SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
Ravenmike
Ravenmike will become famous soon enoughRavenmike will become famous soon enough

Default 2004 Vue Door Switch / Lock Issue

Hi everyone,

My 04 Vue just starting having problems with the door locks.

Just in the last few days, when driving, the interior light will pop on for a sec, then go out...when it goes out you can hear the locks engage. It does it very randomly and there is no specific condition I can pin point to when it does occur.
Since it is acting like a door is being opened, I am thinking that the cause is one or more of the door switches (The switch that opens when a door is opened...the one that controls the interior lights coming on). The door locks themselves work just fine. I also had an incident where the car was parked with the alarm set, and the alarm sounded...like someone had opened the door. Like other posters, I think this started after I washed the car...

Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips to figure out which switch is the bad one?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ravenmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ravenmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ravenmike is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2004 Vue Door Switch / Lock Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenmike View Post
Hi everyone,

My 04 Vue just starting having problems with the door locks.

Just in the last few days, when driving, the interior light will pop on for a sec, then go out...when it goes out you can hear the locks engage. It does it very randomly and there is no specific condition I can pin point to when it does occur.
Since it is acting like a door is being opened, I am thinking that the cause is one or more of the door switches (The switch that opens when a door is opened...the one that controls the interior lights coming on). The door locks themselves work just fine. I also had an incident where the car was parked with the alarm set, and the alarm sounded...like someone had opened the door. Like other posters, I think this started after I washed the car...

Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips to figure out which switch is the bad one?

Thanks.
Many folks believe symptoms similar to yours are early indications the body control module (BCM) is not healthy.

You can view a schematic of the relationship between the door jamb switches and the BCM in post # 4 of following thread - DR LOCKS SCHEM # 1(rules prevent re-post of same diagram):

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=135480

You'll note each of the four jamb switches and the lift-gate ajar switch are normally open when door is closed - but each will provide a path to ground for BCM when the door is open. (Turns on interior lights, sets off alarm, etc).

As a practical matter I can see where one of the switches could be borderline, and could intermittently route a ground to one of the three BCM inputs.

I'd think one way to isolate the bad switch is to cycle each many times to see if you can get one to change to unwanted state.

I do believe my first action would be to disconnect battery ground cable for several minutes (make sure your radio security is not enabled). Then reconnect to perform a mini-boot of the BCM module.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

That is how things started when my BCM went. If you notice any other electrical gremlins get ready to dish out about $500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Ravenmike
Ravenmike will become famous soon enoughRavenmike will become famous soon enough

Well...I tried the battery disconnect, and it seemed to help for a while, but then the problem returned (although not as frequently as before). I drive 60 miles one way to work so I have ample time to test the condition.
I have since removed the light bulbs in the map lights (since there is no other way to shut them off), and set the interior light switch off as well...this to prevent the interior light from blinding me at night, and to prevent the battery from running down.

I found another post about disabling the auto-lock, but the procedure was for disabling the auto-unlock when the car is placed into park. (I find that a bit annoying so I switched it back)

For now, I think I will wait and see what happens...especially if everyone is on the same assumption that the BCM is the culprit. The switches, while relatively cheap look difficult to get to and replace. (especially the rear door which look to be mounted in the center post with the seat belt tensioner.

As for other electrical "gremlins" what things should I be on the look out for? If it is just the locks, I might be able to live with that (until the locks themselves give out)...but I want to be sure nothing catastriphic will happen.

Does anyone else have a suggestion or idea?

Thanks for the advice so far. It is very much appreciated. I nursed my last Saturn (96 SC2) to 280,000 miles before I had to throw in the towel...the Vue seems to be a whole different world.

Cheers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ravenmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ravenmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ravenmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

The BCM does a little of everything. Locks, alarm, door triggers, exterior lights, horn, and some engine related functions are handled by the BCM. There's no way of telling, but it seems like when one thing goes bad in the BCM, more is likely to follow.

By chance, are you from a northern state? I think there is a correlation between the temperature and BCM failures.

The front door switches are easy to replace. Those side panels snap off. But I doubt they're bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenmike View Post
Well...I tried the battery disconnect, and it seemed to help for a while, but then the problem returned (although not as frequently as before). I drive 60 miles one way to work so I have ample time to test the condition.
I have since removed the light bulbs in the map lights (since there is no other way to shut them off), and set the interior light switch off as well...this to prevent the interior light from blinding me at night, and to prevent the battery from running down.

I found another post about disabling the auto-lock, but the procedure was for disabling the auto-unlock when the car is placed into park. (I find that a bit annoying so I switched it back)

For now, I think I will wait and see what happens...especially if everyone is on the same assumption that the BCM is the culprit. The switches, while relatively cheap look difficult to get to and replace. (especially the rear door which look to be mounted in the center post with the seat belt tensioner.

As for other electrical "gremlins" what things should I be on the look out for? If it is just the locks, I might be able to live with that (until the locks themselves give out)...but I want to be sure nothing catastriphic will happen.

Does anyone else have a suggestion or idea?

Thanks for the advice so far. It is very much appreciated. I nursed my last Saturn (96 SC2) to 280,000 miles before I had to throw in the towel...the Vue seems to be a whole different world.

Cheers.
The alarm going off for no reason is one of the begining signs. Also the cruise control will ot work if the BCM fails. If the BCM fails when the security system is engaged you will not be able to start the car. If the gauges fail intermittently that is a sign the BCM is going

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
NathanD
NathanD is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I just had exactly this same issue with my 2007, however found and solved the problem.

Conditions: Cold weather (-8 degC to be precise.)
First noticed while driving, cabin lights would pop on, door locks would open/close.
Then sometimes lights would stay on, and drivers lock would not lock.
Then, middle of the night (while getting cold) alarm would start going.

Turns out, the drivers door closed switch (the pin sticking out the side of the dash) was getting a bit worn. When the car gets really cold, things shrink to the point of the switch being marginal.
BCM would think while driving that the door was being opened. Of course, the door won't lock, if the key is still in the ignition, and would stay unlocked. Not until the door was closed, and the car was in motion, would it lock again.
Same thing happened at night while the car was slowly freezing. The geometry of the door became marginal with the switch. the door switch opened and the alarm was triggered.

Fix: Put some padding under the hard plastic on the door panel. This makes it stick out a bit further, and push the pin further.

Problem solved.

Test procedure: When in faulty state, car off, try to lock the car with the FOB. If it goes into delayed lock mode (as in door open) open a door, press and hold the pin switch with finger. If it locks, there's the problem. If not, try another door.

I hope this helps someone, before having to replace a BCM!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NathanD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NathanD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NathanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

NathanD ... you posted really good data. Its scary a flaky door switch could provide symptoms so similar to a failing BCM.

Your episode provides a good example for doing a little common-sense troubleshooting before breaking out the checkbook.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Marmitag
Marmitag is on a distinguished road

I have a 2005 Saturn Vue and had the same issue. I pulled the panel that held the switch and removed the passenger side door switch. My vehicle would have trouble in cold weather just as described above. Since I have removed the switch everything has been fine. I am currently looking to find a replacement switch for it. I like the post about adding padding to the switch contact location on the door and might try that.
Thanks NathanD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marmitag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Marmitag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Marmitag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmitag View Post
I have a 2005 Saturn Vue and had the same issue. I pulled the panel that held the switch and removed the passenger side door switch. My vehicle would have trouble in cold weather just as described above. Since I have removed the switch everything has been fine. I am currently looking to find a replacement switch for it. I like the post about adding padding to the switch contact location on the door and might try that.
Thanks NathanD.
http://www.partstrain.com/store/?N=0...or+lock+switch

Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiger862's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiger862 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I was thinking he needed the door-jamb switch ... one of these?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,4360

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
GeorgesVue
GeorgesVue is on a distinguished road

Had the same problem with my 2006 Vue. Passenger side front door closed switch bad. Replaced it. Problem solved.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GeorgesVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GeorgesVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GeorgesVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
tomster
tomster is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Switches are pretty simple devices but I guess something mechanical can go wrong with them and then they won't work. Usually I would think they would fail open but I had a light switch weld itself 'on' once.

Could failing wire insulation cause this as well?

2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
ccurphy
ccurphy is on a distinguished road

My wife had this same issue. When it gets extremely cold outside, the alarm might go off for no reason, the power locks go on and off and the dome light comes on.

I replaced the door switch on the side of dash and nothing happened. We were still having the same issue. When the symptoms were occurring, we would just pull out on the passenger side door panel handle and the symptoms would stop. I noticed the plastic door panel on the passenger side door is what actually pushed the button on the door switch. I think due to expansion and contraction, the door contracted just enough that the it was not pushing the switch in far enough. I got piece of weather stripping cut off about 1/2 and put on the door panel. This seemed to have pushed the switch in a little farther and problem seems to be solved.

Good luck hope this helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ccurphy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ccurphy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ccurphy is offline   Reply With Quote