SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #61
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnNJeep View Post
I tried to do this..... sprayed the bottom of the cover with some sticky gasket stick stuff, stuck the gasket on the cover, put it on CAREFULLY, tightened the bolts, only to find that the back side of the gasket had come out. Then, I couldn't find the stupid torx socket that I had used, so, it's sitting. Probably going to have to get another gasket tomorrow because, by the time I get the cover off to get the gasket out after work, it'll be deformed,

Go figure, I can tear apart several Jeep trannies and transfer cases and put them back together, but I can't even do a simple valve cover gasket replacement!! Looks like I'll have to sell the Saturn, and give back my Saturn Owner's Card, because I'm not worthy!! I'll get it straight, just frustrated.

Jerry

Tell you what, we won't require you to get rid of the Saturn or turn in your owners card. But if you screw up that cam cover gasket replacement again, we're meeting half way between VA and FLA and trading cars. After all my single cammer is a '95 too, and more important the cam cover doesn't leak!

But at some point, all of us have had a basic job kick our tails.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #62
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SL25SPD View Post
why not do this yourself?
See my "at a crossroads with my Saturn" thread for the info.

basically, I had little choice. not to mention my dad kept doubting my mechanical abilities, so what can you do.

Oh well, at least I didn't get taken to the cleaners (some of you might say I did anyway, but still) and they gave me a slick deal on it.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #63
SaturnNJeep
SaturnNJeep is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post

Tell you what, we won't require you to get rid of the Saturn or turn in your owners card. But if you screw up that cam cover gasket replacement again, we're meeting half way between VA and FLA and trading cars. After all my single cammer is a '95 too, and more important the cam cover doesn't leak!

But at some point, all of us have had a basic job kick our tails.
LOL, you know the funny thing is, this Saturn was originally sold new at Saturn of VA Beach!!! It would be going back home!!

Anyway, found out the problem, there is no gasket for a '95 DOHC with the aluminum cam cover, just RTV!! What Advance sold me was for a DOHC with the plastic com cover, which I didn't think they had both in '95, I went to my local Napa to see if they had a different gasket, and they told me it takes the black RTV. Here's a pic of the finished product, and, yes, I'm keeping the Saturn, sorry,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnNJeep's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnNJeep reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnNJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #64
guy_450
guy_450 will become famous soon enough

2000 SW2
2001 SW2

Quote:
I'm keeping the Saturn, sorry,

Jerry
Congrat, nice came cover

2000 SW2 5MT silver
2001 SW2 4AT silver (garaged)
2012 VOLT Electric instant torque & regen braking go so well together !!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guy_450's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guy_450 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guy_450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #65
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

today I replaced my engine coolant temperature sensor in my Saturn then slowly poured a 1/3 can of Sea Foam into the throttle body while the engine was running. I let it sit for 5 minutes then started it and drove around the block fogging mosquitoes.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #66
Merlin3
Merlin3 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

New OEM O2 sensor and a rotate and balance on the tires.

Stuck a gauge on the A/C. Low/Low - High/High

2002 SC2 3 door 170,600 (05/2/11)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Merlin3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Merlin3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Merlin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #67
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
there is no gasket for a '95 DOHC with the aluminum cam cover, just RTV!!......

.....and they told me it takes the black RTV.
Sounds like they lied to you or dont know what they're talking about. Did you finally get the gasket or did you use RTV as the gasket? Using just RTV is OK if you plan on selling the car and know you'll never see it agian or to someone you have a deep hatred for.

I swear if I ever buy another S-Series where someone has used RTV instead of the proper gasket, I'll find the person who did the work and give them a sex change operation via my left foot.

Having to pry and beat an RTV's cover off = not fun

Having to use a wire brush wheel to get all the gobbed on RTV off the recess on the cover = not fun

Finding RTV boogers in the head, between the timing chain cover and block, in the oil pan, and clogging up the oil pick up tube because it oooozed out on installation = not fun.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

Last edited by Low Saturn; 05-25-2010 at 10:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #68
SaturnNJeep

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Sounds like they lied to you or dont know what they're talking about. Did you finally get the gasket or did you use RTV as the gasket? Using just RTV is OK if you plan on selling the car and know you'll never see it agian or to someone you have a deep hatred for.

I swear if I ever buy another S-Series where someone has used RTV instead of the proper gasket, I'll find the person who did the work and give them a sex change operation via my left foot.

