SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #41
DrGonzo
DrGonzo is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default Re: The definitive guide to Gen3 S-series instrument cluster bulb replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionful View Post
I hope to find a VUE dash cluster at a junk yard to put in my 2001 SL2. Those look a lot better and the needles glow. Hopefully they use all LED's.
Is that possible? Does it matter what generation VUE cluster it is to work with a GEN3 SL?

2000 SL1 164k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrGonzo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrGonzo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #42
DrGonzo

2000 SL1
Default Re: The definitive guide to Gen3 S-series instrument cluster bulb replacement

OK, so I ordered 6 B8.5D-WHP(Cluster/Gauges), 3 B8.5D-Green(Turn Signal/DRL), 1 B8.5D-Blue(High Beam), 2 B8.5D-GHP(Opera), and 2 B8.5D BHP(Opera)

So I tested all the bulbs with the 9v battery, and they work fine. But I've only been able to get the Opera Lights and one of the turn signal lights to fire. I tried out both the Red and Blue high power lights in the opera and they work fine, but don't work anywhere else, and only one of the green regular power lights will fire in the turn signal position. I've tried bending the contacts down, wiggled the lights, pulled on them after putting them in and everything. Anyone have any other suggestions before I put the old lights in and send all these LEDs back for the 8.4?

2000 SL1 164k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DrGonzo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #43
DrGonzo

2000 SL1

and now that I've got the original bulbs back in, some of those don't even work!

2000 SL1 164k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #44
DrGonzo

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
and now that I've got the original bulbs back in, some of those don't even work!
got some of the originals working, tested them on a 9v just like with the LEDs, and only 4 of the original 10 work now. Shipping them LEDs back tomorrow for the B8.4D base bulbs which look identical to the OEM bulb bases. Hopefully that works, if not I'm probably gonna take the cluster out back and shoot it

2000 SL1 164k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #45
DrGonzo

2000 SL1

and finally it's all done! Looks really good with all HP cool white bulbs behind the gauges, and HP blue bulbs in the theater. I tried it with HP Red bulbs in the theater and it looks really good as well, but I think the blue was better.

pics!

2000 SL1 164k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #46
beeray
beeray is on a distinguished road

WoW! some nice work there guys!! I just got a 96 SC1 a couple of weeks ago and i wanna get some of those coOl LEDs. I might do a red backlighting with a blue theater. Most of this seems to be for gen3 S series. does anyone know how many bulbs (assuming they are #73) that i will need for the illumination for a gen 2? it looks like the theater lighting has 2 bulbs right? Thanks very much!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beeray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beeray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #47
547URN PR0UD
547URN PR0UD is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

I believe you are looking the #74, and the replacement LED's can be bought from superbrightleds. I am not sure how many bulbs, I would look for a picture of the rear of the cluster, or just pull it out in your car, I know in the SL's it's a 10-15 min process.
Btw, Gonzo, I like the way the dash turned out!

------Only car I drive and have ever owned to date, would be a Saturn.------
------Car ain't going any faster....Might as well make it look good.------

2000 SL
SOHC
5 Spd. Manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 547URN PR0UD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 547URN PR0UD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
547URN PR0UD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #48
bitterlemons
bitterlemons is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

A word of warning to those who, like me, might get ahead of themselves in replacing the bulbs. I took out the instrumnent panel and removed all the busted bulbs, then put it back. I'm assuming it needs all bulbs to be installed before any light up, because mine has been dark ever since. I finally received the new bulbs in the mail recently, and hopefully when I put them in the rest will come back to life!

2006 Vue, 4cyl auto, 160,000km.
2000 SW2, 262,000km. (R.I.P)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bitterlemons's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bitterlemons reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bitterlemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #49
green onion
green onion is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 SL1

Great post on replacing lights. Can anyone share with me how to replace the lights for the hvac unit esp. the lower one which lights up the three switches, a/c,rear defogger and recycle air switches. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to green onion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help green onion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
green onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #50
IVIYTH0S
IVIYTH0S is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1997 SL2

I still need to take mine apart one day soon and adjust the two LEDs behind the Tachometer since they don't work when it's pretty cold out and one works when get's a little warmer in the car and the other will come on if the heater has been running for a bit. (Warm to hot days over 65F and they all work fine, those are the only two that have given me issues. Probably thermal compression on the contacts that need to be bent more to compensate)

Name: "Spork" - Mileage: 162K - Trans: (MP2) - owned (8/6/09) to Present - Current Best Mileage Est: 41mpg -Mods: H&R Sport springs, KYB GR-2 struts, Ebay WAI, OBX header, A/C Delete, LED Instruments

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IVIYTH0S's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IVIYTH0S reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IVIYTH0S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #51
Kai
Kai is on a distinguished road

Hey Gonzo, was ordering the 8.4s instead of 8.5s what finally got it all working for you? I have the same issue, working operas but nothing else would fire with the leds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kai's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kai reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #52
Ashyukun
Ashyukun is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

It's been quite a while- but I finally have the SL2 in the garage doing a lot of other work and finally took the time to pull the cluster and replace the bulbs with LEDs.

