SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
dnwoody
dnwoody is on a distinguished road

Default Exhaust heat shield

I replaced the exhaust system on my 1996 SL2. The garage that welded the replacement tore off the bent up aluminum heat shield and told me not to worry because the pipes are far enough away from the bottom af the car. He said it won`t heat up enough to affect anything. Can anyone tell me if this is true? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dnwoody's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dnwoody reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dnwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Exhaust heat shield

Which one did they tear off? Where is is located?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
dnwoody

The shield is gone from the muffler to just before the resonator pipe. It`s still on from that point all the way uo to the flex pipe area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dnwoody reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

That part of the pipe does not get that hot but I would be wanting the heat shields installed. They are there for a reason. Not having the shields will heat up the floor and the trunk. If they were not necessary the factory would not have put them there.

Not knowing where you are located I do not know what recourse you have to force them to replace them with proper heat shields but I bet you can do it. Make them use the real Saturn heat shields. I would just make them pay the dealer to do it. There are still Saturn dealers out there who can get those type of parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

out of curiosity how are those shields attached to the bottom of the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
dnwoody

I live in Maine. I have the shields from the parts car and they`re in good condition. They are held on buy a series of rivet type things that don`t work that well. The shield is so thin that it rips and falls down. Thinking about leaving it off and keeping an eye on the heat in car and trunk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Those shields are held in place by 3/16 aluminum pop rivets. If you get the big head rivets and use a washer under the head they will hold fine. The muffler gets quite hot and should have a shield as plastic does not like heat at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!