SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
heresy_fnord
heresy_fnord is on a distinguished road

Question Performance Air Intake

So I went to my local dealer the other day and talked to their parts guys and they actually talked me out of getting the GM performance intake for the Sky Redline. They said the part makes the car backfire badly and it also rattles while the car is on.

Here is a link to the part I am talking about.
Sky-Solstice Intake

That being said, does anyone have any recommendations for an aftermarket intake? I've been told many times to use an oil-free intake because any intake that has oil on the filter screws up the sensors.

I'd like to say that if it offered some sort of HP increase that would be cool. I know very well going into this, that an intake at best would get you maybe 2-5 HP, so I'm not expecting massive gains.

I'm getting ready to put on the GM turbo kit (yes I know there are better but I like the idea of having more power and no warranty issues) and I'd like to have an intake that wouldn't make the engine weaker. (I've heard that some intakes can actually lower your horsepower).

Any thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to heresy_fnord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help heresy_fnord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
heresy_fnord is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Rick Tinley Par
Rick Tinley Par is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Performance Air Intake

Redline or NA??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rick Tinley Par's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rick Tinley Par reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rick Tinley Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
SC2SkyVue
SC2SkyVue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresy_fnord View Post

I'm getting ready to put on the GM turbo kit...
That kit is the turbo upgrade from GM which adds 30hp... ?

Wouldn't bother with an alternate air intake of any kind; unless you're looking for more noise under the hood. The factory airbox is quite effective.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
reedred
reedred is on a distinguished road

2009 SKY Red Line

Quote:
So I went to my local dealer the other day and talked to their parts guys and they actually talked me out of getting the GM performance intake for the Sky Redline. They said the part makes the car backfire badly and it also rattles while the car is on.
I've never seen or heard reports of the GMPP intake causing rattling or backfiring, nor does it even seem very plausible. I'd think people would be up in arms if it were causing thrown codes, and GM would probably yank the part. They all magnify the BOV sound (a negative in my book) while providing little to no HP/torque gain over the stock box, though they do look good.

Having people who managed to screw up the installation of a CAI and a backfire diagnosis that badly (probably more than once if the parts guy thinks the CAI is a problem) perform the turbo upgrade would definitely give me pause. You should probably find another dealer or authorized service provider to take care of it for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to reedred's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help reedred reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
reedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I just had the GMPP cold air intake (CAI) and performance upgrade (turbo kit) installed 2 months ago in December through my Saturn dealer - specifically because these parts are designed for the SKY don't void any warranty.

I have absolutely no problemd with the CAI outside of getting used to the noise it makes because the filter is exposed rather than enclosed.

I posted a few questions on the skyroadster forum after I had the upgrades installed just to make sure what I was encountering is considered "normal operating condition".
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...estions-33836/

Whatever you do, make sure and ask your dealer to give you ALL of the parts back with the boxes and instructions should you one day decide to part with your SKY, you can offer the buyer the original parts to bring back to factory spec. if he / she chooses. It also might tell the buyer that you looked after the car very well to have considered these things.

Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted on your progress.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Smil3r
Smil3r is on a distinguished road

What kind of power is it now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Smil3r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Smil3r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Smil3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
gpartrid
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smil3r View Post
What kind of power is it now?
I really haven't had a good opportunity to test it out yet. I picked the car up from the dealer the day before we had the December snowstorm in the DC area and, since it's only a weekend / holiday driver in good to fair weather, I've only had it on the road two or three times without having pushed it beyond 3rd gear.

The engine pulls and pulls and pulls throughout acceleration up to 4th gear - past that I haven't done heavy acceleration. I've not experienced any hesitation or misfiring or any type of detectable "lag". Then again, my SKY's engine performance has always seemed VERY smooth to me.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
heresy_fnord

gpartrid - I watched followed your links all the way to the FB videos of the sky with the turbo and the CAI installed and in my unprofessional opinion, not only does that car sound great, but it is making sounds I would expect to hear. That louder wizz or woosh or "donkey sound" (HAH!) as I think someone mentioned is just the blow off from the turbo between gears. It's just amplified.

As for the CAI, I have considered installing it myself since it seems like you just remove the airbox and the pipe leading to it as well as unplugging two different cables and then installing 2 more.

