SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
ctkp
ctkp is on a distinguished road

Default Outlook Leak Fix?

Ever since we purchased our Outlook in 2007 we have been bringing it back to the dealer on a frequent basis due to leaks caused by clogged roof drains (we have the sun & moon roofs on our XR). After our last visit this past fall I tried a temporary fix which seems to be holding (it's been at 3+ months since our last leak so I'm hopeful). I taped over the gap that goes all around the moon glass (totally closing it over). It seems to have done the trick of preventing the debris from our white pine from getting into the drain pipes (so far).

I haven't notice any detrimental effects from water not being able to drain off from the moon roof. I do, however, see moisture that remains in the gap between the glass and the roof. I would think that over time this would be a rust hazard.

My thinking is that if I don't develop any leaks within the next 2 months that sealing off this gap is a good thing. If this is the case I am considering making this permanent with a silicon sealant.

Anybody have any experience or thoughts on this approach?

Thank you for your feedback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ctkp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ctkp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ctkp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default Re: Outlook Leak Fix?

If there is still moister in the gap as you say and you put silicon in you could develop even more rust. This happened to me on a previous car.

I have never had a problem with the clogs coming from the moon roof. I had 3 clogs with my 07 Outlook and they came from me leaving the sunroof open when parked.

On my Acadia I have not left the sunroof opened when parked and have not had any clogs in the year that I have had it (more rain and snow in the last year than the almost 2 years I had the Outlook.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
MMarlin
MMarlin is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

I have an appointment with the closest Saturn dealer remaining, Kings Auto Mall in Cincinnati Thursday morning. The sun roof on our 07 Outlook leaked this past weekend, the first time ever. It does sit outside yet we don't really use the roof that often, not since last summer, and I never leave it open when I am not in the vehicle. So disappointed with the situation yet I guess we are lucky as it is still under warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MMarlin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MMarlin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctkp View Post
If this is the case I am considering making this permanent with a silicon sealant.

Anybody have any experience or thoughts on this approach?

Thank you for your feedback.
Maybe take a look at some seam sealers instead of silicone, I know the RTV silicone will eat through the paint over time.Ive seen were people have used RTV to reinstall body side mouldings and nameplates and a year later the mouldings fall off with the paint stuck to them and its rusted were the silicone was on the painted surface.Not to sure about other types of silicone sealers though.
Hope this helps in your decision

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someclown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

Well they could not reproduce the leak and they cleaned the headliner. Since there is a wiper motor replacement on order I will have to go back. I forgot to mention that our drive way tilts and the Outlook sits with the front lower than the back.

When I go back to have the replacement part replaced I will have to remember to mention this and see if they can reproduce the leak at that time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MMarlin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

All the rain we had has re-produced the same leak. I am heading BACK down to Saturn of Kings AutoMall tomorrow for them to HOPEFULLY figure out where in the heck this water is coming from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
khansen30

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarlin View Post
All the rain we had has re-produced the same leak. I am heading BACK down to Saturn of Kings AutoMall tomorrow for them to HOPEFULLY figure out where in the heck this water is coming from.
Have them check the seams and bolts on the roof racks. Some had leaks from there as well, my 07 did.

Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansen30 View Post
Have them check the seams and bolts on the roof racks. Some had leaks from there as well, my 07 did.

I did and I am back home AND NO LUCK!!!!!!!!

I am believing that THEY do not want to fool with my Saturn.

Want to guess why I have that thought?

The service tech stated that I should "take my Outlook to a GM dealer who has been certified to work on Saturn's because even if they would have found the leak they, Saturn of Kings Auto Mall, could not get approval to replace roof liner" which is now stained for the SECOND TIME!

SSSSOOOO now I will have to contact a GM dealer CERTIFIED to work on my Outlook. That means it will be "Jake Sweeney Tri-County".

ANOTHER road trip to Cincinnati is in my immediate future.

Do you think I need to contact GM first?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
khansen30

2008 AURA XR

So let me see if I got this right;

Your Saturn dealer is no longer a certified GM repair center? If so, get out of there.

Yes I would call GM and let them know. Most Chevy dealers and GMC dealer can do the work as the set up is the same on all the Lambda's. They will have to order parts which might take a while (like the headliner) but everything else not seen should be the same.

When a place refers me to a competitor I don't hesitate to get out, that means they don't care and will not do good work.

Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

The dealer is still classified as a "Saturn" dealership with the "Saturn" sign and all that crap.

So now I will have to contact the GM dealership who is classified as a Saturn repair service center in hopes that they finish what a "Saturn dealership" could not do.

Let me think..........perhaps if I change my tune and say how much I just LOVE GM and that we are considering purchasing a new Camaro do you think................

Fix my Outlook and a new Camaro will be in our garage AFTER the repair is completed.............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
PSmith
PSmith is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Wow...absolutely ridiculous for you to be going through this. Sounds like the GM Regional Rep needs to be involved in this issue.

For what it's worth, I just bought the Alldata subscription for my wife's 07 Outlook (we bought the car used). So far I've had the following issues:

sway bar end link noise--FIXED in my driveway--bad bushing. Replaced driver side endlink
Steering wheel noise--sounds like you're scratching your fingernails on a screen when you turn the steering wheel and the engine is warm..very odd. I'm trying to track down the issue via Google. This apparently happens on some of the Outlooks and noone can come up with a long term solution. If I figure it out I'll post on this site
Water leaking from the front light dome into the console--We purposely avoided buying an Outlook due to hearing about issues with the leaky Sunroof, and yet we still have leaks!! I'm digging into this one over the weekend. I've got a feeling it's coming from the luggage rack rails. I'll update here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PSmith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PSmith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/wa...aturn-outlook/

You are not alone with this problem...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
PSmith

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSmith View Post
We purposely avoided buying an Outlook due to hearing about issues with the leaky Sunroof, and yet we still have leaks!!
Edit: I meant to say "We purposely avoided buying an Outlook with sunroofs"...We don't have the sunroof and are still saddled with leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PSmith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #14
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

Just picked up my Outlook this afternoon. Let me think four weeks four trips to Cincinnati the last two of those trips for them to replace drain hoses.

Yes last week they replaced a hose and said all was fine. Monday night rain rain rain and Tuesday morning "leak" back in the exact same place. So took the Outlook to Cincinnati that day and they found a SECOND drain hose to replace. WTF!

Now here is the fun part. The headliner needs to be replaced and they have one on order and should be in next week.

So......what will this be next week....my fifth trip to Cincinnati in five weeks. I sure wish it would rain this weekend because when they replace the headliner and it rains and it leaks..............the wrath of a really ticked off female is something they do not want to experience.

2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!
2007 Silver Outlook - SIGHHH! Traded 2/11 for a 2011 Enclave
2005 Gray Nissan 350Z - FUN FUN FUN warm weather only with the top down

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
PSmith

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarlin View Post

So......what will this be next week....my fifth trip to Cincinnati in five weeks. I sure wish it would rain this weekend because when they replace the headliner and it rains and it leaks..............the wrath of a really ticked off female is something they do not want to experience.
If the stealership had a lick of sense they would have pulled the headliner and run a sprinkler over the roof to check for leaks (unless GM continues to pay them over and over for the return visits). It could be more than the sunroof tubes-as I am now experiencing as our Outlook doesn't have a sunroof. Incredible.

As a sidenote, I looked at our Outlook roof this afternoon, and lo and behold, under the rubber trim that runs from the luggage rack rails on each side up to the windshield, what did I find? Silicone! Looks like the dealer tried to repair it previously. We bought this used so I guess I'll keep finding these little surprises.

Good luck MMarlin! Hope they finally fixed it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #16
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

Thank you "PSmith"!

I have collected all the information on our Outlook. The DOB was 5/27/2007 and the day we bought it was 12/01/2007. I thought it odd that there was only 8 miles on the odometer that day.

Anyway back to what I was going to mention.

I have been able to identify six times the Outlook had work on the "drain lines". Once in August 2007, before our purchase, there is a notation that the extension to the drain lines work was performed. Then in 2008 we received notice to take the Outlook in for a re-call on the drain lines to have drain line extensions added.

So now along comes my trips back and forth over the past four weeks. Which if my addition is correct makes it a total of "six" times for work on the drain lines????

"BobbyP" thanks for the link pertaining to the lemon law my husband will be considering this especially if the "leak" reappears.

2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!
2007 Silver Outlook - SIGHHH! Traded 2/11 for a 2011 Enclave
2005 Gray Nissan 350Z - FUN FUN FUN warm weather only with the top down

REWARD EXCELLENCE!