SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
EdwardR
EdwardR is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Transmission Service and Oil Change

Hi, it's been a while since I last posted but I still have my 2007 Saturn Aura XE. However, I have a couple of questions regarding maintenance on the 2007 Saturn Aura XE after I have read the maintenance schedule.

1. Oil change - I faithfully do this every 3,000 miles. However, my dealer insists that I have some kind of an oil induction service done; is this critical or is it an add-on the dealer is trying to sell me?

2. Transmission service - According to the maintenance schedule, do this every 100,000 miles. Again, my dealer wants me to have this done at 50,000 miles and I use my car just for going to and from work and local area trips on the weekends (no long distance travel, trying to keep the miles down so that I can sell it). As I read in other posts that transmission service on a Saturn Aura XE should be done at 100,000 miles, can it safely wait until 100,000 miles (I am way too far from that yet!) and have the transmission service done then? Is my dealer trying to get me to do the transmission service at 50,000 miles just for the profit?

After all, I am not trying to skimp on required maintenance. To me, I think my Saturn retailer is trying to get me to have extra service done which is above my maintenance schedule. I had all the other maintenance items done months ago.

Can anyone shed some light on maintenance of my 2007 Saturn Aura XE as far as oil induction and transmission service is concerned? Thanks for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EdwardR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EdwardR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EdwardR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: Transmission Service and Oil Change

I also have a 2007 XE. According to the Service Manual, the Transmission fluid need to be R&R at 50,000 miles. It calls for the Transmission flush at 100,000 miles only on the 3.6 under normal service.

I haven't heard anything about the oil induction thing.... I wouldn't purchase any service not outlined under the maintenance schedule, unless I was voluntarily doing it for my health or something like that. My dealer was "recommending" a Power Steering system flush, fuel system cleaning, and throttle body cleaning at 50,000 miles..... I turned down all of them.

Also, 3,000 miles is likely unnecessary for an oil change. I generally follow the Oil Life Monitor and change it at 10-15% Oil life. But that's just me.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
EdwardR
EdwardR is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

So, at 50,000 miles I should get an "R&R" transmission service. Would it be other than a transmission fluid flush?

Thanks for the advice on the oil induction - if it's not in the maintenance schedule, I won't have it done. I think a lube, oil and filter is good enough at 3,000 miles, maybe a few extra miles (but I keep an eye on the oil life percentage).

On the other hand, I am not sure if you can answer this but how much would a typical R&R transmission service would be - my retailer's prices are steep (about $300). Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EdwardR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EdwardR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EdwardR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I change my oil/filter every 3000-5000 miles and transmission fluid/filter every 15,000-20,000 miles on all my vehicles. I also change my plugs and wires every 30,000 miles and O2 sensors and coolant temperature sensors every 30,000 as well. I do this on all my vehicles.

I also do all work myself.

Flushes are a total waste of money if you regularly keep fresh clean fluids in your car.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
unlukky
unlukky is on a distinguished road

I am in agreement here.
Oil Induction- No idea.
Oil Change- 3,000 miles.
Tranny 'Service'- 30,000 (Filter, fluid, and gasket; doesn't need to be full flush).

John
2007 Saturn Aura XE
White/ Biege

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unlukky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unlukky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unlukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlukky View Post
I am in agreement here.
Oil Induction- No idea.
Oil Change- 3,000 miles.
Tranny 'Service'- 30,000 (Filter, fluid, and gasket; doesn't need to be full flush).
i agree 100%.
when u have the transmission serviced, they do not normally suck the fluid from the torque converter.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardR View Post
So, at 50,000 miles I should get an "R&R" transmission service. Would it be other than a transmission fluid flush?

Thanks for the advice on the oil induction - if it's not in the maintenance schedule, I won't have it done. I think a lube, oil and filter is good enough at 3,000 miles, maybe a few extra miles (but I keep an eye on the oil life percentage).

On the other hand, I am not sure if you can answer this but how much would a typical R&R transmission service would be - my retailer's prices are steep (about $300). Any ideas?
I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. By "R&R," I simply meant remove & replace, or flush. I think I was quoted ~$240.00 at my dealer. I need to get it done soon. I'm at 53,000 miles, but I drive mostly highway, I'll get it done by 55-60k miles.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
unlukky
unlukky is on a distinguished road

Hey, do we have another aircraft mechanic in here? R&R/ R2?
I'm sure you can do ALOT better than $240 for tranny fluid and filter FYI. Local shop could do no problem. Hell, I get my Benz done for $80.

John
2007 Saturn Aura XE
White/ Biege

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unlukky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unlukky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unlukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:10 AM   #9
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlukky View Post
I am in agreement here.
Oil Induction- No idea.
Oil Change- 3,000 miles.
Unless you are driving in a really dirty area and spending a lot of time i lower gears, climbing hills or towing a trailer all the time, changing the oil at 3000 miles is a waste of natural resources and money. Go by the OCM on your DIC and change when it is 10% or less. Use a synthetic oil and you can safely go 7500 or more miles between changes.
If your doing a lot of freeway driving , not rush hour S&G, and not towing a trailer, the trans can safely go 50K miles between fluid changes. Paying over $100 for this service is wrong, find a service location that will do it for less.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
carlover
carlover is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

But what the hell is oil induction service?

Drive like you mean it, keep the rubber side down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #11
lococrzy
lococrzy is on a distinguished road

I had my tranny on my 2008 XE 4cyl serviced by my dealer at 50K too like the manual suggests. i noticed a huge difference after it was done. i honestly dont remember how much they charged my service receipts and get back to ya'll on that i do remember the bill being high cause i got oil change and a shock replaced as well as the int steering shaft and a another part i forgot the name the steering shaft and the part i dont remember were done under guarantee at 50K my dealer is tight like that lol.

as far as my oil changes i do them every time the DIC gets to around 30% which seems to be about 7500 miles.
and as far as changing your plugs every 30K thats fine for older cars but these cars have advanced plug tech. that allows them to to 100K or maybe 110K i dont remember exactly. so changing your plugs on this car every 30k is a waste of cash in my book.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lococrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lococrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

id go by the oil life monitor as long as you dont have the 3.6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
jimmyfloyd
jimmyfloyd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

why wouldn't you go by the oil life monitor with the 3.6??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimmyfloyd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimmyfloyd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i think until they figure out why so many are sludging so bad ill play it safe. outlooks go 40 to 50k before a large percentage have to come out of the car to replace timing chains or cams worn out or both because of severe sludge. so far it seems to be mainly outlooks but i own one of each and i think ill pay it safe although im not sure quicker oil changes will solve the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
jimmyfloyd
jimmyfloyd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

so basically do the oil changes at 3000 miles then, and not the oil life monitor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimmyfloyd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimmyfloyd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #16
08AuraXR
08AuraXR is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
2002 SL2

Link to sludging info?

This is why I run Royal Purple in the motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08AuraXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08AuraXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08AuraXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

dont have a link .walk in any dealer service dept.. we had 10 at one of our dealerships in february. another of our dealers had 4 in one day. i think its just starting to come out. as for oil changes service dept says change at 3k and thats the probleam but im not sure i agree with that i think its poor engine design. similar to vw 1.8t and chrysler 3.7 a few years back. it makes me want to get rid of my outlook even though its been great so far. when you see all of these outlooks everyday with engines out it kind of scares you if you own one. why only outlook and not vue or aura??? no one seems to know but its also acadia and enclave. 07 and 08s so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #18
Ray M
Ray M is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
dont have a link .walk in any dealer service dept.. we had 10 at one of our dealerships in february. another of our dealers had 4 in one day. i think its just starting to come out. as for oil changes service dept says change at 3k and thats the probleam but im not sure i agree with that i think its poor engine design. similar to vw 1.8t and chrysler 3.7 a few years back. it makes me want to get rid of my outlook even though its been great so far. when you see all of these outlooks everyday with engines out it kind of scares you if you own one. why only outlook and not vue or aura??? no one seems to know but its also acadia and enclave. 07 and 08s so far.
I have been changing my oil every 5000 miles for the last 30 years with no ill effects, cars usualy last 5 years/200K before I trade, had not had one with oil related problems. Now I use the OLM and go 7500-8000 miles between changes. using any oil that meets the GM specification.

2008 Saturn Aura XE
Techno Gray
3.5 V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ray M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ray M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ray M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #19
scotydoc
scotydoc is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2009 Astra XE

I have never changed my oil at 3000 miles in a car purchased after 1990. Its just not necessary due to improvements in engine design. You may not agree but I just sold a 1995 GMC Jimmy V6 auto 2wd 140,000 miles many miles pulling a trailer. Not a problem same with my 1992 Saturn Coupe with a HP engine at 60,000 Miles no problems. You may be falling for the oil advertising and marketing hype. I have a friend who is an Oil Engineer for Ford Motor lab in Detroit. He tests the effects of different oil additives in engines of all types, like he says a lot of unfounded claims in the auto oil market..which helps empty your wallet of dollars..can u say mouse milk !!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotydoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotydoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #20
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08AuraXR View Post
Link to sludging info?

This is why I run Royal Purple in the motor.
Never any sludge with a synthetic like Mobil-1. Stick to 100% synthetics and go 8000+ miles each oil change and it'll keep going for 100's of thousands of miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote