SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
d_rock
d_rock is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Emergency: can't start, key stuck in ignition

I just went out to move my car, I park in front of the dumpster and I have to move before tomorrow morning or I get fined.

I used the remote unlock and noticed nothing happened. It made a weak click sound. So I figured the battery must be dead...though I don't know why/how.

By the way, I'm in Massachusetts and its pretty cold out.

So I try to start the key... some weak noises and the yellow light on the console flashes.

I get my neighbor out to give me a jump start. We let the car sit for awhile and I try to start it. Nothing happens, no sounds, no lights. And my key will NOT come out of the ignition. It is stuck on "Acc" and won't come out. AND I can't put the car in neutral and push it out of the way, the shifter won't move either.

I need some help fast... is there a button override or something I can do? What are my options?

"Pessimists see the glass as half empty, optimists see the glass as half full. Engineers see that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

2005 Saturn Ion-3 Quad Coupe, Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d_rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d_rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
d_rock

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Emergency: can't start, key stuck in ignition

I read in another thread there is a lever for releasing the key if it is stuck, I can't find this lever.

"Pessimists see the glass as half empty, optimists see the glass as half full. Engineers see that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help d_rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Lower/bottom steerng column cover. There will be a small removable cover. Once this is out up in the hole is where you get to the lever to release things.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
d_rock

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

oh my freaking god.... I just went out to see if I could get the key out.. and all my doors are locked. I specifically left them unlocked so I could get back in.

It looks like the wonderful security system decided to come to life and lock my doors?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
The Kaiser
The Kaiser is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
1999 SW2

Hope you have AAA or a backup key....

Hey, once you have broken into your car, check gear shifter and make sure it's fully engaged in Park if your car is Automatic. Your key should come out then. If you still can't get your car started, there is an emergency release button for the gear shifter....

Look for a piece of plastic that looks like a round circle just above the park indicator. Pop off the plastic cap and insert a small thin flat blade screwdriver into the slot, this should allow you to move the gear shifter into neutral and enable you to move your car.

Hope this helps.

One very sad 2003 ION-2 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Kaiser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Kaiser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you might not have waited long enough when you jumped it, so passlock locked your ignition. not sure how it locked your doors on you, unless you bumped the lock button on a door or remote. if you have onstar, now is the time to use it. not to pick, but don't park illegally, and you won't have this problem be so urgent to fix. if you don't have a backup key, you can go to a GM or saturn dealership with your vin and have them cut a key for you. this will be your cheapest option.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
Mistral
Mistral is on a distinguished road

Hey, d_rock. Got the exact same problem today. Remote didn't work. Key went in -> car doesn't start -> key can't come out (doesn't go back past ACC).

How did you solve it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mistral's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mistral reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
d_rock

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
Hey, d_rock. Got the exact same problem today. Remote didn't work. Key went in -> car doesn't start -> key can't come out (doesn't go back past ACC).

How did you solve it?
Hey man, I wish I had a great solution for you, I never figured out exactly what to do, but I can tell you what ended up working for me.

I let the car sit for another few hours, my first attempt at jump starting didn't work.

After a few hours I tried again, with a different donor car (campus police dropped by to help, they were great) and got it to start, key turned and all.

EDIT: I did use the manual key release button first, though, so do that as soon as you can, check the other posts for directions, it's under a round removable cover on the steering wheel column

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Mistral
Mistral is on a distinguished road

Thanks man.

Removed the key already, as per the owner's manual. Will get some cables tonight and try to jump the ION off my 93 SL2... yeah...

Was it just that, a dead battery? Or did you end up doing other repairs after?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mistral's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mistral reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
d_rock

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
Thanks man.

Removed the key already, as per the owner's manual. Will get some cables tonight and try to jump the ION off my 93 SL2... yeah...

Was it just that, a dead battery? Or did you end up doing other repairs after?
As far as I can tell, it was just a dead battery... maybe symptoms of the lock cylinder going as well. I didn't do any repairs after that.

Also, this was during winter and it was very cold outside, which supposedly can be a problem for the Ion. Luckily it only happened that one time and it's been fine since.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Not an Emergency... but I think this is probably the closest thread to what I just experienced last hour. Key wasn't "stuck" in ACC. Key was removed and vehicle was left unattended for 2 days.

I lent my ION to my Dad Friday (I borrowed his truck). Didn't try and move/use the ION since Dad returned it on Friday. Battery was completely dead when I attempted to enter/start the vehicle. It would seem he was able to remove the key while still in ACC mode (Key position "jumped" out at me when I attempted to turn/start. Shifter was in Park.) As the vehicle had a completely drained battery I couldn't start or "return" to OFF position. No key was in ignition when I installed Battery Charger... but IP and warning bell were alerting me that it was still in ACC mode (No Key).

My attempt to insert key and cycle the ignition (without starting) allowed me to return to OFF. I'm kind of concerned if this is going to be a future problem or is just a "fluke". My Dad claims he didn't notice any problems when he parked and pulled the key on Friday.

As an unrelated aside I've noticed my Trunk's "Manual" key entry is messed up. Unable to unlock/open the trunk via key (won't turn). Going to have to research if anyone has performed a DIY remove/replace inspection and cleaning of the trunk's tumblers. A rare need I know but was useful back when I had the Valet Lockout problem and when wanting to install a battery charger/jumper cables directly to the battery compartment. One would think something that is virtually never used wouldn't cause issues. (Tried both my "used" and "new" keys neither work)

Last edited by lgodave; 06-27-2010 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: grammer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote