SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
blue03vue
blue03vue will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default oil filter housing cap stripped

the last time i had the oil changed, i made the mistake of taking it to a shop. now the oil filter housing cap is too tight. i tried and tried but it wouldn't budge. so it back to the shop so that they could remove it but they told me to buy a new cap from the dealer (which i did) because they could get it off but they were going to probably damage it.

well, they ended up completely stripping it and they didn't get it to budge either. now instead of hex-shape, it's basically round. i've seen several posts here in the forums where people have broken the cap, but in my case it's not broken, just stripped. and yes, i've tried the 3/8 ratchet but no luck with that either.

ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue03vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue03vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue03vue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: oil filter housing cap stripped

All is never lost. Look down at the bottom of this thread to find the Similar Threads links and read the first and third threads. You'll have your answer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
blue03vue

2003 VUE 3.0L

i still haven't been able to get the cap off. i read the posts that you referenced, but no luck. the problem isn't with the housing--the housing is not loose at all. i just can't get the cap off. i tried a strap wrench on both the cap and the housing, but i'm using so much force that the strap slips off of the cap.

i have a replacement cap so i don't care about destroying the cap that's currently installed. i already drilled through the hex head and then sticking a screwdriver through the hole to try to turn the cap--all i did was bend the screwdriver!! i was thinking of getting a dremel with a cutoff blade and trying to cut the cap in half and then breaking the pieces out, but i'm afraid i'll be able to the cap portion out, but the threaded potion might be hard to remove.

i[m open to any ideas at this point

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help blue03vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are as many ways to deal with this issue as there are members but it basically boils down to either breaking the cap into pieces or making the center hole large enough to stick a socket and extension through the housing to unbolt the housing fastened to the engine block. The oil filter has one end near the cap that's blocking access; drill through this if necessary to acces the center bolt holding the housing. Punch a hole into it, whatever.

As soon as a hole, large eough to fit pliers/vise grip/whatever, is made in the cap you'll find that cast aluminum should break off easily by gripping pieces of it for breaking off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Heaven forbid anyone strip the housing cast into the block on the Ecotec...

Did GM ever post a contingency plan if one of these quickie oil change places strips one out? New engine?

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Heaven forbid anyone strip the housing cast into the block on the Ecotec...

Did GM ever post a contingency plan if one of these quickie oil change places strips one out? New engine?

Good question but I don't know a sencerio where that could happen. The cap is plastic on the 2.2. What is the cap made of on the 6?

Don't think that because you take your vehicle to a Saturn dealer (RIP) that they can even do an oil change right. I had a case where they did not change the oil filter when they did the change. I did the change before I had Saturn do it during the winter. When I did the next change myself after the Saturn dealer guess what .. An STP oil filter was in the case. I called the dealer his answer "Happens more than you think".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The Vues and L300's use an aluminum cap. It seems that GM decided to go plastic and aluminum.................. Some of us with aluminum caps found out how gorillas overtighten them, never understanding how little torque is needed to simply allow the replaceable O-ring do the sealing against oil pressure leaks. This is the most recent post of another person overtightening the cap............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksLS1 View Post
Good question but I don't know a sencerio where that could happen. The cap is plastic on the 2.2. What is the cap made of on the 6?

Don't think that because you take your vehicle to a Saturn dealer (RIP) that they can even do an oil change right. I had a case where they did not change the oil filter when they did the change. I did the change before I had Saturn do it during the winter. When I did the next change myself after the Saturn dealer guess what .. An STP oil filter was in the case. I called the dealer his answer "Happens more than you think".
You caught them!

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
blue03vue

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: oil filter housing cap stripped - FIXED!!!

ok guys, i finally got this fixed. as i mentioned before, i drilled through the side of the hex head of the cap and then stuck screwdriver through it and tried to turn the cap but no luck (i ruined 2 screwdrivers though).

then i decided to drill through the cap itself, with a bigger drill bit so i could use a larger, stronger screwdriver (waaaay better leverage). that worked!!! cap and filter have been rerplaced, and i didn't have to do anything with the housing.

NOTE: drill the initial hole in the cap then let it drain. after it stops draining, you can continue to drill through to the other side of the cap. drill fast, unless you want a nice oil shower. (yes, the drill bit will be flinging oil everywhere--it's not too bad though). the drill bit will skim the top of the filter, but that's ok.

the filter was so tight i had to leverage my leg against the inside of the frame and then grab the screwdriver with both hands and then push with my leg on the frame while i pulled with both arms.

**I will NEVER let anyone else change my oil on this vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap_drilled.JPG (81.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg screwdriver_cap.JPG (122.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg filter.JPG (52.6 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by blue03vue; 04-11-2010 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: typos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some of them gorillas should be skewered like the cap was................

Great idea of skewering the cap! Now you can simply show the newbies this trick of yours when they post of this problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

BTW, I examined the skewered cap and embossed on it is "15Nm", for Newton-meters. Since our engines are European, the cap numbering means the metric torque for tightening; 11ft-lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screwdriver_cap.JPG (25.4 KB, 33 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:02 AM   #12
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
BTW, I examined the skewered cap and embossed on it is "15Nm", for Newton-meters. Since our engines are European, the cap numbering means the metric torque for tightening; 11ft-lbs.
It probably only needs 11 INCH-lbs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:12 AM   #13
Ricky3Bobby
Ricky3Bobby is on a distinguished road

Default Re: roughneck

I used a 14" pipe wrench. Because of the limited space I had to put the jaw on the stripped nut part and the bottom on the cap housing from underneath the motor. Worked like a champ and I didn't damage the cap bad enough to have to replace. Just push towards the the rear of the car and give a little turn. You'll have to do it like this every time after till the cap is just too ate up to do anymore but... It'll get ya by for a while. Thanks for all the other posts. Keep em coming. I'm new here but plan on posting more as I find more problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ricky3Bobby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ricky3Bobby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ricky3Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote