SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 04-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
SC2zippo's
SC2zippo's is on a distinguished road

Dizzy odometer stopped working

i just a 1993 sc2 .the guy said the fuel gauge was outta wack and the odometer stopped working well i fixed the fuel gauge by buying a new cluster ,but the odometer is still not working, any idea what sensor is for the odometer ? i know it's gotta be some speed sensor on the wheel or on the tranny just need to know where it is or maybe a wiring on it would help too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2zippo's's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2zippo's reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2zippo's is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: odometer stopped working

The VSS is on the transmission. It sends a signal to the PCM, which in turn sends a signal to the cluster. But it's only one signal in each case. So if the speedometer works, then everything is good up to the cluster. Most common cause of an inop odometer with a working speedometer is a broken odometer gear. Check http://www.odometergears.com .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
brico
brico is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Not to hi-jack this thread but my odometer stopped working yesterday - right after I zero'ed out the trip mileage after filling it up. The speedomoter, tach, fuel, and temp guages all work but neither mileage odo's work.

Am I correct to assume that the gears in the mileage odo's are damaged (most likely from the zero'ing out) and that new gears are required? (see link in previous post).

Is there a DIY for this somewhere? I need to replace the dash cluster bulbs anyway some I'm going to have to pull the cluster.

The car is a 1993 SL2.

Regards,
Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brico's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brico reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
brico
brico is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Replying to myself - the site above www.odometergears.com has instructions on how to remove and disassemble the cluster to get to the gears. The link for this is located in the top left corner of their webpage once you've selected the Saturn model. Looks fairly compete.

Any other tips would be appreciated!

Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brico's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brico reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brico View Post
Replying to myself - the site above www.odometergears.com has instructions on how to remove and disassemble the cluster to get to the gears. The link for this is located in the top left corner of their webpage once you've selected the Saturn model. Looks fairly compete.

Any other tips would be appreciated!

Brian
You can thank me for the writeup. Odometer Gears gleaned the posts that I wrote for removing the Instrument Cluster from the Saturnfans website in August and December 2007. Now, my step by step has been featured in ebay ads for the Odometer Gear.

Where's my compensation

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
JCSC2
JCSC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brico View Post
Not to hi-jack this thread but my odometer stopped working yesterday - right after I zero'ed out the trip mileage after filling it up. The speedomoter, tach, fuel, and temp guages all work but neither mileage odo's work.

Am I correct to assume that the gears in the mileage odo's are damaged (most likely from the zero'ing out) and that new gears are required? (see link in previous post).

Is there a DIY for this somewhere? I need to replace the dash cluster bulbs anyway some I'm going to have to pull the cluster.

The car is a 1993 SL2.

Regards,
Brian
Yup, mine quit a few months ago when I resit the trip odometer too.

1994 Saturn SC2 114,000
1985 MB 300SD 202,000
2000 Mazda 626 90,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JCSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JCSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JCSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
DG3
DG3 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSC2 View Post
Yup, mine quit a few months ago when I resit the trip odometer too.
Sadly, mine did the same thing today. Right after I zeroed the trip odo as well. I just bought the car this morning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DG3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DG3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
DG3

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
You can thank me for the writeup. Odometer Gears gleaned the posts that I wrote.
That sucks. I guess posts can't be copyrighted, unless they're on your own blog?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DG3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DG3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
DG3

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG3 View Post
Sadly, mine did the same thing today. Right after I zeroed the trip odo as well. I just bought the car this morning.
Or actually, maybe I didn't see the odometer because it was dark later in the day. So I'm sure the bulb was out when I bought it this morning, I just didn't notice because I could see the LCD readout during the day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DG3's Reputation
Old 07-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
bttwracing
bttwracing is on a distinguished road

i pickup my odometer gears from them to put ine and all myself very easy job actually any caveman could do it lol

86 T-TYPE
1.59 60 ft. on m/t street radials. 12.44@101 mph,letting off 3/4 track

93 saturn sl2 230k miles

MYSITE http://bttwracing.shutterfly.com/?role=-1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bttwracing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bttwracing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bttwracing is offline   Reply With Quote