SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Kaervak
Kaervak is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default UIF TECH U381 OBDII Scanner owners, look inside.

There are a few of us on the board that own this scanner: http://www.uiftechnology.com/sdp/661...live_data.html

If you look at the U581 model, it's physically identical to the U381. U581: http://www.uiftechnology.com/sdp/661...live_data.html

Well, the U381/U581 aren't just physically identical, they're the exact same hardware inside just with different software. The U581 supports everything the U381 does plus it has CAN support. The hacker in me tried updating my U381 with the latest U581 software. The update software picked up the scanner right away and flashed the firmware without issue. I haven't yet scanned a CAN equipped vehicle, but regular OBDII scanning works just as before. Live data, monitor information and every other function of the OBDII U581 software works just fine on my U381 labeled unit.

If anyone else is feeling adventurous, here's the link to the U581 software update: http://memoscan.cn/uploadfile/downlo...%20ENGLISH.rar It includes the updating software so that's all you'll need to download.

Picture of my U381 with the U581 software: http://imgur.com/Bkrjq.jpg

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything

Last edited by Kaervak; 03-28-2010 at 03:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
bobthebuilder
bobthebuilder is on a distinguished road

Default Re: UIF TECH U381 OBDII Scanner owners, look inside.

Hi,

I was wondering how you updated the U381 with the U581 software?
Also i was wondering after updating the U381 with the u581 software if it works with OBD2 and Can-Bus Vehicles?

Thank You,

Bobthebuilder

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobthebuilder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobthebuilder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Kaervak
Kaervak is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
Hi,

I was wondering how you updated the U381 with the U581 software?
Also i was wondering after updating the U381 with the u581 software if it works with OBD2 and Can-Bus Vehicles?

Thank You,

Bobthebuilder
What perfect timing, I was just about to update this thread.

For updating the U381 to a U581, all you need to do is download the update software above and follow the steps in the included text file. I think on the memoscan.cn they have a step by step guide in their downloads section too.

After the update all the functions of the U581 software work perfectly fine. All live data, code retrieval, freeze frame and whatnot are perfectly fine. The only downside is the cable included with the U381 doesn't have a pin 1 connection. You can read all non GM CAN cars just fine with the standard U381 cable. I'm in the process of getting an OBDII cable with a pin 1 data connection and will update this thread once I get the cable and try it again on a GM CAN equipped vehicle.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Jim-Mass
Jim-Mass is on a distinguished road

Just got a U381 and gm uses J1850 VPW for 03 thru 06 pins 2-4-5-16 but not 10 or if it' CAN it uses 4-5-6-14-16 all these pins are live on my cable but I haven't tried the upgrade yet

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim-Mass's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim-Mass reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim-Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
monkey
monkey is on a distinguished road

Hi, i have a u381 scanner and can't figure out how to update it, i download the file and get the scanner plugged in with the screen where you connect to ports, open files and update screen but i can't find a file to open to update it, am i being dull or is it quite difficult to do? the file i download is also a rar file that my laptop can't open, any help would be appreciated, cheers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to monkey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help monkey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
the file i download is also a rar file that my laptop can't open, any help would be appreciated, cheers
rar is a compression format, like zip. Before you can use a zipped or rar file, you have to decompress it.

You can download a free trial of win-rar to decompress (extract) the file. You can also try the always-free open source 7-zip; iirc they added rar compatibility a couple years back

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 162k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
bobthebuilder
bobthebuilder is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know where I can buy a OBD2 cable for the memoscan u581, Ive searched everywhere. Ive searched online but you have to buy a new scanner to get the cable. Any help would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobthebuilder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobthebuilder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
meteotietar
meteotietar is on a distinguished road

does anyone knows pinout for both db25 and obd connectors on cable supplyed with U581 unit? Thanks and regards from Spain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to meteotietar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help meteotietar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
meteotietar is offline   Reply With Quote