As I said in my earlier posts, instead of using white LEDs or something similar, I color-matched for the tinted areas (green for turn signals & the DRL, blue for the high beam) and replaced all the theater/backlight bulbs with red LEDs for easier night driving. Unfortunately, my camera isn't the best, but here's how it turned out.

First picture is just lights on, ignition off so you can see the red LEDs look in general. The second has the DRL and a turn signal LED lit (that took a few tries...), and the final shows the high beam LED illuminated. The second and third are a bit fuzzy, but you can see the relative brightness of the color-matched LEDs to the non-replaceable idiot lights.

Overall, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Only issue is that it seems my odometer bulb isn't working, which is weird since it's the only one I didn't even touch...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0133.jpg (33.6 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0134.jpg (39.8 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0135.jpg (37.6 KB, 207 views)

-Blackberry 2000 SL2 "Hotaru" (currently for sale- http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/4709225214.html)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ashyukun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ashyukun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ashyukun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #53
Kai
Kai is on a distinguished road

Finally all working! Per DrGonzo's post I ordered some 8.4D leds instead of 8.5D and those worked much, much better in my 2002 SC2. Consequently I have 6 white HD leds from superbrightleds.com that are the 8.5D base that I can't return (been too long) and can't use, if someone wants them for cheap let me know.

Its light out right now, but tonight I'll get some pictures of the new red light cluster and post them up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kai's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kai reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #54
silvergagt04
silvergagt04 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

These are almost more trouble then they are worth. Just got done putting them in but the turn signal and high beam indicators would not work with the LEDs so I had to put the old bulbs in those spots. They look slick (went with the 4 blue HPs and the rest white HPs. Also I took the cluster apart and removed that lame blue plastic in the operas. Time for bed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvergagt04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvergagt04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silvergagt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #55
KermitTX
KermitTX is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2

Just changed my instrument cluster to blue background lights with green odometer. Much easier to get in there than Richpins video shows (I don't touch my car without first consulting Richpins!). Only had to remove the top panel then yank the front trim panel out to get to the cluster on a 2000 SC2. The LEDs are really tricky to get working. You need to bend the connections around to get them right. The easiest way to deal with touchy connections and the LED polarity is to leave the cluster plugged in as you replace the lamps. Just turn on whatever you're replacing and keep fiddling with them until the come on.

I need to open it back up because one of the opera lights isn't working and I forgot the cardboard backing. Some of the original lights were burned out. I replaced 3 lamps and there is a dark area in the middle. I think there is a fourth lamp that need to be replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0807112115.jpg (38.4 KB, 213 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KermitTX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KermitTX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KermitTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #56
jsevinsk
Advanced Member
jsevinsk is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

Where can I buy some incandescent bulbs that will fit? I bought some 8.4D cool white LED bulbs, and although they work OK, I like the look of the incandescent bulbs better. But I'm having a hard time finding them, at least for a reasonable price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsevinsk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsevinsk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jsevinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #57
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsevinsk View Post
Where can I buy some incandescent bulbs that will fit? I bought some 8.4D cool white LED bulbs, and although they work OK, I like the look of the incandescent bulbs better. But I'm having a hard time finding them, at least for a reasonable price.
Go to your local Chevrolet dealer and order p/n 22695949. That is the p/n for the I/P cluster bulbs for a 2005-2006 Chevy Equinox. The bulbs are the same as what came with your car and will work fine.

FWIW my local Chevy dealer wants ~$2.50/bulb. While that is a bit pricey, keep in mind that no parts store carries them and ordering them online doesn't save you much money after shipping costs are figured in.

I don't recommend getting them from a salvage yard because you have a good chance at getting bulbs that are already burned out or will burnout shortly after putting them in.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #58
Sidneyaks
Sidneyaks is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

This may be an idiot question, but are you guys not removing the yellowish color filters? I think that this looks freaking amazing, and would love to do something like this (considering half my bulbs are already burned out) to match my stereo.

Last edited by Sidneyaks; 08-18-2011 at 11:06 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sidneyaks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sidneyaks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sidneyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #59
jsevinsk
Advanced Member
jsevinsk is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
FWIW my local Chevy dealer wants ~$2.50/bulb.
The Chevy dealer near me wanted to charge me $4/bulb.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsevinsk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsevinsk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jsevinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #60
Jess Lookin
Jess Lookin is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Found a Vue cluster in the jy today, will be ordering blue led's before it goes in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jess Lookin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jess Lookin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jess Lookin is offline   Reply With Quote