SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
scmcketa
scmcketa is on a distinguished road

Default Front end noise while driving but goes away when turning to the left

I have a 97 saturn sl2 automatic with a dohc. It recently devolped a noise while driving. It sounds almost like a grinding noise when you are driving and gets louder the faster you go but if you turn the wheel to the right the noise goes away. I have recently replaced the left front wheel bearing due to excessive play however that did not fix the problem. I checked over all the front end components and they all seem tight with no noticable play. Could it possibly be a right front wheel bearing issue even if there is no play in the wheel? Thanks for the help. Sorry the heading is wrong, the problem does go away when you turn the wheel to the RIGHT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scmcketa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scmcketa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scmcketa is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Front end noise while driving but goes away when turning to the left

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmcketa View Post
I have a 97 saturn sl2 automatic with a dohc. It recently devolped a noise while driving. It sounds almost like a grinding noise when you are driving and gets louder the faster you go but if you turn the wheel to the right the noise goes away. I have recently replaced the left front wheel bearing due to excessive play however that did not fix the problem. I checked over all the front end components and they all seem tight with no noticable play. Could it possibly be a right front wheel bearing issue even if there is no play in the wheel? Thanks for the help. Sorry the heading is wrong, the problem does go away when you turn the wheel to the RIGHT
I'm betting on the right front wheel bearing. The noise going away when turning to right strongly suggests this. You probably won't notice much play unless the bearing is literally falling apart.

Listen closely and if the noise intensifies when you turn to the left, it is most definitely the right front wheel bearing.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
AndreasChen
Advanced Member
AndreasChen is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Front end noise while driving but goes away when turning to the left

I had a similar experience for a weired reason: the brake hose was incorrectly directed.

The hose must have been replaced before I bought it, but worked fine due to the worn tires. As soon as I get new tires, it started to grid... took me several hours to figure out what went wrong...

But sorry, this may not help you too much

02 Saturn SC2
05 Saturn ION
Then I missed the chance of enjoying a brand new Saturn, forever...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AndreasChen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AndreasChen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AndreasChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Mike Honcho
Mike Honcho is on a distinguished road

Sounds exactly like a wheel bearing. I've had these symptoms twice with different cars and in neither case could I feel any slop in the wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike Honcho's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike Honcho reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mike Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
quickster
quickster is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

scmcketa,

Your right front wheel-bearing is bad, trust me. I've been through this quite a few times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quickster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quickster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quickster is offline   Reply With Quote