SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
garrett113
garrett113 is on a distinguished road

Default no crank problem

so i i did a voltage check on the purple wire going into the neutral safety switch (the one the shift linkage conects to) when i turned the key i only got .02 volts does this confirm the neutral safety switch is defective. the car is an 02 saturn l300

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to garrett113's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help garrett113 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
garrett113 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: no crank problem

The purple wire is between the neutral safety switch and starter terminal. Did you jiggle the shifter in either Park or Neutral positions while turning the ignition switch to START? The yellow wire is between the ignition switch and neutral safety swtch - you should read 12v when turning the ignition switch to START.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
garrett113

yea i tried the jiggle test but for some reason i couldnt get the button on the gear selector to push in to try in neutral but we tried starting it in neutral earlier and it didnt work.
when testing yellow wire it had 0v in all positions purple wire gave a .02 volts when cranking so basically 0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help garrett113 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

With ignition ON, engine OFF, the shift lever may be locked from the brake/transmission shift interlock (BTSI). You should be able to move it and pressing the brake pedal normally enables moving the shift lever. Try leaving the key in ACC position to move the shift lever.

Have you checked the main 30A IGN fuse?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
garrett113

yea i fuse is good and the shifter will not move into any other position the button wont push in this is a recent problem so now i have 2 problems what do i need to do to btsi to fix this also the fact that when i tested both the ignition yellow wire and the purple solenoid wire and nether had 12v does this mean the ign switch is not sending power to the neautral safety switch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
garrett113

shirter problem fixed battery was low but still when i turn key to crank nothing at all happens all fuses are good i tried switching relays around that didnt do anything and like i said earlier no voltage at the yellow or purple wire. to me sounds like either the park/neatral safety switch or ignition.. thanks for the help much apreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
garrett113

latest update i decided to use a jumper wire from battery to the yellow wire ( from ignition to neutral safety switch) and motor starts to crank this means the ignition switch is faulty correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Using the wiring diagram below, you'll see how 12v starts at the 30A fuse, RED wire to the ignition switch, START contacts, Yellow wire to neutral safety switch, and Purple wire to the starter solenoid.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 02 L300 starting ckt.gif (31.6 KB, 16 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
garrett113

sweet im going to check and see if there is powere at the yellow wire from the ignition switch and if notreplace switch thanks for the help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member
Ex-GMtech is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

It does sound like the ignition switch is faulty. That is assuming the yellow wire isn't broken between the ign sw and the neu/safety switch.

OMG this car is easy to work on!

2000 LW2
1998 Intrigue
1996 Caprice
1994 88
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ex-GMtech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ex-GMtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ex-GMtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
garrett113

ignition switch replaced and car is back up and running thanks for the help great forum you guys got goin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!