SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #21
AndreasChen
Advanced Member
AndreasChen is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Re: suggested PM/services for ions by year and engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
adreaschen, one that says "fuel injector cleaner" on it

honestly, reading the labels will help you pick the right one, no need for octane boosters, though. putting any reputable fuel injector cleaner (stay away from gimmicks like snake oil) will help your injectors.

techron is my personal favorite, but you need to have it available. you can find it in "generic" form by looking for the obvious bottle style (can't remember where I've seen this, though).
Thanks. But I remembered Techron Fuel System Cleaner has higher concentration of PEA than Pro-Grad Injector Cleaner. Is Pro-Grad still prefered to Techron?

02 Saturn SC2, noisy, trying to quiet it down...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AndreasChen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AndreasChen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #22
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

never heard of pro-grad

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #23
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

How does one know who serves top tier gas? I also have in my area Hess, BP, Gulf, Sunoco. I will stay away from Mobil gas now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:58 AM   #24
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

by clicking on the spiffy little link I provided...

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #25
d_rock
d_rock is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Just my 2 cents on the fuel injector thing.

I used the Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner (small, thin bottle) and it's always worked great for me.

I will second the others and say Techron is good too! But I tend to get Lucas lately.

From what I understand, the Lucas stuff is good because it's pretty barebones: just the chemicals you need to get the cleaning done, and it isn't thick or oily like some of the other cleaners, which can seap into places you don't want them to.

"Pessimists see the glass as half empty, optimists see the glass as half full. Engineers see that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

2005 Saturn Ion-3 Quad Coupe, Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d_rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d_rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #26
mcmontantez
mcmontantez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
IMO Techron would be a better choice. They sell 2 size bottle depending on your tank size.

Always use a bottle every time you change your oil, and your engine and injectors will love you.
use techron it is the same stuff used at the dealers with a premium price added

MMon4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mcmontantez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mcmontantez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #27
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

bumpity bump

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #28
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

ok, thought of something else to adds, once again, not for argument, but a general guide. if you feel like deviating, it's up to you, but there are reasons I say what I say. use the intervals and fluids your manual says to (or in the case of manual ions and 05+ auto ions, the recommended replacement fluids). a lot of people ask if other fluid specs or other types will work, and the realistic answer is, they may work in the sense that they will fill the space, but they are not designed for your car, so do not use them. use 5W30 or in extreme winters (below 0 a lot) 0W30, and nothing else. use dex cool, there are other cars that have had problems with this antifreeze, but only when user negligence put it over it's limit. it is perfectly safe and any other antifreeze is wrong for this car. do not use dex III, it is not even a valid standard at this time. use dex VI in your automatic, and GM's manual transmission fluid in your manual. I do not recommend universal fluids for 05+ cars or manual transmissions, use the much improved dex VI or GM fluid, it's better for your transmission.

now, this one deserves it's own paragraph because it's important. changing your oil at 3K miles/3 months, and your transmission fluid at less than 100K miles (unless switching to a synthetic) is nothing but a waste of your time and money in these cars, following the oil life monitor in your car should be considered a minimum oil change interval (note, 1 year is then the maximum time to pass between changes), but if you use it, follow it. if you wish to extend your interval, please use oil analysis to back up your suspected good interval.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #29
snakes
snakes has a spectacular aura aboutsnakes has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Great Post/Info!! I must have missed this post some how and it would have saved me a lot of questions/posts that I entered about required maintenance already

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snakes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #30
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

bumping it to the top

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #31
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

time for a bump and more info.

flushing has come up, which I feel needs elaboration is needed.

flushes serve three potential purposes, stemming from one root cause: flushing out crap (that's a technical term) after a problem has been fixed (replacing clutch packs in an automatic transmission), or if a blockage (once again, crap) is suspected (radiator or heater core blockage, for example), or to replace badly worn out or contaminated (with crap) fluid (think brake or hydraulic power steering systems).

in other words, if there is no crap, why flush it? and I certainly don't recommend "power flushing" that introduces higher than normal system pressure unless (and only when) other methods of clearing a blockage have failed. when you change your coolant, flush with water by simply filling the system with water, then draining it. for engine oil and manual transmission fluid changes, just drain and fill. for automatic transmissions, if your fluid is not gritty or really dark, just drain and fill. for brakes (every 5 years, at most), just run new fluid under system pressure until clean fluid comes out.

the main point is, keep your fluid changes as simple as possible, and the reduced stress on the system will pay off.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 AM   #32
munky000527
munky000527 is on a distinguished road

On the subject of fuel injectors, is there a recommended interval at which they should be replaced? I kind of feel uncomfortable about the effectiveness of injector cleaners.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to munky000527's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help munky000527 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 AM   #33
munky000527

Sorry for the double post, can't find the edit button. Just found this video, is this a good idea for cleaning fuel injectors?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJlTfHyrUk

Also, are Wix fuel filters okay for a 2004 Saturn Ion?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help munky000527 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #34
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

no, you should not need to ever replace your injectors if you use top tier gas (as I do) and/or use injector cleaner at regular intervals (I do both).

the video hasn't even fully loaded yet (just to be clear how obvious it is that this method is WRONG), and I am going to say no, it's not right. I'll finish my comment once it does.

okay, not only is it wrong (wrong chemical, wrong pressure to check it, ect...), but his injector, based on that method, is bad, see the streaking of the fluid? that means a bad/partially plugged injector.

you have to use the right fuel (or approved equivalent testing fluid), under the right pressure to check the injector spray pattern (before you even worry about cleaning it). then you clean it (only if partially plugged, usually) by basically running the injector (this is the only part he did right) with basically concentrated injector cleaner ( he used carb cleaner, which is wrong). if they are still plugged, there are other things they can do I will not discuss here that will most likely unplug them (and no, it does not involve small rigid wires, that will destroy an injector). a good shop will have a bench set up just for this, and can do this right for 4 injectors in a very short time if they are already out of the car.

any fuel filter should work in an ion. mine only has 34000 miles on it, so I cannot speak as to the quality of one fuel filter vs another.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #35
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

a progress note on my own car PM, I ported and polished my throttlebody almost 2 years ago, and checked it for cleanliness yesterday. after almost two years, it's spotless!! when I first checked it after about a year and a half of owning it, it was filthy!! porting and polishing allows the oil vapor from the PCV to pass through the throttlebody without collecting in the dimples.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #36
munky000527

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
a progress note on my own car PM, I ported and polished my throttlebody almost 2 years ago, and checked it for cleanliness yesterday. after almost two years, it's spotless!! when I first checked it after about a year and a half of owning it, it was filthy!! porting and polishing allows the oil vapor from the PCV to pass through the throttlebody without collecting in the dimples.
Is this dangerous to do as a DIY project? From all the problems people seem to have with throttle bodies on this forum (just from trying to clean it), it seems like polishing it would be kinda scary. :/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #37
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Honestly, it's not for the faint of heart. As far as people damaging their throttle bodies by cleaning them, I really don't understand how everyone seems to be damaging them. This is my third ecotec, second tbw ecotec, second ion. All ecotecs love to soil their throttle bodies (from my experience), quite often in under a years time. I've cleaned all three throttle bodies, and polished both of the ones for this ion (yes, I have a spare for a future project), and all have worked flawlessly despite all the handling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #38
Tubagod767
Tubagod767 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

2006 ion2, could you elaborate on the polishing process? I'm tired of cleaning my throttle body all the time and can attest to the quickly soiled throttle body. Is there a special type of polish to use or even to avoid? Would you recommend polishing the bore where the IAC valve sits as well (I don't believe your vehicle has this part)? I guess in that aspect would you even recommend polishing the TB on a 2004 ion auto?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tubagod767's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tubagod767 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #39
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you bring up a good point. I still definitely recommend porting and polishing (note, PORTING.). in this case, no polish is REALLY needed, and in the case of 03-04 throttle bodies, I recommend staying away from ANY kind of polish or power sanding/grinding near the IAT and TPS areas.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...97#post1691197

this is my thread on porting/polishing TBs. if you would please kindly post pictures of the areas concerned, in the appropriate thread, we can certainly continue this discussion there

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #40
munky000527

I'm about to buy some rotors and brake pads for my 04, is there anything else I should get for the brake system? Any manufacturers/features to avoid or look for?

(Sorry for all the random questions, I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I go back to school.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread