SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #81
FullNelson13
FullNelson13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
2000 SL1
Default Re: The definitive guide to Gen3 S-series instrument cluster bulb replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelleee View Post
when replacing the DRL bulb does it have to be green as well? or is the plastic face tinted green?
It is tinted green

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FullNelson13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FullNelson13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FullNelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #82
KllerInstnct01
KllerInstnct01 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

This thread was extremely helpful. Thank you!

'01 Sl1 146k

Last edited by KllerInstnct01; 10-01-2012 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: Found info requested.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KllerInstnct01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KllerInstnct01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KllerInstnct01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #83
sga000
sga000 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The definitive guide to Gen3 S-series instrument cluster bulb replacement

I have such a basic question that I know you'll laugh at me (or shake your head).

I have a 2004 Saturn L300, and the odometer bulb has failed. I've gotten to the point where I need to remove the hex head screws holding the instrument cluster in place. What tool do I need? I watched the richpin video, and it looks so simple. Is he using a nutdriver? He mentions the 7mm screw in his video. Is that the same on all models? I guess I could buy a whole set, but if someone can tell me the specific one that I need that would be great!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sga000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sga000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sga000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #84
sga000
sga000 is on a distinguished road

I don't see a way to edit my last post (right before this one), so I'll just post another. I wonder if there's anyone answering posts on this thread any more. I went to an auto parts store and got a 7mm socket. I had a "standard" socket set, so the handle and 1/4" drive were already there for me, so I just attached the new socket. Worked perfectly.

Now I need a new LED for the odometer. I've already ordered a couple from superbrightleds, but I may go to the auto parts store and see if they have something right away. If they do have something, I could always use the ordered ones later. From what I've read though (here and other forums), it's unlikely that an auto parts store will have an LED that works for my Saturn. It's worth a try.

Thanks for a very helpful thread! I could have never tackled such a thing on my own.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sga000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sga000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sga000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 AM   #85
bryanr72
bryanr72 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Question Re: The definitive guide to Gen3 S-series instrument cluster bulb replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 547URN PR0UD View Post
Sounds good, but with the turn signal lights and such. If you want them to retain their color I would buy that exact color, because I bought some blue one for the green turn signal lights and they only shine blue when on, they just blast right through that colored film.
Oh and be sure to order the B8.4D model LED's because those work for sure in every socket (I ordered the B8.5D at first as described earlier in the thread).

Did you use an B8.4D for the odometer light?

-Bryan
2000 Saturn SL2
5 Speed
116K Miles
Blackberry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryanr72's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryanr72 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bryanr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #86
RadioRon
RadioRon is on a distinguished road

First off, a huge THANK YOU to the originator of this thread for the great information & photographs. I have collected the necessary bulbs via the Masachusetts website recommended by an above poster, plus I got the odometer LED from the business that used to be my local Saturn dealer. I however, have an added question.

Are there a couple of the tiny blue-based bulbs lighting the HVAC control dials at the bottom on the instrument pod? I assume so as the HVAC dial lights rise & dim with the other instrument cluster bulbs. IF SO, is it fairly easy to gain access to these lights once I have the black instrument panel bezel removed? Thanks again people, this has been very informative!

1996 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RadioRon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RadioRon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RadioRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #87
547URN PR0UD
547URN PR0UD is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanr72 View Post
Did you use an B8.4D for the odometer light?
Sorry I took so long, and yes those are the ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRon View Post
First off, a huge THANK YOU to the originator of this thread for the great information & photographs. I have collected the necessary bulbs via the Masachusetts website recommended by an above poster, plus I got the odometer LED from the business that used to be my local Saturn dealer. I however, have an added question.

Are there a couple of the tiny blue-based bulbs lighting the HVAC control dials at the bottom on the instrument pod? I assume so as the HVAC dial lights rise & dim with the other instrument cluster bulbs. IF SO, is it fairly easy to gain access to these lights once I have the black instrument panel bezel removed? Thanks again people, this has been very informative!
I looked into trying to replace those lights but it looked like a much harder job if memory serves correct.
Just to be clear, you are talking about all the lights for the radio and A/C correct? I think that would require a lot more disassembly to get to those.

