SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member
YourMainParadox is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Saturn Vue shift cables

The dealer lists the part number as 21996493 but I can't find it available anyplace online. I don't really want to pay the nearly $200 that they are asking for it. Where else can I get the shift cables for this? Who has it the cheapest?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4421 they have it for $130 but the model number is different 21996492

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YourMainParadox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YourMainParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Saturn Vue shift cables

What's wrong? Do you need new cables or just new ends?

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

I need new cables for sure. Trademotion said there is no such part number as what the dealer gave me?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

The dealer parts guy lied to me about all the parts numbers I asked for just to try and make me buy from them....... what a ****er.. the real numbers

shift cables 21996492

select lever (plastic coupling) 15212801

shift lever (plastic coupling) 15212802

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

What other parts places would carry this besides the dealer? http://www.trademotion.com... who else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
saturn69
saturn69 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

i believe shifter cables are a dealer only item. or a boneyard

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn69 View Post
i believe shifter cables are a dealer only item. or a boneyard
Yeah, dealer only. Don't bother with junkyard pieces, honestly. They will have mileage on them and will wear out just like yours. Get some new ones and have peace of mind.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // Optima Red // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
jimmyfloyd
jimmyfloyd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

what goes wrong with them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimmyfloyd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimmyfloyd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
what goes wrong with them?
They deteriorate inside. They no longer become easy to move the shifter between gears and will eventually break the plastic shift adjusters. It's a rather common failure. I just did mine 2-ish months ago. It was like driving a new VUE again after the install was complete.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // Optima Red // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
berny
berny is on a distinguished road

someone have the end cables, I just need the little end that fit inside something called shifter bushing or something like that. I have a brand new shift cable but it doesnt have it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to berny's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help berny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
berny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berny View Post
someone have the end cables, I just need the little end that fit inside something called shifter bushing or something like that. I have a brand new shift cable but it doesnt have it
Buy them at the Saturn dealer. The white one is about $35, the black one is about $40.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Heres a good question...how many miles on ur Vue when the cable problem arises? I have 63,000 on my 05 seems to shift fine, but just wondering how long they last before???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
DavidBo
DavidBo will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourMainParadox View Post
The dealer parts guy lied to me about all the parts numbers I asked for just to try and make me buy from them....... what a ****er.. the real numbers

shift cables 21996492

select lever (plastic coupling) 15212801

shift lever (plastic coupling) 15212802

OK, so do I need to order 1 cable assembly and 2 each of the couplings? I have a bad habit of ordering more than I need. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DavidBo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DavidBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
nabber62
nabber62 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2005 2.2 with a manual and about 65,000 on it. I bought new cables because it won't go into 2nd, 4th or reverse and I read that if this happens and there is a pile of graphite below the cable then the cables are shot. My question is, how do I remove the plastic ends from the shifter connection and the transaxle? Thanks in advance for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nabber62's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nabber62 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nabber62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #15
DavidBo

2002 VUE 2.2L

If I ever receive mine I'll be glad to do a pictorial, I ordered them well over a month ago (GMpartsgiant.com) and they're still on backorder! If I don't get results soon I'll cancel and see what the dealer has to offer. Wish me luck...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DavidBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #16
bonkers
bonkers is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I just replaced mine the Tuesday before thanksgiving. I have 119,000 on the car and it was my first set. I ordered mine from the local gm dealer, had them over night them. I was a little upset about the price, but I was unaware that the $182 was for both cables with the ends and the boot that goes through the fire wall. Changing them out didn't take very long, but I work on my own cars a lot...After i put them in and done a quick run through the gears, I actually got out to check and see if they had come loose from the tranz because it shifted so easy! LOL Guess i didn't realize how bad they had gotten over time..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bonkers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bonkers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #17
DavidBo

2002 VUE 2.2L

Bonkers, did your cables come with removable, adjustable connectors at the transaxle end or permanent molded connectors? Mine finally arrived, but it came with permanently installed connectors. The stickshift end has the regular adjustable connector. I'm wondering if this is a modification or did I get the wrong cable. Thanks for any input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #18
onryx2
onryx2 is on a distinguished road

How do you replace the cables? Is this something a person can do without going to the Dealerships? Saturn Dealerships were the best, now I have to go to the Chevy Dealerships.

THanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onryx2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onryx2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onryx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #19
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onryx2 View Post
How do you replace the cables? Is this something a person can do without going to the Dealerships? Saturn Dealerships were the best, now I have to go to the Chevy Dealerships.

THanks.
It's not hard but it is time consuming. You can do it with a ramps but a lift is easier. You will have to take the lower half dash off. That's really the hardest part. I'm pretty meticulous and slow, it took me about 3.5 hrs to do it and it was my first time. Just make sure you get new cables and two new ends for the shift handle side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #20
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Replaced mine today. The fore-aft cable actually broke internally...was stiff when cold, fine when warm for the last few months... Couple days ago started feeling really spongy- and after work tonite it was making a lot of clicking and suddenly snapped exiting third gear. Fortunately, it never pulled it out of third, and I drove the next 4 miles in traffic, with a single gear transmission

2 hours to fix. Hardest part is that connection under the shifter. The stuff under the hood and car is cake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote