SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
joe81tx
joe81tx is on a distinguished road

Default Stereo Wiring - 2001 SL1

First and foremost I hope you can forgive me, I already cut off the factory wiring harness so I cannot use an adapter. Next, I bought a Pioneer AVIC-U310BT which is a double DIN unit with a 4.3" nav screen. There are 2 orange/yellow/brown wires and I was quite confused on which to use for battery/ignition/dimming until I found this post: saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132618 that told me to use the bigger orange wire and smaller yellow and brown wires. As it stands I have the battery ignition dimming and ground connected. I've only twisted them around each other to make sure everything works before I solder and tape them. I had already soldered some of the other colors which didn't work so I'm just keeping stuff separated and testing until I know everything works. There was a bare copper ground on the back of the OEM unit I don't know what to do with, I just connected the black wire (ground) from the old harness together with the black wire in the new pioneer harness. MY PROBLEM is that when I connect the power and then turn the car on the unit doesn't do anything. I know I know I should've bought the GM stereo adapter. Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joe81tx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joe81tx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joe81tx is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Thee_Antic
Thee_Antic is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Stereo Wiring - 2001 SL1

This might be a stupid reply so in advance I am sorry. But is it possible to just solder on the old wiring harness and still buy the new converter? Might be easier than testing each connection separately...its definitely better than what you have now lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thee_Antic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thee_Antic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thee_Antic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
FearsOfWar
FearsOfWar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Go to any auto parts store & buy a Haynes service manual. They are about $20-25 or so, and they have the full wiring diagram the back, in addition to the service information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FearsOfWar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FearsOfWar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FearsOfWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearsOfWar View Post
Go to any auto parts store & buy a Haynes service manual. They are about $20-25 or so, and they have the full wiring diagram the back, in addition to the service information.
And incorrect information and refering to years ranges that have many differences between them, but never mentioning it.

And to the OP, you might have it wired correctly, check the fuses before trouble shooting any further. All those bare wires could of shorted and blew a fuse.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
SRGW
SRGW is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Post Re: Stereo Wiring - 2001 SL1

Is this of any help??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2001 SL.pdf (37.6 KB, 93 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
joe81tx

Survey says... blown radio battery fuse! The link I originally posted matches the PDF you linked, thank you! Replaced the fuse and voila, the wiring works

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help joe81tx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Thee_Antic
Thee_Antic is on a distinguished road

I thought my answer was stupid lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thee_Antic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thee_Antic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thee_Antic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe81tx View Post
Survey says... blown radio battery fuse! The link I originally posted matches the PDF you linked, thank you! Replaced the fuse and voila, the wiring works
If you may be so kind... could you be so kind as to post pictures of your splice job, and/or at least tell us which color wires go to what?

(not convincing future hack-n-splice projects, but just curious... also doesn't the aftermarket factory harness have a diagram on the back to tell you what wires do what job?)

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee_Antic View Post
I thought my answer was stupid lol.
Actually, it was a good idea takes the guessing out of the picture

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 162k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
joe81tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
If you may be so kind... could you be so kind as to post pictures of your splice job, and/or at least tell us which color wires go to what?

(not convincing future hack-n-splice projects, but just curious... also doesn't the aftermarket factory harness have a diagram on the back to tell you what wires do what job?)

Battery: larger orange
Ignition: smaller yellow
Parking lamps (changes radio from day to night): smaller brown
Ground: black
Left front (+): tan
Left front (-): larger gray
Right front (+): light green
Right front (-): dark green
Left rear (+): larger brown
Left rear (-): larger yellow
Right rear (+): dark blue
Right rear (-): light blue
I did not use the the smaller orange wire (cd changer) or the smaller gray wire (dimming level)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
FearsOfWar
FearsOfWar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
And incorrect information and refering to years ranges that have many differences between them, but never mentioning it.

And to the OP, you might have it wired correctly, check the fuses before trouble shooting any further. All those bare wires could of shorted and blew a fuse.
Fair enough. I use it in conjuction with this site for anything major.

For the most part, it's a good place to start. And the wiring diagram worked for my sound setup.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FearsOfWar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FearsOfWar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FearsOfWar is offline   Reply With Quote