I would consider another dealer but as Saturn is phasing out, the only dealer I have is Saturn of Cool Springs in TN.

What do you guys think? Maybe I should just do the CAI myself?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help heresy_fnord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
gpartrid
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Cool. There's nothing like asking questions and reading / researching the forum(s) to glean some valuable information.

Now that I know the sounds I'm hearing are normal for this type of equipment upgrade, I'm definitely alright with it and couldn't be happier.

Last weekend is the 1st time in about 3 weeks I drove my RL and I got the boost up to 17 on the DIC under heavy acceleration in 4th gear. There wasn't enough room to push on up into 5th.

So far, it seems, the turbo upgrade and CAI are functioning as they should without any adverse side-effects noted.

As far as installing the CAI on your own, if you have the knowledge, skills and tools to do it without inflicting any damage, then by all means, I'd save the money by DIY.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

Last edited by gpartrid; 03-05-2010 at 09:53 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
heresy_fnord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
Cool. There's nothing like asking questions and reading / researching the forum(s) to glean some valuable information.

Now that I know the sounds I'm hearing are normal for this type of equipment upgrade, I'm definitely alright with it and couldn't be happier.

Last weekend is the 1st time in about 3 weeks I drove my RL and I got the boost up to 17 on the DIC under heavy acceleration in 4th gear. There wasn't enough room to push on up into 5th.

So far, it seems, the turbo upgrade and CAI are functioning as they should without any adverse side-effects noted.

As far as installing the CAI on your own, if you have the knowledge, skills and tools to do it without inflicting any damage, then by all means, I'd save the money by DIY.
That's the problem. I am a technical person (computers) but I've never worked on a car. However that being said, I believe the instructions are online and I wonder if it's just an easy bolt on item. I was hoping to find someone that has done it before that could chime in and give some guidance. I have no qualms on having the dealer install it except that someone above mentioned that it shouldn't rattle or backfire and that the dealer may have not installed it properly.

I'll check out some other forums, the one you linked to earlier seems to be more active.

What was your total cost out the door including the CAI? I am getting the turbo installed for $895 minus $100 for a coupon I have (so $795 plus tax).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
gpartrid
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
That's the problem. I am a technical person (computers) but I've never worked on a car. However that being said, I believe the instructions are online and I wonder if it's just an easy bolt on item. I was hoping to find someone that has done it before that could chime in and give some guidance. I have no qualms on having the dealer install it except that someone above mentioned that it shouldn't rattle or backfire and that the dealer may have not installed it properly.

I'll check out some other forums, the one you linked to earlier seems to be more active.

What was your total cost out the door including the CAI? I am getting the turbo installed for $895 minus $100 for a coupon I have (so $795 plus tax).
I don't know much about the mechanics that go into working on an engine either and prefer to leave that to the folks who really know what they're doing, even if it costs me - it's worth it for my peace of mind, plus, it'll be fully warrantied.

I don't have my receipt handy but I paid around $900 for both the Turbo Upgrade and CAI including labor - but don't quote me on that. Total labor was approx. 2.5 hrs. for both as I had them done at the same time. I think $800 for the turbo upgrade is probably the upper limit for parts and labor.

Check out skyroadster.com. There are two forums that I read daily - "general sky discussion" and "sky redline discussion". That's THE place to get the goods on all of this. I was really surprised at first at how little participation there seems to be on this Sky forum vs. skyroadster.com as I'm active on the Aura forum as well. I read almost voraciously on that as well as this forum and some members are active on both forums. As with our saturnfans forums, there are a lot of very knowledgeable and friendly folks who will gladly advise and opine. There are lots of folks over there who know a boatload about modding and engine performance.

Good luck with your installation. Keep me / us posted as to your progress.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
heresy_fnord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
I don't know much about the mechanics that go into working on an engine either and prefer to leave that to the folks who really know what they're doing, even if it costs me - it's worth it for my peace of mind, plus, it'll be fully warrantied.

I don't have my receipt handy but I paid around $900 for both the Turbo Upgrade and CAI including labor - but don't quote me on that. Total labor was approx. 2.5 hrs. for both as I had them done at the same time. I think $800 for the turbo upgrade is probably the upper limit for parts and labor.