------Only car I drive and have ever owned to date, would be a Saturn.------
------Car ain't going any faster....Might as well make it look good.------

2000 SL
SOHC
5 Spd. Manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 547URN PR0UD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 547URN PR0UD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
547URN PR0UD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #88
RadioRon

No, not the lights for the radio.... those are in the radio. I mean the lights that illuminate the heater/ac dials (NOT the LEDs in the defroster pushbutton, either). One of these lights also shines down to illuminate the cupholder (or ashtray if you still have it there). They are working off the cluster dimmer... woulda thought they would be the same kind of blue-based bulbs.

1996 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RadioRon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #89
547URN PR0UD

2000 SL

Quote:
No, not the lights for the radio.... those are in the radio. I mean the lights that illuminate the heater/ac dials (NOT the LEDs in the defroster pushbutton, either). One of these lights also shines down to illuminate the cupholder (or ashtray if you still have it there). They are working off the cluster dimmer... woulda thought they would be the same kind of blue-based bulbs.
I've never actually pulled that portion out to see how those are lit.
I've read that the 98's and 99's used the #74 LED's.

I'm not sure the 2000's would use the same bulb since the HVAC controls are different. Best way is to start pulling things out and looking, I don't know if anyone here has tried replacing those or not.
If you check youtube and search "Replacing temperature slider bulb and AC/REC button bulbs" there's a guy replacing a 95-99 series bulb.

Hope that helps.

2000 SL
SOHC
5 Spd. Manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 547URN PR0UD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #90
RadioRon

Quote:
I'm not sure the 2000's would use the same bulb since the HVAC controls are different. Best way is to start pulling things out and looking, I don't know if anyone here has tried replacing those or not.
Ok, thanks. I would have thought that this question would have come up a lot earlier in this thread, given that its three years old. Too bad Saturn made it such a mystery in the first place by not including this information in the owner's manual.

1996 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #91
547URN PR0UD

2000 SL

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I would have thought that this question would have come up a lot earlier in this thread, given that its three years old. Too bad Saturn made it such a mystery in the first place by not including this information in the owner's manual.
Someone else might know the answer. And yea the Saturn manual is pretty close to useless haha.
After I finished the instrument cluster the only other lights I focused on was the dome light, headlights, trunk light, and additional external LEDs.

2000 SL
SOHC
5 Spd. Manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #92
FullNelson13
FullNelson13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
2000 SL1

Quote:
The hvac bulbs in the third gen are soldered into a circuit board. You could put 5mm or 3mm leds in place of the incandescent bulbs but you're going to need resistors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FullNelson13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FullNelson13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FullNelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #93
TrEvor1
TrEvor1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

So when you figure out the positive and negative contacts on the bulb how do you figure out the pos and neg on the actual cluster itself?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TrEvor1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TrEvor1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TrEvor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #94
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrEvor1 View Post
So when you figure out the positive and negative contacts on the bulb how do you figure out the pos and neg on the actual cluster itself?
Trial and error. I think there was a picture somewhere that showed what was what.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #95
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There is a white dot on most quality LED assemblies to mark the positive. So you install all LEDS and then connect the cluster and see how many are in backwards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #96
TrEvor1
TrEvor1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

So I'm replacing my bulbs now but the cardboard backing is not in place I'm thinking the previous owner forgot to reinstall it does it matter if its in or not? It's a 2000 sl1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TrEvor1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TrEvor1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TrEvor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #97
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Refer to the pics in the very first post of this thread. The negative side of each bulb is marked and the OP generously took pics of the back of the cluster with the bulbs installed correctly.

Quote:
So I'm replacing my bulbs now but the cardboard backing is not in place I'm thinking the previous owner forgot to reinstall it does it matter if its in or not? It's a 2000 sl1
It's not a big deal. I forgot to put my cardboard back in and I don't plan on taking the cluster out just to put it back in place. It's been like this for at least 3 years, and everything is still working fine.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #98
magsSC2
magsSC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

In the photos, on the left there is what kind of looks like a little battery. I accidentally broke this off and now half my dash is dark. Can anyone tell me what this is?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magsSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magsSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magsSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #99
547URN PR0UD

2000 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsSC2 View Post
In the photos, on the left there is what kind of looks like a little battery. I accidentally broke this off and now half my dash is dark. Can anyone tell me what this is?
That's a capacitor, someone that works with electronics should be able to solder back in place for you. Otherwise you may need a new cluster

2000 SL
SOHC
5 Spd. Manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #100
magsSC2
magsSC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
That's a capacitor, someone that works with electronics should be able to solder back in place for you. Otherwise you may need a new cluster
Crap. That's what I was afraid of...Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magsSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magsSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magsSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote