SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
netray
netray is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default 2008 Aura A/C Drain (Duck valve) Clogged

I searched the internet for information to unclog my A/C drain (Duck Valve) plug, I can’t find it under the hood on the lower firewall, and does anyone have pictures of the valve location? I can’t stand the smell coming out of my vents when the A/C is on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to netray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help netray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
netray is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
Default Re: 2008 Aura A/C Drain (Duck valve) Clogged

Is that what lets condensation drip when the A/C is running? I never realized there was actually a valve there. Makes sense, but I just figured it was an open hose/line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
netray

2008 AURA XE

Yes, and I can't locate it. HELP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help netray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I can't help you on where it is exactly but the general location is in the lower firewall area in the middle of where the HVAC box would be from the inside. Its just a small rubber valve to allow condensation to drain from moisture build up using the a/c in humid weather. Poking it open should allow water to drain out. Although this is for draining water, it can not cure sneaker stink as its always an issue for almost every car using a/c. Most new models have an antibacterial coating applied from the factory or added during warranty service complaints to lessen bacteria growth on the evaporator coils, the surface areas where condensation forms. To rid this on your own if not serviced by GM under warranty you'll have to practice a new routine prior to shutting off the a/c system as well as treating the HVAC box with alternate deodorizers. There's also replacement of the cabin air filter if your car has one and you forgot to replace it. This alone can make a world of difference.

The various deodorizers are Ozium, Frigi-Fresh, Frigi-Clean, and GM's HVAC treatment. In order from least to most expensive. The idea is to spray one of the first three products into the fresh air intake at medium fan speed set for a/c on or off so these products are directed onto the offending evaporator coils. The windows are left partially open while the deodorizers settle onto the coils. The engine can be left idling as the blower moves air through. Since these emit strong odors it should be done at the end of the day or when you won't be driving as soon as this is sprayed. Give it time to work, according to each products instructions, and you'll have removed most if not all of the offending odors. The next is to follow a set routine to allow a/c condensation to evaporate as much as possible before shutting off the engine. Leaving the a/c on or shutting it off just when shutting the engine off promotes bacterial growth from all the "fresh air" mixed in with condensation. The petri dish is in effect in every vehicle with a/c systems. The routine is to shut off the a/c and run in ventilate mode for the last few minutes or as much as you can stand the heat coming back into the car. By giving the coils a chance to have only air flowing over it instead of condensing moisture when the a/c is on will help dry off these coils and lessen the chances of continuing the growth of bacteria. Periodic treatment with one of the recommended products and filter changes will make your car smell better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
netray

2008 AURA XE

Thanks for the infomation. I still would like to find the drian since I don't see any water drain under the car when the A/C is on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
CptMatt
CptMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by netray View Post
Thanks for the infomation. I still would like to find the drian since I don't see any water drain under the car when the A/C is on.
I've never seen water drain from my Aura, and I have run the A/C a LOT this summer. I don't have any kind of "wet" smell from the vents, either.

Are you sure its clogged, or maybe it drains some other way that it doesn't leave a big puddle under the car?

'07 Aura XR (Purch 10/31/06)
Platinum Saber Wheels - Machined w/Black Accents - 18x8
Continental ExtremeContactDWS 255/45ZR18
GM Aftermarket Trunk Lip Spoiler

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CptMatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

Mine never leaves puddles either. My old Taurus would leave a nice puddle of water if you parked after running the ac. Wonder if it does something with the drippings? Is it possible it has some sort of container it keeps its drippings in and lets them evaporate out instead of just dumping them out? I have no idea, lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh2000 View Post
Mine never leaves puddles either. My old Taurus would leave a nice puddle of water if you parked after running the ac. Wonder if it does something with the drippings? Is it possible it has some sort of container it keeps its drippings in and lets them evaporate out instead of just dumping them out? I have no idea, lol.
Are we talking about a/c or grilling hamburgers? That's an awful lot of drippings.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
beefsupreme
beefsupreme is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I just peeled back the passenger side front carpet, and soaked up about a gallon of water from the floorboard and the sound insulation under the carpet.
I am going to attempt to clear the valve, and if not, then I will install my own drain. Has anyone else attempted this? If not, then I will attempt to post pics in a few days.

2008 Saturn Aura XE- The Driver
2003 Lincoln Navigator- The Traveller
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 5M- The Toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beefsupreme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beefsupreme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beefsupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
jbjorgvinsson
jbjorgvinsson is on a distinguished road

I am dealing with the same problem on a 2008 Aura Green line. Can anyone help me locate the drain plug? I see a small black plastic knob tucked under edge of the heat shield above the exhaust pipe, could that be it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbjorgvinsson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbjorgvinsson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbjorgvinsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

this thread from the malibu (sister to the aura) forum should help u out:

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...+Drain+Plugged

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Lucd
Lucd is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I had the same problem this the last 2 summers. I had one hell of a time finding and had to enlist the help of someone with really small arms or reach it. It's on the fire wall in the middle of the car almost in front of the exhaust manifold. It's hidden by a heat shield. I was able to see it from the top by looking through my serpentine belt on the fire wall. You are looking for a small round white piece of plastic. I hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lucd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lucd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lucd is offline   Reply With Quote