SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
803scdantes
803scdantes is on a distinguished road

Default P0410 Code/ Exhaust Manifold Cleaning Question

After watching Richpin's video, I removed the carbon from the metal pipe that connects to the exhaust manifold. The pipe was almost completely full of carbon as was the entrance to the exhaust manifold. The code was gone for a while since I detached the battery while I repaired the DRL light wires. Anyways, the code came back and I'm wondering if the exhaust manifold itself is clogged. Last week the code gave me the O2 sensor replacement code too, but now that seems to be gone.

What I'm wondering is is it possible to clean the pipe down the exhaust manifold without removing it and if not how difficult is it to remove the exhaust manifold and is it likely that my problem is even carbon buildup in the exhaust manifold? It doesn't look like something an amateur like me can do based on richpin's video of the exhaust manifold replacement in the Jeep.
803scdantes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: P0410 Code/ Exhaust Manifold Cleaning Question

To clean that mess out you have to unbolt the manifold and pull it back far enough to scrape out the channel on the back side. An inch will do it. If your real careful the gasket survives also. Belt and A/C compressor bracket has to come off so it will come back far enough.

Now, if you have access to 100psi air and one of those rubber tipped air guns you can try and blow it out enough to get flow back into the exhaust. Sometimes you get lucky. If you fix it the code will clear after 2 key on, drive, key off cycles.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
803scdantes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
To clean that mess out you have to unbolt the manifold and pull it back far enough to scrape out the channel on the back side. An inch will do it. If your real careful the gasket survives also. Belt and A/C compressor bracket has to come off so it will come back far enough.

Now, if you have access to 100psi air and one of those rubber tipped air guns you can try and blow it out enough to get flow back into the exhaust. Sometimes you get lucky. If you fix it the code will clear after 2 key on, drive, key off cycles.
So I don't actually have to remove the AC Compressor- just the bracket and the belt?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
rogerx
rogerx is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
2006 ION-2 Sedan

this is how i fix code p0410. you must clean out the entire air injection system, it will plug up with carbon that must be removed. you should get new gaskets , head to exhaust manifold and manifold to exhaust pipe. i use fel pro brand. first remove the a/c compressor. you must remove the exhaust manifold and clean the ports in the manifold, it is a slot across the back of the manifold that will plug solid with carbon. you must also clean the small port in the head just above each exhaust port. use a 3/16 drill bit in a cordless drill. then use a piece of stiff wire with a 90 degree bend in it to clean out the small hole that goes from the exhaust port to the small port that you just drilled out. also clean out the tube that goes from the exhaust manifold to the diverter valve. the diverter valve may also be bad, take it apart and look at the check valve. it is just a flap of metal that flexes back and forth. their is usually so much carbon on the seat of the valve that it holds the valve plate open. i just get a new valve from the saturn dealer. the air pump could be bad but i have not seen this. the ecm will only run the pump for a short time when the engine is cold. most of the time this code will only set in cooler weather because the pump should be on for a longer time. if you take the time to clean everything to a like new condition and get a new diverter valve the code should not come back
rogerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
So I don't actually have to remove the AC Compressor- just the bracket and the belt?
No, you unbolt the bracket with the compressor attached and gently lay the entire thing up on the radiator support so you can pull the manifold back. Read the post above in case you have to take it all apart. You have already dealt with the diverter valve and connector pipe so all that is left is the manifold track.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
ShelfLife
ShelfLife is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Sorry about what may seem as a dumb question but I need to do this as well but I'm concerned about the difficulty of unbolting the manifiold. Aren't those bolts particularly tough to work with?
ShelfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
FearsOfWar
FearsOfWar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

I removed the pipe entirely & ran it for a few minutes. After a few, I heard a loud pop, freaked out, turned the car off & ran behind it.

Turns out, it was just a mass of carbon buildup that shot out of my exhaust pipe.

Only problem now is my wife complains about the black stain in our driveway.
FearsOfWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
803scdantes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearsOfWar View Post
I removed the pipe entirely & ran it for a few minutes. After a few, I heard a loud pop, freaked out, turned the car off & ran behind it.

Turns out, it was just a mass of carbon buildup that shot out of my exhaust pipe.

