SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #41
damoeli
damoeli is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How-to Replacing heater core w pictures

you are the man! I have just spent the past two hours of my life wandering around this, and one other saturn blog, looking for tips on how to change the heater core in my wife's 01 sl1. I am doing it first thing in the morning and having done one in the past on a dodge, I was dreading removing half of the car to get at the hc. Thanks to you I now have a glimmer of hope that I will have time left in my day to go catch some salmon down at the dam. Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to damoeli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help damoeli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
damoeli is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #42
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoeli View Post
Thanks to you I now have a glimmer of hope that I will have time left in my day to go catch some salmon down at the dam. Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you
You're welcome! What kind of salmon are you after? Rainbows (water chickens), undoubtedly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #43
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Hopefully not dredging up an old thread/post; but I may have to do this soon in the 97 SW2.

After replacing the exhaust recently; driving around in the cold, we get nice heat on the recycle button, but if we just have the heat on, it doesn't get very warm, very quick...more of a slow buildup of heat.

To those that have replaced the heater core, it actually doesn't look too difficult to do.

Shawn V and others: Any recommendations on a specific replacement?

RockAuto has a few of them:

Spectra ($37) , Delphi ($44), and Vista-Pro ($53)

Which brand have you used as a replacement, and are you happy with the results 10 months later?

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #44
raffy
raffy is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

Nice! How much coolant came out of the heater hoses when you removed them? Did you pinch them to keep coolant from coming out? Did you have to add coolant after replacing the core?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to raffy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help raffy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:58 AM   #45
keithreed
keithreed is on a distinguished road

Excellent job! I didn't know how to replace my heater core and then I saw this thread. Thank you very much!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keithreed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keithreed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
keithreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #46
tacticalturkey
tacticalturkey is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Thanks ShawnV, Awesome Post!! My heater core didn't have a leak...I was tired when I pulled the engine/trans and left a heater hose attached. Thanks again!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tacticalturkey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tacticalturkey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tacticalturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #47
pocket aces
pocket aces is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

my heater core went bad 1 day after replacing waterpump and serpentine belt.ty for the step by step as i intend to do this myself as i did the pump and belt.also,replacing radiator and driver side spindle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pocket aces's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pocket aces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pocket aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #48
Diusterios
Diusterios is on a distinguished road

1991 Astra XE
1991 Astra XE
Default I appreciated

I'm new here , nice thread!

[CENTER][B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="6"]CLICK BELOW TO
[url=http://dutasteride.us/]buy generic Dutasteride[/url][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[url=http://vpxlpillstore.com/buy-avodart-en.html][img]http://cytotec.us/img/3_en.gif[/img][/url]
[/CENTER]

dutasteride
dutasteride hair loss
dutasteride generic
buy dutasteride
buy dutasteride generic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diusterios's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diusterios reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Diusterios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #49
jshack
jshack is on a distinguished road

1998 SW1

Thank you for the tutorial and the pictures. I managed to get the HC out and starting cleaning up all the antifreeze. I ordered the new HC and it should be in Sat. I must say that this has not been a pleasant job so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jshack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jshack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #50
bdmeyer
bdmeyer has a spectacular aura aboutbdmeyer has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Can anyone tell me how similar this is to replacing the heater core on an L series (2000)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdmeyer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdmeyer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #51
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A heater core is a heater core for almost any car. Replacing one can be difficult as HVAC boxes are different from one model to another. You might find better info if you search the L-series threads. Troubleshooting may reveal nothing more than leaking O-rings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #52
1potato
1potato is on a distinguished road

I just did this to my 1997 Saturn SW2. Thanks for the post, it helped get me started. When I bought the car in 1998 it had 27k miles, now it has 250k. It keeps moving along. I must say this took me 2 hours to just verify the heater core was bad. Then it took me 3.5 hours to put it all back together. I noticed the foam has gone bad and had to glue some of it back in place but that larger piece I will have to get some Home Depot sticky sided foam and replace it... so obviously I left the side panels off for access. The old foam is too far gone on the big round duct. I have paper towels in there for now. I used a Spectra heater core and it has swivel arms on it and that made it hard to get back in to a degree because the firewall has a cut out for the holes and you have to rock the tubes a bit to get it to go. I had to go back under the car to see what was holding it up then go back inside to adjust it and then it went.

Other things.. well I snapped the temperature cable bracket.. Thankfully two plastic cable ties fixed that. Having worked on cars, built engines, and raced, and replaced blower motors in other cars years ago I think I would have not broken that but it did so oh well. Seems this was a lot easier when I was 20. Laying upside down backward half in and half out of the car is not so easy anymore!

I bought the car used from a Saturn dealer and as part of the deal I demanded the Service Manuals.. ya those factory ones!! So I have that and they come in handy as in this case. The only think I can recommend is have some good silicone handy to put the foam back in place, or some double sided tape. Also, i used a 7/32 socket, and in the past I had replaced the heater core tube clamps on the firewall with hose clamps. Beyond that, stretch every day for about a month before you do it.

Oh do yourself a favor, drain the radiator first, as the hoses make a real mess on the firewall. I did most of it, but not enough. And don't lose the clips or screws!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1potato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1potato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #53
FlawedKy
FlawedKy is on a distinguished road

BOOM!! This. Rocks. Just did my '94 sl1 in two hours. I went in from the top after pulling the air cleaner off the TB. Thanks SaturnFans!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FlawedKy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FlawedKy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FlawedKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:00 AM   #54
ultravioletnk
ultravioletnk is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SC2

just checking in to say this was a very helpful guide for me, especially the interior part! i had no idea which screws to remove.

one suggestion, though... do the interior part first, then put a towel down under the heater core before you disconnect the hoses. i did it that way and not a single drop of coolant leaked onto my carpet.

rings - 1996 sl2 - purple and gold ~215kmi
janus - 2000 sohc2 - very sunburned red and purple ~170kmi
phoebe - 1995 sl1 - silver and teal ~240kmi
FOR SALE - 2002 sl1, sky blue 124kmi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ultravioletnk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ultravioletnk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ultravioletnk is offline   Reply With Quote