Check out skyroadster.com. There are two forums that I read daily - "general sky discussion" and "sky redline discussion". That's THE place to get the goods on all of this. I was really surprised at first at how little participation there seems to be on this Sky forum vs. skyroadster.com as I'm active on the Aura forum as well. I read almost voraciously on that as well as this forum and some members are active on both forums. As with our saturnfans forums, there are a lot of very knowledgeable and friendly folks who will gladly advise and opine. There are lots of folks over there who know a boatload about modding and engine performance.

Good luck with your installation. Keep me / us posted as to your progress.
I am on skyroadster.com but it never activated my account so I cannot post. I have sent messages to admin but no reply.

I see that it is far more active and I would like to post on there but I cannot. I need to create a new account I guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
reedred
reedred is on a distinguished road

2009 SKY Red Line

Make sure you clicked the link in the email that was sent to you when you registered (if you still have it). That activates your account. After that, your first post goes into moderation status and won't appear until a mod sees and approves it- a way of preventing spam. If you continue to have difficulty, send a PM to cerberus. He's the most responsive of the moderators. Don't bother sending a message to Administrator- that's the AutoForums technical guys and they hardly ever answer unless there's a site performance issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to reedred's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help reedred reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
reedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
gpartrid
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedred View Post
Make sure you clicked the link in the email that was sent to you when you registered (if you still have it). That activates your account. After that, your first post goes into moderation status and won't appear until a mod sees and approves it- a way of preventing spam. If you continue to have difficulty, send a PM to cerberus. He's the most responsive of the moderators. Don't bother sending a message to Administrator- that's the AutoForums technical guys and they hardly ever answer unless there's a site performance issue.
Yup. Either that or hit me up or post a message here if you can't get in and reedred or I'll be more than happy to help. We look forward to you joining the group.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
JackKeville
JackKeville is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line

I have a 2008 Sky Red Line and I had the GM Cold Air Package installed. It was expensive but did give me a full 10% increase in HP. I have had no problems with it in the 2 years I've had it. No backfires except the small ones that come from the MagnaFlo muffler installation. Sounds great when it does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JackKeville's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JackKeville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JackKeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #16
midnightinohio
midnightinohio is on a distinguished road

I just bought a magnaflow cat back exhaust for my red line (part #16761) and I can't wait to install it... It should give me a little more sound (not like a fart box) and power since it's a 3" exhaust... I'm going to put a cold air intake on next somewhere down the road and I can't wait to hear that "donkey sound" or whoosh from the turbo slowing down while winding through the gears. You are so lucky to hear that sound! I have a friend that put a duck call on the bottom of his blow off valve and it makes me laugh so hard it almost brings tears to my eyes!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midnightinohio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midnightinohio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midnightinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #17
jhunter2005
jhunter2005 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Call Odise at Fujita. Tell him Justin Hunter from Dallas sent you. He wil throw on the Intercooler Piping set with the air intake. Increasing all your pipes to 3". Front to Back. I love mine. including the wife.

Odise Bryant

FUJITA AIR

951-491-6446

odise@f5air.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhunter2005's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhunter2005 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhunter2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #18
midnightinohio
midnightinohio is on a distinguished road

Thanks I will... I appreciate it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midnightinohio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midnightinohio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midnightinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #19
Werks11
Werks11 is on a distinguished road

I have the GM intake on my 2006 Solstice does not "rattle" does not cause the car to "backfire", and I put it on in 2007. Oh and what people are talking about is a dry filter not a dry intake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Werks11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Werks11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Werks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #20
RichardFudnavis
RichardFudnavis is on a distinguished road

Proper vehicle maintenance leads to improved performance, and every driver can relate to that. Cold air intakes are the perfect ingredient for those who know how to punch the pedal with authority, and CARiD has just what you need. We offer the latest selection of top-quality Air Intakes and Air Filters that turn hot dirty air into the cool clean breeze your engine needs.....

http://www.alacraft.com.au/haberdashery-cat14

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RichardFudnavis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RichardFudnavis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RichardFudnavis is offline   Reply With Quote