SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
scruffycat1970
scruffycat1970 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Removing rear brake drums

how does one remove the rear drums on a 2005 Vue, Ive worked on car since my early years and have never had this problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scruffycat1970's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scruffycat1970 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scruffycat1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Ion Greatest
Ion Greatest is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Removing rear brake drums

they should slide right off the lugs and hubs. Chances are they are rusted to the hub flange. Use either a torch to heat them up or a hammer to loosen them. Hit the drums close to the center and work your way around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ion Greatest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ion Greatest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ion Greatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Heh-heh, the FSM doesn't mention adjusting the star wheel through the access hole - because they don't exist? Not having any possibility of adjusting the star wheel to back the shoes away from the drum just makes things interesting. If the drums haven't been serviced before to remove the inside lip that's left after the drums are worn down, you pretty much know what to do; get out the heavy hammer and 2x4 to bang the drum off using the butt end of the 2x4 against the rim, hammering it off. Rust and corrosion probably conspired to seize the drum against the center of the axle hub so the combination of rust seized drum on the hub and the inside lip hooking against the shoes are preventing the drum from coming off peacefully. Hammer away. I think its safe to use GORILLA tactics here.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 05 Vue drums.gif (21.1 KB, 99 views)

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
newbievueowner
Advanced Member
newbievueowner is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

There is an access slot/hole in the backing plate but it's not super easy to adjust. You have to jam 1 screw driver to hold the tab back and the other one to turn the cam to slaken the shoe. I had to do this to my brakes because I had the ridge on the drum when I first bought it and it would not come off!

On a side note, these rear brakes are a dumb design. Wheel cylinder on the top and the adjuster on the top as well. Only good for causing the shoes to wear unevenly. The tops are think and the bottom is almost worn through. Stupid.

What ever happened to the good 'ol days where they used to put the adjuster on the bottom so the brakes would wear even.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
Ion Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbievueowner View Post
On a side note, these rear brakes are a dumb design. Wheel cylinder on the top and the adjuster on the top as well. Only good for causing the shoes to wear unevenly. The tops are think and the bottom is almost worn through. Stupid.

What ever happened to the good 'ol days where they used to put the adjuster on the bottom so the brakes would wear even.....
I have yet to work on a set of drum brakes that didn't wear at the top more than the bottom, even ones where the adjusters were at the bottom. The very nature of having the cylinder at the top will make them wear at the top more than the bottom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ion Greatest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
newbievueowner
Advanced Member
newbievueowner is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion Greatest View Post
I have yet to work on a set of drum brakes that didn't wear at the top more than the bottom, even ones where the adjusters were at the bottom. The very nature of having the cylinder at the top will make them wear at the top more than the bottom
Maybe a little but not to this extent. I was shocked when I removed my drums after taking my snow tires off. And to adjust the old ones properly you just had to back up a bunch of times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
stbvue
stbvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Isnt there a clip on one of the studs?, i think mine has one on it.

I dont mind things that go bump in the night as long as they arent in my VUE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stbvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stbvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Ion Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbvue View Post
Isnt there a clip on one of the studs?, i think mine has one on it.
if they've never been removed, then yes they usually come with a weird washer or two of them on each side to hold the drums on. The aren't hard to remove though.

Once you finally get the drums off, apply a coat of anti-seize to the face hub flanges so the drums don't get stuck on there again. You should be able to tell if the drums are stuck on the shoes or no the hubs. If its stuck on the shoes you'll be able to pull the drum away from the hubs and you'll feel the shoe hold down springs as you're pulling on the drum. If its stuck to the hub, its not going to budge much at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!