SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
dave991
dave991 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
Default Transmission fluid level

Hi all, I have an 09 Aura, 2.4L 6 speed transmission, 5100 miles. The shifting seems erratic, jerky, and sometimes non responsive, and reminds me of past transmissions with low fluid level in the way it acts. I've had it to the dealer and they say it is not showing any codes so it is normal. Since there is no way to verify the fluid level, short of draining and refilling with fresh Dex VI to the manufature specs of 5.3 QTS, would anyone be willing to remove the transmission fill cap and see if you can see the fluid level? On mine I can not see any fluid what so ever, but not sure if that is normal or not. If anyone could check theirs and let me know what they see that would be great. If you can see the fluid about how far down is it.

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dave991's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dave991 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dave991 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: Transmission fluid level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave991 View Post
Hi all, I have an 09 Aura, 2.4L 6 speed transmission, 5100 miles. The shifting seems erratic, jerky, and sometimes non responsive, and reminds me of past transmissions with low fluid level in the way it acts. I've had it to the dealer and they say it is not showing any codes so it is normal. Since there is no way to verify the fluid level, short of draining and refilling with fresh Dex VI to the manufature specs of 5.3 QTS, would anyone be willing to remove the transmission fill cap and see if you can see the fluid level? On mine I can not see any fluid what so ever, but not sure if that is normal or not. If anyone could check theirs and let me know what they see that would be great. If you can see the fluid about how far down is it.

Dave
Well I'll be. Same car/engine/tranny as you & I just looked under the hood & sure enough there's no tranny dipstick. The engine was stone cold & I could not see any fluid in there with a flashlight. Have not checked it hot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Accordng to the service manual, to check the fluid level, get the engine up to operating tempature then lift the car off the ground. It has to be lifted so the car is level. Then with the engine running and the shifter in "PARK" remove the fluid level set plug. Fluid should slowly drip out. If it streams out, you have too much fluid and let it stream out until it drips. If nothing comes out, add fluid.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Accordng to the service manual, to check the fluid level, get the engine up to operating tempature then lift the car off the ground. It has to be lifted so the car is level. Then with the engine running and the shifter in "PARK" remove the fluid level set plug. Fluid should slowly drip out. If it streams out, you have too much fluid and let it stream out until it drips. If nothing comes out, add fluid.
Gots to get me that service manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

As I recall from last summers discussion on trans fluid levels, the XE 5 speed had no way to check it and the 3.6 / 6 speed had a fill port with dipstick attached. I'll check mine this weekend and see if I have the dipstick. I think mine does.
If it does, then the 2.4 / 6 speed owners should be able to buy a filler cap for and XR with the 3.6 and be able to check the fluid level.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
As I recall from last summers discussion on trans fluid levels, the XE 5 speed had no way to check it and the 3.6 / 6 speed had a fill port with dipstick attached. I'll check mine this weekend and see if I have the dipstick. I think mine does.
If it does, then the 2.4 / 6 speed owners should be able to buy a filler cap for and XR with the 3.6 and be able to check the fluid level.
The procedure I posted was from the Mitchel on-line service manual and was for the 4T45-E. Its what I had available at the time.

Now that I'm home, below are scans from the Saturn Factory Service manuals. Slightly different procedure, but same basic idea.

First is for the 4T45-E:

And next is for the 6T70 / 6T75:

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
dave991

2009 AURA XE

Thanks Mike for the help. I appreciate the scans.

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dave991 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
3 Rings
3 Rings is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
2007 SKY Red Line

I also noticed that there is a procedure called "Service Fast Learn Adapts" that is to be performed after any reflash of the TCM. Can this only be performed with the systems that the dealer has? Any way to have it done by an independent shop?

I know it is not related to checking the fluid level, but it does relate to something I am about to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
The procedure I posted was from the Mitchel on-line service manual and was for the 4T45-E. Its what I had available at the time.

Now that I'm home, below are scans from the Saturn Factory Service manuals. Slightly different procedure, but same basic idea.

First is for the 4T45-E:

And next is for the 6T70 / 6T75:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3 Rings's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3 Rings reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
dave991

2009 AURA XE

Unfortunately this must be for an earlier Aura 6T70 as the 2009 Aura does not have the dipstick that is called out in the procedures. There must be a fluid level plug somewhere. I'll have to jack up the car and do some searching. The owners manual call for 5.3 qts of Dexron VI.

I bought a manual off of ebay and it said for 2007-2009 Aura but the manual was titled as 2007 and it called out the dipstick as well. The owners manual says no dipstick and does not have to checked unless it is leaking, then take it to the dealer.

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave991 View Post
Unfortunately this must be for an earlier Aura 6T70 as the 2009 Aura does not have the dipstick that is called out in the procedures. There must be a fluid level plug somewhere. I'll have to jack up the car and do some searching. The owners manual call for 5.3 qts of Dexron VI.

