SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Alternative fluids than OEM

So I figured since I was going to be starting to overhaul the RL (nearing 100K), it might not be a bad idea to start up a list of different fluids that these things use. If you know of any more, please post them up.

Honda Transmission Fluid: (all these claim to be Z1 rated)
OEM: Honda Z1 & the GM equivalent
Mobil 1: Multi-Vehicle ATF, Synthetic ATF
Castrol: High Mileage ATF, Import Multi-Vehicle
Quaker State: Nothing
Pennzoil: Nothing
Valvoline: MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF
Royal Purple: Max ATF
Amsoil: Synthetic Universal ATF

RDM:
I've got nothing. People have talked about Royal Purple Sychromax, but it's listed as a manual transmission fluid, not a gear lubricant. Other people have made mention of a 75W-something or other weight fluid, but I need more clarifications on this. Most manufacturers seem to have a 75W gear oil of some sort though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Alternative fluids than OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post

RDM:
I've got nothing. People have talked about Royal Purple Sychromax, but it's listed as a manual transmission fluid, not a gear lubricant. Other people have made mention of a 75W-something or other weight fluid, but I need more clarifications on this. Most manufacturers seem to have a 75W gear oil of some sort though.
Versatrak fluid is recommended and should be available at GM dealers. I noted others were using RP Synchromax but wanted verification.

I emailed AMSOIL and Royal Purple ... to their credit AMSOIL said they had nothing similar to Versatrak. Royal Purple said Synchromax was a valid replacement. I've used it for 18 months - in snow and ice - without a whimper from RDM.

If you're going for complete fluid replacement ... include brake fluid, coolant and transfer case (aka - power take-off unit). The PTU juice is GM 12378261... I searched the web and found several replacements (synthetic gear lube).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
RDM:
A manual transmission is a gear box, the RP synchromax part #01512 will work in the rdm/gear box with clutch pac but GM's versatrac fluid is GM's only recommendation for the RDM, I wiil use the RP, Its all trial and error(save a few bucks on oil or spend a couple $K on RDM). One person used 75/90 Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube but he is now changing his RDM/clutch pac not known if its from the lube or dolly towing.
Check the color of your brake fluid(should be translucent, if not its contaminated)syringe it out of the reservoir (using a syringe will keep air from getting in the lines)then bleed some through all the lines also , this will help keep your caliper pistons and rear wheel cylinders from seizing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someclown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
stbvue
stbvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Of coarse the stuff is recommended from GM, thats to get u to buy it. Most of the aftermarket synchromax-synchromesh oils say its for maunual trans. Meaning moving parts!. I couldnt get the RP in my area so i used Pennzoil synchromesh with no problems. These manufactures want u to believe u cant use anything else.

I dont mind things that go bump in the night as long as they arent in my VUE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stbvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stbvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
stbvue

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someclown View Post
A manual transmission is a gear box, the RP synchromax part #01512 will work in the rdm/gear box with clutch pac but GM's versatrac fluid is GM's only recommendation for the RDM, I wiil use the RP, Its all trial and error(save a few bucks on oil or spend a couple $K on RDM). One person used 75/90 Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube but he is now changing his RDM/clutch pac not known if its from the lube or dolly towing.
Check the color of your brake fluid(should be translucent, if not its contaminated)syringe it out of the reservoir (using a syringe will keep air from getting in the lines)then bleed some through all the lines also , this will help keep your caliper pistons and rear wheel cylinders from seizing.
Of coarse dolly towing will mess up the RDM...Tells ya right in the manual.. I seen that post to!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Someclown

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbvue View Post
Of coarse the stuff is recommended from GM, thats to get u to buy it. Most of the aftermarket synchromax-synchromesh oils say its for maunual trans. Meaning moving parts!. I couldnt get the RP in my area so i used Pennzoil synchromesh with no problems. These manufactures want u to believe u cant use anything else.
Yes I know, All the versatrac is is a synthetic hypoid with additives.
Just like they don't want you working on your vehicle, because selling parts is there bread and butter!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
stbvue

2005 VUE 3.5L

Amen to that!. It was easier than i thought to change the fluids in my vue. The guy at advance was real helpful, he showed me the suction sucker tool i used to fill the RDM and PTU with. Great tool for the job. You might already have one, ya just suck the amount you need right out of the bottle then fill. Wish i could post pics on here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Amen to that!. It was easier than i thought to change the fluids in my vue. The guy at advance was real helpful, he showed me the suction sucker tool i used to fill the RDM and PTU with. Great tool for the job. You might already have one, ya just suck the amount you need right out of the bottle then fill. Wish i could post pics on here.
Get a photobucket and upload them there, then just post the pics here.

I saw a post from Ritz back in the day about using a big syringe for the drain and fills.

That's a good call grumpy, I probably should do the other fluids as well. Coolant will work itself out with the water pump at 100k, and brake fluid I guess I could do wit the pads and rotors.

I'll probably go with RP synchromax, can this same fluid be used for the PTU? I might consider trying the Mobil 1 stuff as well, I don't expect to be towing my vue, well, ever, so it should be OK.

As an aside, if the clutch packs were toasted, how would the fluid have any effects? Isn't the fluid behind the clutch packs inside the differential itself?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:

I'll probably go with RP synchromax, can this same fluid be used for the PTU? I might consider trying the Mobil 1 stuff as well, I don't expect to be towing my vue, well, ever, so it should be OK.

As an aside, if the clutch packs were toasted, how would the fluid have any effects? Isn't the fluid behind the clutch packs inside the differential itself?
I'm using the Royal Purple Synchromax in our Vue's with no issues whatsoever. I also replaced the PTU fluid with synthetic 75w-90 gear oil from wal-mart (I don't remember the brand) and it seems to be working just fine as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

'I'll probably go with RP synchromax, can this same fluid be used for the PTU?'

Only on the '02-'03. The '04 and up specify Hypoid Gear Lube for the PTU.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
stbvue

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
'I'll probably go with RP synchromax, can this same fluid be used for the PTU?'

Only on the '02-'03. The '04 and up specify Hypoid Gear Lube for the PTU.
I used the Mobil 75W90 for the PTU.....I would think they require a different viscosity in the two.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
stbvue

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Get a photobucket and upload them there, then just post the pics here.

I saw a post from Ritz back in the day about using a big syringe for the drain and fills.

That's a good call grumpy, I probably should do the other fluids as well. Coolant will work itself out with the water pump at 100k, and brake fluid I guess I could do wit the pads and rotors.

A syringe works but, you may have to suck the fluid out of bottle a few times....The Sucker tool lets you do up to a full quart. Not to mention the tube fits snug in the Vue/GM fill holes with out falling out. Worked nice and Quick for me anyhow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #13
stbvue

2005 VUE 3.5L

Suction Gun at Advance Auto.....$10.00 ...Make sure to open and check before purchasing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9240026_ptl_w54220_pri_larg.jpg (9.5 KB, 29 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #14
stbvue

2005 VUE 3.5L

Used this in my RDM...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7070062_pzl_3501_pri_larg pennzoil.jpg (16.3 KB, 36 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
Someclown

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
A syringe works, Not to mention the tube fits snug in the Vue/GM fill holes with out falling out. Worked nice and Quick for me anyhow.
A turkey baster works just as well and holds almost half a litre

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #16
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
I'm using the Royal Purple Synchromax in our Vue's with no issues whatsoever. I also replaced the PTU fluid with synthetic 75w-90 gear oil from wal-mart (I don't remember the brand) and it seems to be working just fine as well.
I was in walmart today and saw this 75w-90 supertech. It was cheap, I figured what the heck. Supertechs tend to be "decent" in UOAs, and I figure that even the worst new juice is probably better than my old, old juice.

So it seems like people are using it for the PTU or the RDM, but not both. Which should i use it for? The RDM should take 750mL, how about the PTU?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Old 03-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I was in walmart today and saw this 75w-90 supertech.

So it seems like people are using it for the PTU or the RDM, but not both. Which should i use it for? The RDM should take 750mL, how about the PTU?
I used 75W-90 in my PTU ... IIRC the PTU needs slightly less than one quart.

I don't know about putting lube in the RDM ... I know nada about most fluids but wouldn't feel comfortable replacing a lightweight trans fluid with 75W gear oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I was in walmart today and saw this 75w-90 supertech.

I used 75W-90 in my PTU ... IIRC the PTU needs slightly less than one quart.

I don't know about putting lube in the RDM ... I know nada about most fluids but wouldn't feel comfortable replacing a lightweight trans fluid with 75W gear oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #19
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Sorry about the dupe post ... I think the site went haywire for a few minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #20
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Used this in my RDM...
How's it been holding up? They've got this stuff (pretty cheap) at my local auto parts store. Not sure if I want to order the royal purple or use something local. I don't see a specific manual transmission fluid from Mobil1.

So the PTU requires a hypoid gear lube or 75W-90. Can this same fluid be used in the RDM?

This is what i've got right now:

ATF: Honda Z1
PTU: Supertech 75W-90 Synthetic Blend gear lube (it's claimed to be a hypoid)

So for the RDM I can either use a manual transmission fluid(ie RP Synchromax or Pennzoil Synchromesh) or a 75W90 gear lube?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation