SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
kepot111460
kepot111460 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Timing Belt Tensioner

Do I need a new Timing Belt Tensioner. I set it to the mark as noted in the manual. I then turn the crankcase, and I notice that the tensioner goes off the mark. Is this normal? Is it self adjusting itself? or Is there not suppose to be any movement, and i need a new Tensioner?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kepot111460's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kepot111460 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kepot111460 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
s3nfo
s3nfo will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Timing Belt Tensioner

The marks are only good for initial setting of the timing. Once the engine turns, the marks are no longer valid. But, if you're under the cover and changing the belt, you might as well change the tensioner and water pump too cause you know you're just going to be back under the cover replacing one of those in a couple months anyway.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
midway
midway will become famous soon enoughmidway will become famous soon enough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When you rotate the tensioner to the mark and lock it in place by tightening the nut the mount stud it really should not move much if any from that spot. When you rotate it you are putting tension on the belt with the spring inside the tensioner, if it is moving away from the preload mark you either did not get it locked down good enough and it is slipping back to the neutral position or the tensioner is defective. Since an experience I had last year with a tensioner I would replace it just because. I had let the Saturn dealer change the belt for me, I have no idea if they change the pulleys or not, the tensioner bearing failed, horrible racket in the AM when started to go to work. There are three pulleys in that system, they are all brand new in my 3.0L, had the failure occurred on the road I could have lost an engine. The three pulleys are not cheap but they sure cost a lot less than an engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midway's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
kepot111460
kepot111460 is on a distinguished road

I went ahead and ordered a timing belt set to the tune of $200.00. It had tensioner, two pulleys, and belt. I had a new belt so I didnt need this one. I got it in one day, put it on and had a hard time moving the new tensioner, it didnt move. Anyway, the pulleys were great, I think thats what slip on me in the first place. By the way, I had to use the old washer in back of the lower pulley, the new washer was too thin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kepot111460's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kepot111460 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kepot111460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
midway
midway will become famous soon enoughmidway will become famous soon enough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had to use the old washer on mine as well. You install the tensioner pulley and leave the nut so you can rotate the center to put tension on the spring, then while holding the center in place you tighten the nut and that locks the center of the tensioner in place. I am not sure what the spring is rated at in the tensioner, wild guess probably 100 lbs., but it is plenty stiff, takes a lot of pressure to keep that belt from jumping over the cogs in the pulleys. The nut torques to 15 foot lbs. You did roll both of the idler pulleys into the belt before you set the tensioner pulley. Just a thought

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midway's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midway is offline   Reply With Quote