I bought a manual off of ebay and it said for 2007-2009 Aura but the manual was titled as 2007 and it called out the dipstick as well. The owners manual says no dipstick and does not have to checked unless it is leaking, then take it to the dealer.

Dave
My 07 has the dipstick, so it looks like GM saved a nickle by deleting it and making the process the same as on the smaller transmissions.
So I still think the earliest 07's (built in 06) are the best built Auras out there. Mine has been flawless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
nhlkent11
nhlkent11 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
My 07 has the dipstick, so it looks like GM saved a nickle by deleting it and making the process the same as on the smaller transmissions.
So I still think the earliest 07's (built in 06) are the best built Auras out there. Mine has been flawless.
I dunno, my 07 XR 3.6 (built 10/06) is at 64K and has had more than its fair share of issues. I just had the trans drained and refilled to solve a hard shift issue. Seems better but not as seemless as when I bought it. I've also had rust spots, peeling emblems, new catalytic converter, new strut, ISS, power steering pump/lines/reservior, and more that I'm forgetting. Not to mention I just spent a couple hours dissasembling the dash/console area and door panels to spray with silicone lubricant because the rattling is killing me.

But don't get me wrong, I really love the car or I'd just as soon try to unload it. I'm gonna keep it around a good while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nhlkent11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nhlkent11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nhlkent11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlkent11 View Post
I dunno, my 07 XR 3.6 (built 10/06) is at 64K and has had more than its fair share of issues. I just had the trans drained and refilled to solve a hard shift issue. Seems better but not as seemless as when I bought it. I've also had rust spots, peeling emblems, new catalytic converter, new strut, ISS, power steering pump/lines/reservior, and more that I'm forgetting. Not to mention I just spent a couple hours dissasembling the dash/console area and door panels to spray with silicone lubricant because the rattling is killing me.

But don't get me wrong, I really love the car or I'd just as soon try to unload it. I'm gonna keep it around a good while.
Amazing, Guess my concept that the first ones were put together more carefully, which is not a historical view, which is the reverse. My August 06 car has had none of the problems, except the whine from the PS pump, which I hae just gotten used to. Only rattle I have is the sunroof interior panel when it is pulled back. There is a fix for it, and if I ever have to take the car back in to the shop for some work, I'll have them retrofit it with the fix kit.
Guess I was just lucky.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
nhlkent11
nhlkent11 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Amazing, Guess my concept that the first ones were put together more carefully, which is not a historical view, which is the reverse. My August 06 car has had none of the problems, except the whine from the PS pump, which I hae just gotten used to. Only rattle I have is the sunroof interior panel when it is pulled back. There is a fix for it, and if I ever have to take the car back in to the shop for some work, I'll have them retrofit it with the fix kit.
Guess I was just lucky.
I don't doubt the quality of your Aura one bit Phaeton. I don't clean the interior quite as much as I should which very well may be why it rattles in spots. And I have a little too much fun driving it sometimes which may be somewhat to blame for the mechanical issues.

BTW, the whine from the power steering pump is why I brought mine in when they did the pump/lines/reservior. They told me that whine is a common issue with the XR 3.6. I don't know if you're still under warranty or not but I'd maybe mention it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nhlkent11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nhlkent11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nhlkent11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
Deep6
Deep6 is a jewel in the roughDeep6 is a jewel in the roughDeep6 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I too lament the dipstick delete since I like to check on things. Hey at least with the Electric power steering, there isn't any fluid to leak...just a motor to go bad...

But back to the transmission: The fluid check and fill proceedure is virtually the same as my LS. I had to drain the fluid by removing the pan and filter and cleaning the magnet. Once everything was reassembled, you had to put about 5qts into the transmission. That was about all it would hold. Then you have to warm the engine, transmission up to temperature and with the vehicle running, in park jacked up on jackstands so the transmission is still level with the ground, you have to open the check hole and add more quarts of fluid slowly until the fluid starts to trickle out of the hole.

I was having transmission problems on my LS until I changed the fluid. That car had 232k miles on it before having those problems and I put the Dex 6 in it. It's been good but I want to change the fluid again just to flush out any remaining gunk.

BTW, the Aura's service manual states that the trans fluid should be changed every 50k miles, I'm pretty sure depending on driving conditions.

I was also talking to the Saturn dealer about the transmission re-flash proceedure to keep the trans from hunting all of the time. The guy told me that it can be done but it basically holds 5th gear longer at higher speeds and customers report a 10% hit to fuel economy. I noticed that my trans can't decide if 6th or 5th is right going up a moderate hill at 60mph with the cruise on....

2009 Aura XE 58K miles "She got it in the divorce"
2000 LS1 AT 274K "Family owned since 2000"
1993 SL2 AT 155K "Gone to the Recycled Rest Heap in the Sky"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deep6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deep6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote