SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Wagonman
Wagonman is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default 2000 V6 won't start after 1-hour trip

My 2000 LW2 V-6 Wagon is a great car (nearly 10 years, only 48K miles). But now, after a trip of 55 miles (about 1 hr. 20 min.), the car will not start again --idiot lights all go on, but no sound at all from the starter. Some 45 minutes later, it starts like new. On local trips, I have no problem restarting. This began about 6 months ago. Is some part of the starting circuit getting overheated during the trip? --The starter relay, I thought. But my local mechanic says there is no starter relay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wagonman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wagonman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 V6 won't start after 1-hour trip

The possibilities are poor/old battery (older than 5yrs), corroded/loose battery cables, loose ground connection or starter. The easiest checks are to the battery, cables, and ground connection. The difficult check is to the starter and left for last by process of elimination.

There is a starter relay, the one on the starter. Its a solenoid and relay at the same time since this solenoid does pull the starter gear into place while acting as a relay to close a large set of contacts to allow full battery current to power the starter motor. Low mileage suggests many short trips. Many short trips can wear out a starter on a car (with very little mileage) as much as a high mileage one. Mileage is usually used as some comparative basis to determine starter age but sometimes a post comes by with very low mileage. The one or two with low mileage also had many short trips ending with a worn out starter. Short trips in town is the same as many starts in one day, more than some with only two starts for a daily driver going to and from work and coming home, occasionally stopping off for groceries. The second car making many short trips every day simply wears out a starter before mileage accrues.

If your mechanic can do this, have him remove the START wire (the small gauge wire) from the starter solenoid and measure this wire's voltage as someone turns the ignition key to START; turning the ignition key to the START position, releasing the key and repeatedly turning to START again should read 12v every time. The starter won't run this way and will tell him that the ignition switch and Park/Neutral safety switch are working correctly otherwise something is faulty with one or the other switch. A consistent voltage reading at the wire by the starter would verify that the starting circuit is OK and the starter is worn out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
LetsTalkLS2
LetsTalkLS2 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I suspect that it may be your CPS. Unless you make a whole lot of short trips and that is why your mileage is low then the starter shouldn't have enough cycles on it to go bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LetsTalkLS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LetsTalkLS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LetsTalkLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
LetsTalkLS2
LetsTalkLS2 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I misread your problem statement. If the car will not crank that would NOT be caused by a CPS failure. Sorry about that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LetsTalkLS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LetsTalkLS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LetsTalkLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Yes, do check out all the stuff that fdryer said. But I suspect that you may be up for a new/rebuilt starter. I have had two cars over the years of different years and makes that developed an intermittent no crank situation. The old screwdriver across the solenoid terminals trick would get em going instantly. You would think something like an ignition switch or wiring problem, but nothing I did in that area solved the problem. The fix was a new starter. I suspect that the connections inside the solenoid get loose.

In my case the no crank didn't seem to be related to whether the car was cold or hot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
leumas
leumas is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had this exact problem in my 2000 LS2. I took it to the shop and after much diagnostics they found that is was my crankshaft sensor. The sensor would heat up under operating temperatures and not read correctly when starting the car warm. Some how this prevented the car from starting. It was replaced and has been working fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leumas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leumas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Wagonman
Wagonman is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Dear everyone--

I have to have the mechanic check all these suggestions. In the meantime, thank you all for your suggestions (and any more you might have).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wagonman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wagonman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wagonman is offline   Reply With Quote