SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
hamz98
hamz98 is on a distinguished road

Default 6000rmp constant idle - so confused!!!

Hey guys,

first post, been creeping the board for a weeks now. I have a 1994 SL1 (Stick), that ran fine untill one morning. i woke up and it has been idling at 6000rpm since. I cant get it down. i cleaned the throttle body, its not stuck.

No error codes where present (but the coolent level did light up when i was checking the codes), not sure if this means anything since the oil and battery stayed lite during the whole process?

I cleaned the IACV and TPS. Is there anyway to test to see if these are possible issues? I powered up the car without starting it and the IACV went from about an inch to 4 inches in a matter of seconds. is this normal?

thanks!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hamz98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hamz98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hamz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
bbarbulo
Advanced Member
bbarbulo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 6000rmp constant idle - so confused!!!

don't think this is an IACV problem, given that you're looking at 6K rpm. is the PCV valve hose from the valve cover to the intake manifold cracked? you have a massive vacuum leak somewhere probably. also check the gasket on the EGR valve as well. running the car without the EGR valve present (or gasket gone) would result in very very high rpm as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbarbulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbarbulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bbarbulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
hamz98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarbulo View Post
don't think this is an IACV problem, given that you're looking at 6K rpm. is the PCV valve hose from the valve cover to the intake manifold cracked? you have a massive vacuum leak somewhere probably. also check the gasket on the EGR valve as well. running the car without the EGR valve present (or gasket gone) would result in very very high rpm as well.
hey thanks for the quick reply!
I checked the pcv valve it is fine and still sucks air.
is there anyway to test if it is the EGR Valve??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hamz98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
dcc81187
dcc81187 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1996 SC1

get a can of throttle body cleaner and start spraying it around your intake manifold gasket, vacuum lines, egr, throttle body, and brake booster. if you have a leak the idle will change when the cleaner hits it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcc81187's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcc81187 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcc81187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
hamz98

Thanks! I will try that and post the results.

I added some seafoam to see if that would do anything, and as the PVC was sucking up the liquid seaform the car started to idle at under 2k. do you guys think this symbolizes anything? or maybe it was just about to stall thus the low idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc81187 View Post
get a can of throttle body cleaner and start spraying it around your intake manifold gasket, vacuum lines, egr, throttle body, and brake booster. if you have a leak the idle will change when the cleaner hits it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Letting it idle at 6,000 RPM can't be good.
To see it it's the PCV valve leaking, maybe remove its hose from the intake manifold and plug the opening there.
You can test EGR valve, use a piece of a soda can to block off the EGR opening, at the EGR gasket, then reassemble it.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

+1 on a MASSIVE vacuum leak. But the weird thing is, the PCM should limit the engine speed to 4000-ish while the car is not moving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Have you looked for a vacuum leak from the brake booster hose? This hose is the largest diameter vacuum line connecting the vacuum boost unit to the intake manifold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
hamz98

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Have you looked for a vacuum leak from the brake booster hose? This hose is the largest diameter vacuum line connecting the vacuum boost unit to the intake manifold.
no i havent, where is it located? I found the PCV near the oil cap. since the pvc still sucks air wouldnt that mean the vacuum system is fine-- is it a closed system or are all vacuums dependant?

ps. thanks for the all the help! greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Like the starter that's hidden on the back side of the engine, the vacuum boost hose for the brake canister is hidden unless you look for it between the firewall and engine intake manifold. Just locate the brake boost unit, the large black round unit behind the brake master cylinder, then locate the vacuum port near the bottom of the canister and attached is either the hose sticking out or a right angle elbow with the hose attached. Now trace that hose back to the intake manifold. Normally we all overlook this hose because its sturdy and is out of the way and doesn't interfere with engine access since the hose is the only attachment to the engine for vacuum.

When an engine revs so high at idle its usually a vacuum leak - the intake system is always creating a vacuum so any vacuum used will be attached as a hose fitting. A hose can crack, fall off, left off from maintenance and forgotten about until firing up the engine. If the throttle plate is nearly closed and the only place for air to enter, the higher rpm just means air is getting into the engine someplace else; loose throttle body attachment, loose intake manifold improperly mounted, intake manifold gasket leak from incorrect factory assembly ('01's), vacuum port leaking from hoses cracking/falling off/left off/whatever. A vacuum leak means using the old school technique of hands-on feeling for dry rotted hoses, hose cracks, loose fittings, etc..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
hamz98

solution found!!!

was just a vacuum unplugged

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Success is a good thing.
Check the brake booster hose anyway. I just R&R mine. It wasn't easy but it can be done. I cut off the cracked end at the manifold and re-attached.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote