SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
nbkyqks
nbkyqks is on a distinguished road

Devil 1996 Saturn Sl2 strange response to pressing the gas pedal

Thanks in advance!

Two issues that may or may not be related:

1) After driving for 3 or 4 miles, The Service Engine Light came on and I felt a distinct fluttering in the response of the car...while keeping the gas pedal at the same point. Felt like I was running out of gas...unfortunately I know what that feels like from the past in other cars...never ran out of gas in this car though.

This has happened to me alot lately, so I knew what was going to happen next...when I approach a stop light and am downshifting, the car is likely to stall out unless I throw it in neutral coasting in AND punch the gas. Once I do that, the car will idle fine for a while...but this will happen again shortly.

2) This problem went away but is back...From first gear to second up to 3K RPM...fine, Second gear to third fine, third to forth fine most of the time but if I'm pulling a hill I notice the RMP increasing fast (starting at around 2500), but not getting the response I would expect...bascially the car stays at the same speed while the RPMs are dramatically increasing...forth to fifth (especially on a hill) I almost always notice this dramatic increase in RPM's with no change in the power of the car. I expect to feel an acceleration when the RPMs increase this much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nbkyqks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nbkyqks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nbkyqks is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: 1996 Saturn Sl2 strange response to pressing the gas pedal

The ses light and driveability problem sounds like it may be an egr problem but get the code read first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
nbkyqks

I appreciate your response...I got the SES code from Advance Auto Parts...1406.

Does that tell you anything?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nbkyqks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

year/model/trans type?

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
nbkyqks

1996 SL2...5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
flyhop
Advanced Member
flyhop is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2000 SL2

P1406 EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit - Read Our Article on EGR Valve Codes For Help With This Saturn Check Engine Light Code

from this site: http://www.engine-light-help.com/sat...ine-light.html

Use search engine in here for how-tos (i.e. How-To Library) on EGR cleaning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyhop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyhop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the rough

And if that don't work, change the egr valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
flyhop
Advanced Member
flyhop is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2000 SL2

Before going to the expense of a new EGR valve, try this first.

Given you got the error code, I'd try cleaning our your EGR first. Put it back on, clear the codes, and go for a drive. Better? Then, problem solved. No better? Try blocking it off per Richpin's video. In essence, you block off the EGR valve ports, and then drive it. If the problem goes away, it's your EGR valve.

Rich's video is here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRq2...e=channel_page

Let us know how things work out. If you have to get a new one and money's tight, try pulling one off a similar Saturn at a boneyard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyhop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyhop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
ishekhar
ishekhar is on a distinguished road

I had a similiar pattern (hesitant start, typically takes 2-3 attempt to start the car) and the car runs heavy and the error code flashed p1406.

Tried cleaning the EGR value but no luck.
Put in a brand new EGR value but still no luck.

any idea what could go wrong ? Since the EGR valve is now brand new, that would make some other problem, right ? Why this P1406 code then ?

thx,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ishekhar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ishekhar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ishekhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
GeeWiggles
GeeWiggles is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishekhar View Post
I had a similiar pattern (hesitant start, typically takes 2-3 attempt to start the car) and the car runs heavy and the error code flashed p1406.

Tried cleaning the EGR value but no luck.
Put in a brand new EGR value but still no luck.

any idea what could go wrong ? Since the EGR valve is now brand new, that would make some other problem, right ? Why this P1406 code then ?

thx,
sounds like you have a connection issue. Try taking the connector off and spraying some electrical cleaner inside and dangle it down, letting it dry completely. Inspect the connection on the EGR for any residual corrosion too as it might have gotten on the terminals. I had this code a few weeks back after I removed and cleaned my EGR and found that some corrosion had come loose when I removed the connector. After cleaning it out code went away and hasn't come back.

IF this doesn't work I'd be checking your connector and the wires leading from it for shorts. It's rare, but possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GeeWiggles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GeeWiggles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GeeWiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
jhall02sc2
jhall02sc2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Would these cars be able to run right with egr blocked off and not plugged in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhall02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhall02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhall02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
Tofutti
Tofutti is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbkyqks View Post
Thanks in advance!

2) This problem went away but is back...From first gear to second up to 3K RPM...fine, Second gear to third fine, third to forth fine most of the time but if I'm pulling a hill I notice the RMP increasing fast (starting at around 2500), but not getting the response I would expect...bascially the car stays at the same speed while the RPMs are dramatically increasing...forth to fifth (especially on a hill) I almost always notice this dramatic increase in RPM's with no change in the power of the car. I expect to feel an acceleration when the RPMs increase this much.
Does this sound to anybody else like a slipping clutch or other hydraulic problem? If the RPM's are spiking/increasing without a change of vehicle speed... Especially noticeable in higher gears and/or under higher load...

Just my two cents. I'm probably missing something if nobody else has mentioned it thus far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tofutti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tofutti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tofutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
GeeWiggles
GeeWiggles is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofutti View Post
Does this sound to anybody else like a slipping clutch or other hydraulic problem? If the RPM's are spiking/increasing without a change of vehicle speed... Especially noticeable in higher gears and/or under higher load...

Just my two cents. I'm probably missing something if nobody else has mentioned it thus far.
Good point, if the engine is revving up and the car isn't accelerating, then there is a power transfer problem. This car ever had a new clutch installed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GeeWiggles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GeeWiggles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GeeWiggles is offline   Reply With Quote