Having to pry and beat an RTV's cover off = not fun

Having to use a wire brush wheel to get all the gobbed on RTV off the recess on the cover = not fun

Finding RTV boogers in the head, between the timing chain cover and block, in the oil pan, and clogging up the oil pick up tube because it oooozed out on installation = not fun.
I didn't like the idea either. This was what Felpro had listed on their list, and the gasket that was given to me wasn't going to cut it, it was made for a different cover, even though the outline matched perfectly. Believe me, I would rather have the gasket if I could get the correct one. Anyone know a good part number? Thanks!

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnNJeep reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #69
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Anyone know a good part number? Thanks!

Jerry
Felpro part #vs50451r

For the 1992-1995 DOHC aluminum valve covers.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...Text=vs50451r+

Sounds like they originally gave you the Felpro VS50454R for the 1996-1998 composite DOHC covers.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #70
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Jerryy, might be my aged eyes, but why does it look like there's a straight line where your exhaust manifold is gray on the left (#1) and rusty on the right in the picture?

And it might be the angle, but I only see 2 of the timing cover to engine mount studs?

I still think you have a great looking car, even better with the red cam cover. I was contemplating painting mine when I had it off, but I was too lazy to really clean it off

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #71
SaturnNJeep

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Felpro part #vs50451r

For the 1992-1995 DOHC aluminum valve covers.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...Text=vs50451r+

Sounds like they originally gave you the Felpro VS50454R for the 1996-1998 composite DOHC covers.
Thanks, Low Saturn! You're a lifesaver!! You're right, that's what happened, I just found the Felpro box, and it clearly states "VS 50454 R" on the end. The RTV looks like it's sealing (for now), but, I'm going to go ahead and get the REAL Felpro gasket next week. Thanks again for the part number,

Jerry

Last edited by SaturnNJeep; 05-26-2010 at 04:59 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #72
SaturnNJeep

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Jerry, might be my aged eyes, but why does it look like there's a straight line where your exhaust manifold is gray on the left (#1) and rusty on the right in the picture?
Not sure what exactly you're talking about. My eyes might be going too,

Quote:
And it might be the angle, but I only see 2 of the timing cover to engine mount studs?
Your eyes are not playing tricks, I need to take care of that.

Quote:
I still think you have a great looking car, even better with the red cam cover. I was contemplating painting mine when I had it off, but I was too lazy to really clean it off
Thanks, like I said, it was more orange then I had wanted, but, it still looks better then the battle ship gray!!!

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #73
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Not sure what exactly you're talking about. My eyes might be going too,
The section in the yellow area... looking a little closer, it looks like it might be some kind of heat shield?

I'm pretty sure I don't have one in my car (or I'm just not paying attention )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_2954.jpg (17.9 KB, 51 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #74
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

That's the bracket that attaches the A/C compressor to the block. If you have A/C on your car, then you would have this also.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #75
KingRex
Advanced Member
KingRex will become famous soon enoughKingRex will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2

Checked my gas and filled the oil!

"The Homecoming King"

Saturns Saved: 18

Saturns Owned: 2

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KingRex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KingRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #76
SaturnNJeep

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1 View Post
That's the bracket that attaches the A/C compressor to the block. If you have A/C on your car, then you would have this also.
What he said, LOL!

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #77
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Heh, never really paid attention to that AC bracket before.

Picture threw me off because it looked like part of the exhaust manifold was taped off and painted gray at first. then when I looked at it again, it looked like something that was molded and shaped right over the exhaust.

Thanks! (I went and looked closer at my engine last night, and yep, I have that there)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #78
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

spent most of the day claying my car, then coating it with liquid glass & rain-x on all glass surfaces. i'm burnt from the sun like hell! next thursday it goes in to ziebart for it's annual underbody inspection & re-spray of sound deadner...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #79
guy_450
guy_450 will become famous soon enough

2000 SW2
2001 SW2

Put a new battery into my ex 1995 SW1,which I gave to my sister last year. She appreciates my after-sales service

New fuel filter & synthetic oil change for my SW2 last week

2000 SW2 5MT silver
2001 SW2 4AT silver (garaged)
2012 VOLT Electric instant torque & regen braking go so well together !!

Last edited by guy_450; 05-30-2010 at 04:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guy_450's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guy_450 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guy_450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #80
ruffiano
ruffiano is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Washed and waxed! first time ever.. since I've owned it (about 5 days, haha).

But it was in desperate need of a wax job!! This NM sun was beating it up and now it looks great!

K&N filter later this week.. then I'm waiting for my 6.5" speakers to come in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruffiano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruffiano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruffiano is offline   Reply With Quote