symptoms I should look for?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help White SC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The PCM is inside the car right above your left kneecap. If it has ever been wet that could explain it. The fan is coming on because you are loosing the ECTS signal. There are wires internal to the UHJB. Picking the obvious and going from there. Have you replaced the ECTS? Its the sensor in the left end of the head with 2 wires going to it. This is a 10.00 part at the parts store and if it has not been replaced its a place to start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
White SC

1992 SC

Yes, I replaced both the ECT sensor and ECT sender. I have read a few other posts on other sites and suspect the PCM and possibly the IPJB. Another hot day in Fla today and when the PW stopped working while the car was in its no shift syndrom the PW relay in the IPJB was hot. Now at night everything works fine and the windows work without hesitation and the relay is cool. I have read other posts that the PCM is the last item to suspect as they are "bullett proof". Can the PCM be removed and inspected then reinstalled without a need to reprogram?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Inspection of PCM is near impossible as its in a cast aluminum brick. The problem would be with the connectors on the bottom as they could fill up with water and corrode. The I/P panel has no direct connection to the PCM or transmission but it is electrically powered from the UHJB and that could be part of the problem. I would do the following: Disconnect and very carefully inspect the connector pin holes in the ECTS connector for any signs of corrosion. Check your manual and locate the fuse in the UHJB that feeds the I/P panel and pull it the next time you park. If the heat is causing an electrical problem with the I/P that would drag down and severely heat the UHJB. You have pretty well pinned this down to a heat related issue. You could pull the door lock relay and use the key also. Pulling the relay will cause less of a disruption as the radio will not be reset. I don't think its the PCM. It is possible that the harness is chafed and grounding out where it passes through the firewall though. I would also peel back the wire loom on the ECTS lead and check the 2 conductors for any insulation breaks or splices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!