SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default "Service Air Bag"

I was stopped at a stop light earlier today when I heard 3 "dings" and my Information Center showed, "Service Air Bag." The light of the guy with the air bag on top of him displayed, also (at the top of the fuel gauge). I went a couple of miles, parked, ran an errand, then came back to the car to come home. When I started it up, it didn't do it again.

Has anyone had this happen? I'm wondering if it's a fluke or if I should take it to the dealer to check the air bag. It's under warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: "Service Air Bag"

mine did it twice in a week about 4 or 5 months ago and hasnt done it since. as long as airbag light doesnt come on everything should be ok. probably computer glitch that reboots when you restart the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
UForgotten
UForgotten is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XR

If you can FIND a dealer to work with you on it, you will want to fix it while it is under warranty. Luckily I had this fixed in my '07 Aura XR, took three trips to finally resolve it... turns out it was the passenger sensor. If it shorts out, it trips an airbag failure code. It was supposedly not a fun repair, they claimed they had to take apart the whole seat because the sensor sits INSIDE the upholstery. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to UForgotten's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help UForgotten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
UForgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
I was stopped at a stop light earlier today when I heard 3 "dings" and my Information Center showed, "Service Air Bag." The light of the guy with the air bag on top of him displayed, also (at the top of the fuel gauge). I went a couple of miles, parked, ran an errand, then came back to the car to come home. When I started it up, it didn't do it again.

Has anyone had this happen? I'm wondering if it's a fluke or if I should take it to the dealer to check the air bag. It's under warranty.
Mine did it twice about two weeks ago. Didn't happen again since. If it does it over and over I guess it has to get looked at. In the years I have had the XR is have seen a lot of the warning messages like service traction control, service stability control, and lastly service air bags.
I just chalk it up to computer control everything.. Sensors and balanced inputs are impossible to keep pure so I expect these occasional warning messages.
So I don't worry about them unless they come on and stay on..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I called the Service Manager at my (former) Saturn dealer which is now a Cadillac/Buick/GMC/Chevy dealer. They have always taken GREAT care of me. He said he has seen this happen and it's always been one of two things:
1 - The airbag module in the passenger seat, or
2 - The battery to that module is getting a low voltage.

He said there's no danger of the airbag deploying accidentally, and that the airbag would work properly if I had a front collision.

I'm scheduled to take it in Tuesday morning. He said the diagnostic they'll run will tell then what code prompted my "Service Air Bag" warning. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the posts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
nhlkent11
nhlkent11 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

As others have mentioned, it very well could be the passenger presence sensor. It's a common failure. I had mine replaced not long ago with the same symptoms - Service Air Bag light on intermittently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nhlkent11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nhlkent11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nhlkent11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

It happened to me too on my 07 XR.

They had to dismantle the passenger seat to locate and change the sensor.
It has been o/k since, although occasionally I get false chimes that go away after restarting the car (Computer reset).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Every one of my three cars will show a "service airbag" light from time to time (very long periods of time between, very random). Stopping, shutting the car off and back on again clears is up every time. Must be the airbag gremlins.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
Robbins65
Robbins65 is on a distinguished road

Wrench Re: "Service Air Bag"

I just brought my 07 Aura home from the dealer the other day. I had the same problem. Mine started out every once in a while, but then it became frequent without warning. My wife and I would be going down the road and I would get the three "dings" and then the error message. Or the airbag wouldn't come on at all. The dealer fixed it after about the fourth trip. It was the sensor in the passenger seat. It comes as a kit... new bladder, sensor, and passenger heater. The seat has to be taken out and the cover stripped off and then replace everything inside. Get it done while under warranty!!! The kit is almost $1000. if it's out of warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robbins65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robbins65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robbins65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbins65 View Post
Get it done while under warranty!!! The kit is almost $1000. if it's out of warranty.
Being the airbag is a safety item, wouldn't this be covered under a different warranty other than the basic 3yr/36k?

I know EPA mandated items are warranted to @ least 80k.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

3/36 was the only warranty safety or not. onstar can tell you the code if you push blue button

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbins65 View Post
It comes as a kit... new bladder, sensor, and passenger heater. The seat has to be taken out and the cover stripped off and then replace everything inside. Get it done while under warranty!!! The kit is almost $1000. if it's out of warranty.
A grand! Thanks for the heads up. But it is outrageous for a seat sensor which is essentially a fancy micro-switch.

Note to self: buy the extended warranty when my B-to-B is up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

Mine did the same thing and they replaced the sensor in the passenger seat under warranty too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
oachalon
oachalon is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Mine does it once in a while and its definitely my sensor in the passenger seat. I think the connection is just corroded a little.

It also did it once when my battery level was low.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oachalon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oachalon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Had this problem intermittently on my AURA for about a year. Especially when passengers were entering and exiting my car via the passenger seat.

Dealer replaced passenger sensor under warranty. No problems since.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
jimmyfloyd
jimmyfloyd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Mine has started doing this, but it only stays on for a short while and then goes off on it's own. It is unfortunately short enough that i can't get an onstar rep on the phone before it goes off, so they never see anything. I believe I am out of Warranty for it at 77k. Is there anything that can be done?

Also, found the PN for the seat and sensor kit: 15780668

It is Currently $375 on GMPartsDirect.com

Found Via this Listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Satur...item27bab36637

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimmyfloyd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimmyfloyd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #17
carjones
carjones is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
Mine has started doing this, but it only stays on for a short while and then goes off on it's own. It is unfortunately short enough that i can't get an onstar rep on the phone before it goes off, so they never see anything. I believe I am out of Warranty for it at 77k. Is there anything that can be done?

Also, found the PN for the seat and sensor kit: 15780668

It is Currently $375 on GMPartsDirect.com

Found Via this Listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Satur...item27bab36637
I'm in the same boat... I think the only option is to bite the bullet and have the PPS replaced. The labor cost is going to be high because they have to modify the wiring harness; GM currently uses a different PPS which requires a WH mod, in addition to installing the new kit. And pray the donít rip you leather seat cover Ya gotta love GM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #18
MissBones
MissBones is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Mine did this a few times, mainly only when it was below 10 degrees in the winter. I had it looked at once and by the time the dealership looked at it the light had shut off while it was at the shop but they told me that for now it was alright, but next time the light came on I might not be so lucky, in which case the passenger side sensor would have to be replaced and I was told it would be around $700 or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MissBones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MissBones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MissBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #19
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
Mine did it twice about two weeks ago. Didn't happen again since. If it does it over and over I guess it has to get looked at. In the years I have had the XR is have seen a lot of the warning messages like service traction control, service stability control, and lastly service air bags.
I just chalk it up to computer control everything.. Sensors and balanced inputs are impossible to keep pure so I expect these occasional warning messages.
So I don't worry about them unless they come on and stay on..
this.

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #20
svenster
svenster is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Me too. Passenger sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svenster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svenster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote