SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 04-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
saturn94v
saturn94v is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1
Question pag oil install...

so everything went off with out a hitch, my service manual states that 200cc of Pag Oil is required for a new compressor install.
However, I am not certain i was able to keep the proper amount inside the new copmressor.
Here is why:
First, I evacuated the the system.
Next, I removed high/low side ports. Then removed old compressor.
installed new compressor(used from J-Yard) with-out connecting high/low side ports. At this point the F.S.M instructs the TECH to insert 200cc of New Saturn Pag Oil into compressor.
I used a new bottle of Pag 100 w/florou dye. I measured/inserted the New Oil with a syringe that came with a kit I purchased a while back.(it came with The Dye, yellow glasses & other misc A/C testing supplies)
Any way:
Next the "tech" is instructed to connect high/low side ports and then evacuate, charge, and leak test a/c system.

My Concern Is This;
During the evacuation, isn't the newly inserted PAG OIL being "sucked" out? RIGHT? A vacuum must be created so the 134a refridgerent can be installed. Am I correct?
There are other methods of inserting the Pag Oil. For instance; I could insert the oil by installing a "in-line" 2 ounce container that I think(if memory serves me) is installed in-line with the low side port.
The "tech" would first evacuate,(to create the vacuum) then remove the line from the low-side and then install an "in-line" oil injector in between the evac machine and the vehicle's low-side port. ( I would have used this method but my 2 oz injector leaks to much to use it at the moment.)
How can I be sure the system has recieved the proper 200cc of oil?

94 SC1 1.9L SOHC
GM Blue Green
278,429 miles
32+/- AVG/MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn94v's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn94v reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn94v is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1
Default Re: pag oil install...

I put the oil in the low side (commong from evap) and then turn the compressor over by hand a bit to spread it around. If it is a used compressor there is probably some oil still in it.

I never encountered the vaccum pump sucking the oil out.

Draw a vacuum for about 4 hours and then close your gauge valves and let it sit for 30 min to see if it maintained its vacuum. If it did your good. better then putting 134a in and then looking for leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
htguru
htguru is on a distinguished road

Default Re: pag oil install...

you can remove the system oil if you recover from both the vapor and liquid lines (low and high side) if you recover from just the vapor or low side port chances of removing the oil are low. but when the refrigerant is removed from the high side you can remove some system oil. most professional recovery units have a oil separator on the back of the unit just for this purpose. the way i do this is

recover the system.
replace bad compressor
vac the system down to 29.96 hg (make sure it holds vacuum)
while the system is in a vacuum i introduce the new oil via the low side service port and the vacuum pulls the oil into the system.

then charge the system per the charging label under the hood.

done

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to htguru's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help htguru reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
htguru is offline   Reply With Quote