SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
Couleesmi
Couleesmi is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Saturn ion won't "shift"

Just bought a 2004 Saturn ion quad coupe. It won't "shift" out of low gear. Starts and goes into drive and reverse fine, just won't "shift" up and can only go 20mph or so before it sounded like it was winding up and needed to "shift".. I ran an obd scan that gave me code P0700. Any ideas? Any fixes? Any help is appreciated thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Couleesmi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Couleesmi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Couleesmi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Saturn ion won't "shift"

You didn't go over 20 on your test drive?

TAke it back to the stealer to get your money back, if you can, if not, change the trans fluid- don't flush, then research TSB's and recalls for it and befriend a good mechanic.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
Couleesmi

The seller disclosed it, I got it reallly cheap, since I got it so cheap I'm alright with Putting some money into it. Just not super car smart and just wanted some opinions on what it could be before I take it to the shop Monday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Couleesmi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
Couleesmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
You didn't go over 20 on your test drive?

TAke it back to the stealer to get your money back, if you can, if not, change the trans fluid- don't flush, then research TSB's and recalls for it and befriend a good mechanic.

Will definitely research the recall though!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2015, 12:15 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Which xmission? AF23-5 speed or VT25-E cvt?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #6
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Uh oh dreaded CVT trans? car is going to the boneyard.

https://www.google.com/search?q=P070...700+saturn+ion

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
Couleesmi

Quote:
It is the cvt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Cvt's are relatively new for Saturns. Either try searching within this forum (Ions only) to find more Ion cvt issues or search Vues with their cvt problems. Vues only ran this cvt for two years, every one of them failed to be reliable. GM quietly discontinued cvt Vues (same 2.2L engine).

With no gears to shift like conventional automatic xmissions, cvt's use a steel belt with two variable pulleys (search snowmobile drive system) for unlimited gear ratios. It's already complicated to diagnose and troubleshoot and will cost money to find out if it's damaged beyond repair/rebuilding value or worth it to replace it with another cvt that may fail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

YOu bought a money pit to part out. Many before you have tried and failed( along with the factory).

NO amount of money will fix it.

R.I.P.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Couleesmi: check out the conversion thread in ION Tech. It will explain an option you can take to switch the CVT for an Aisin 5 speed auto that came in the sedans and is much more reliable.

Thread title: VTi To AF23 Transmission Swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

you would be better off swapping the trans for the 5 speed auto.
its definitely doable, as stated already, there is a thread on details of the swap.
youll be wasting money if spent on trying to fix the cvt.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
VentureForth
VentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couleesmi View Post
Just bought a 2004 Saturn ion quad coupe. It won't "shift" out of low gear. Starts and goes into drive and reverse fine, just won't "shift" up and can only go 20mph or so before it sounded like it was winding up and needed to "shift".. I ran an obd scan that gave me code P0700. Any ideas? Any fixes? Any help is appreciated thanks!
According to http://engine-codes.com/p0700_saturn.html, it's a faulty Transmission Control Module. It may be worth a $20-$40 gamble to buy a TCM from eBay. THEN, it MAY require reprogramming at a dealership (probably around $100-$150).

Ensure you have the EXACT same part number located under the bar code.

If this fixes it, I think it's a cheap repair and you got a great deal on a good car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VentureForth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VentureForth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #13
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Yeah, good luck with that . You should tell the factory so they know how to fix it...

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #14
Couleesmi

Quote:
cvt's are relatively new for saturns. Either try searching within this forum (ions only) to find more ion cvt issues or search vues with their cvt problems. Vues only ran this cvt for two years, every one of them failed to be reliable. Gm quietly discontinued cvt vues (same 2.2l engine).

With no gears to shift like conventional automatic xmissions, cvt's use a steel belt with two variable pulleys (search snowmobile drive system) for unlimited gear ratios. It's already complicated to diagnose and troubleshoot and will cost money to find out if it's damaged beyond repair/rebuilding value or worth it to replace it with another cvt that may fail.

does it make any sort of difference if the engine light isnt lit?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #15
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
just won't "shift" up and can only go 20mph or so before it sounded like it was winding up and needed to "shift".does it make any sort of difference if the engine light isnt lit?...
I doubt it if your still stuck to going 20 mph, or what is it's top speed?

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #16
Couleesmi

Quote:
I doubt it if your still stuck to going 20 mph, or what is it's top speed?

That's just as fast as it would go, then it sounded as if it needed to "shift"
Reverse works fine, and I can drive just 20mph is about top speed at the moment :/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

How much will JY's scrap it for in your area?

Of did you want to part it out or are you willing to research and follow through with a AF23 trans swap project as previously mentioned?

HOw rusted is it?

'17 Suby Forester

Last edited by billysvue; 08-18-2015 at 04:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #18
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
does it make any sort of difference if the engine light isnt lit?
Whether its cvt problems or anything else, there are many issues without a check engine light ever turning on. Nothing made is perfect and error codes do not cover every problem. If this were true then there would be no need for repair shops or dealers if everyone can use tools for home repairs. You many be trying to describe the same scenario of two Korean commercial pilots that crashed their airplane short of the runway two years ago in California; the second pilot made the mistake of attempting to switch from auto landing control to manual (actually controlling the landing) too late while the captain was too late in assessing the flight to take over, resulting in crashing the plane at the waters edge destroying the aircraft and killing some people. Automated flight can now operate almost without a pilot placing more training on pilots learning the computer systems that can take off, fly to a destination and land without a pilot ever flying the plane. This now allows inexperienced pilots to fly when flying skills (not computer skills) are still needed for every phase of flying. Younger pilots without any experience in every flying phase relying on computer controls lose the ability to actually fly to stay in the loop. The second pilot never landed at the airport and was never given training to allow the transition from simulated flying to actual flying. Usually two people are flying, one doing the actual flying while the co-pilot monitors everything else as a team concept. Unfortunately this team didn't communicate well together to avoid the crash. Not everything is set in stone. Error codes can not cover everything that can go wrong. If you expect error codes to pop up to tell you what's wrong, you may not be aware of a need to learn about car maintenance to become familiar with many things going wrong without an error code turning on the cel.

While not 100% familiar with cvt's but do understand how they work, no one has ever posted cvt error codes here while in the Vue forums with many cvt failures, no one posted error codes pointing directly to cvt failure. Any error codes that were generated were always indirect without providing the "the whatchmacallit snapped and is sounding like a water hammer" definition". Your description without any error code(s) may be describing cvt failure similar to Vue cvt's failing - error codes never pointing to cvt failure but the car drives wrong. Seat of the pants descriptions still goes a long way to figuring out many things when error codes don't appear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #19
Couleesmi

Quote:
How much will JY's scrap it for in your area?

Of did you want to part it out or are you willing to research and follow through with a AF23 trans swap project as previously mentioned?

HOw rusted is it?

No rust on it, it's actually a nice looking car

I had thought about scraping, but I don't know how much I'd get, I've only scraped once before and that was a long while ago. And parting out wouldn't be bad, but I'd almost like to get it fixed and just sell it.
I did find the same transmission for $294 on eBay free shipping and 6 mo warranty.. Or there is one that might work on Craigslist in my area..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #20
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

YOu're rolling the dice...

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!