SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
Scott K
Scott K is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 ION Ignition Lock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2007 ION that has just pulled the "key stuck in the ignition" trick for the first time since I bought it in 2008. The key itself is in the "on" position and can rotate forward but not backward at all. I pulled the ignition fuse block #38 under the hood to shut it off. I thought at first that the ignition lock had worn out but after reading the helpful hints on this website, I'm feeling pretty confident that it's the shift lock solenoid or BTSI. My question is two part:#1-Is the BTSI strickly a dealer part or can a place like NAPA order it? And#2-How big of a deal is it to replace the BTSI? I quess a ballpark location near the shifter would really help out too. I would greatly appreciate any advise as it's a daily driver. Thanks friends, Scott K in AZ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scott K's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scott K reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scott K is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2007 ION Ignition Lock

If the cyl is stuck in the run position then the problem is the tumbler cover has come loose from the cyl. Remove and re-seat using a drop of super glue at each end. If your cyl is worn you can replace, but its not needed to fix this. Dont order a BTSI, it wont fix your issue.

***Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ. Specializing in Saturn repairs.

94 SW2- custom intake and ported throttle body
2003 Saturn Vue 3.0 v6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
David Lewis
David Lewis is on a distinguished road

What does the tumbler cover look like pic or a drawing would help thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Lewis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Lewis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
snakes
snakes has a spectacular aura aboutsnakes has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

The same thing happened to me a few yrs ago. started out intermittently and then too often. It would actually when I shut the car off the key wouldnt release. First I had a new key made up which didnt work and then was told by Saturn that it was the solenoid. I had that replaced for $400 Dollars at Saturn Service dept. The problem still kept happening and they winded up replacing the Shifter for another $400.00 dollars and that solved the problem. I was told it was the shifter. I did have a problem with the solenoid because I would get a click, click, click sound in my steering column, which sounded like a relay. SO I had two probs at the same time. Not sure if this helps. I have an 05 Ion so I'm not sure if its defiantely the same prob you are having. I can check my reciepts to find out the exact part/shifter. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snakes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
jskiguy
jskiguy will become famous soon enoughjskiguy will become famous soon enough

I have both a 97 SW2 and a 2006 ION coupe.
These are my experiences with both.
The 97's key got stuck. It could turn the engine off but you could not lock and remove the key. That problem was the linkage under the shifter plate of the console was sticky and I lubed it with WD-40 and it's been fine ever since.
The 2006's key got stuck with the engine on. It could not be turned off but it could twist to the start position. It is not related to the little solenoid that the owners manual speaks of, that procedure is for a dead battery.
I pulled the ignition fuse to kill the engine.
I then pulled off the top cover from the steering column, it just pulls off.
I then took off the three bolts under the column cover. I pulled the left side off
and then I disconnected the connector at the end of the ignition lock. That turned off the instruments etc.
I had to saw the head of the key off to remove the right side cover.
I found a youtube video on removing the lock tumbler from the column.
You need to remove the wiper switch. (easy to do)
Then using a small Allen wrench, you push into the hole furthest from the column and it will pop out slightly, then push into the closest hole and pull it out a bit more, then push into the first hole again but at an angle this time to finally pull the lock out the rest of the way..Be careful because the little metal plate that is loose and causing the problem and the springs under it may fall off.
Now you have to de-grease the plate and the area that the plate sits into.
I installed the plate and used a rubber band to hold it together. I put a toothpick under the rubber band to make sure the plate is tight into the aluminum of the tumbler mechanism. I put a drop of super glue on each end
where the plate is bent 90 degrees and goes into the aluminum. I also used
a very small amount of epoxy around the edge in six places as an added precaution against it happening again. After the epoxy cured, I put everything back together. BTW, You must have the key in the lock to get it to go back in. I re-greased the lock and connected the ignition switch connector. I did not have to go through the pass lock procedure.
I had another key made to replace the one I had to cut off to get the right cover off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jskiguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jskiguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
jenwilli
jenwilli is on a distinguished road

Look on Youtube for "Saturn Ion key ignition stuck wont come out (solved) manual overide " It's the shifter park microswitch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jenwilli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jenwilli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jenwilli is offline   Reply With Quote