Only problem now is my wife complains about the black stain in our driveway.
Hmm....I may try this before removing the manifold. . .
Old 02-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
FearsOfWar
FearsOfWar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

It shouldn't take long. I did that before I replaced my thermostat, so it wasn't even heating up all the way.
FearsOfWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #10
klcl
klcl is on a distinguished road

"you must also clean the small port in the head just above each exhaust port. use a 3/16 drill bit in a cordless drill. then use a piece of stiff wire with a 90 degree bend in it to clean out the small hole that goes from the exhaust port to the small port that you just drilled out."

My 4 small ports were clogged with carbon and I cleaned them out best I can with a stiff wire but they are still clogged since I cannot blow air through them.

Where do these holes exit? How do I get a wire with 90 degree bend in there to clean them. I don't understand the use of the 3/16 drill bit, are we making new holes?

Last edited by klcl; 03-14-2010 at 01:44 AM.
klcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
cantom
cantom is a jewel in the roughcantom is a jewel in the roughcantom is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1

I want to again thank Old Nuc, Richpin, and many other contributors on this site! Your efforts and info are very much appreciated!

I just got my 6th Saturn SL series car in January. This is a 2001 SL1 SOHC with manual trans that had only 79,000 km on it!

When I bought it, no codes or lights. But the P0410 lit the wretched SES light a couple of weeks ago.
I ordered and received the factory Diverter valve today (they're only $20 for a factory GM/Saturn part) and installed it. (start out simple and work along to more complicated)

I had already determined that the fuse was fine and that the A.I.R. pump was running and getting power.

After a while, I disconnected the battery cable for a while to clear the code (as I have no other way to do it. and am not patient enough to hope it'll go out by itself)
At this point, driving around town for a while, the light hasn't come back on again...yet. Before, it was on all of the time, even after being cleared.

I've read a bunch of threads on here and seen Richpin's video and am well aware of the plugged stainless tube, plugged manifold etc. that is usually part and parcel of this problem.
So please hope with me that the diverter valve alone will fix it.

If SES comes on again, next step will be to remove the tube, decarbonize it and run the engine for a while with it off, in the hopes that the carbon in the manifold might clear itself in the absence of the tube. (as others have mentioned worked for them)

Last edited by cantom; 05-03-2018 at 04:29 PM.
cantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantom View Post
After a while, I disconnected the battery cable for a while to clear the code (as I have no other way to do it.
Another tip I picked up here (probably from OldNuc ) - you can clear codes by removing the PCM-B fuse from the fusebox (UHJB, in front of the battery).

The backside of the top cover has the fuse layout, and there is a white plastic fuse puller (or should be) in the box itself. This cuts power off the PCM, clearing its memory of any codes (you also lose any adaptive learning. . . just as disconnecting the battery would). The advantage is, your radio still gets power so you don't have to reset the clock or stations.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #13
cantom
cantom is a jewel in the roughcantom is a jewel in the roughcantom is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1

Dammit...I spoke too soon. It's back on...

These lights have bedevilled me for many years. I've never once ever gotten one to go out once lit.
No matter how many new parts I've installed.

Next step...off comes the tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantom View Post
I want to again thank Old Nuc, Richpin, and many other contributors on this site! Your efforts and info are very much appreciated!

I just got my 6th Saturn SL series car in January. This is a 2001 SL1 SOHC with manual trans that had only 79,000 km on it!

When I bought it, no codes or lights. But the P0410 lit the wretched SES light a couple of weeks ago.
I ordered and received the factory Diverter valve today (they're only $20 for a factory GM/Saturn part) and installed it. (start out simple and work along to more complicated)

I had already determined that the fuse was fine and that the A.I.R. pump was running and getting power.

After a while, I disconnected the battery cable for a while to clear the code (as I have no other way to do it. and am not patient enough to hope it'll go out by itself)
At this point, driving around town for a while, the light hasn't come back on again...yet. Before, it was on all of the time, even after being cleared.

I've read a bunch of threads on here and seen Richpin's video and am well aware of the plugged stainless tube, plugged manifold etc. that is usually part and parcel of this problem.
So please hope with me that the diverter valve alone will fix it.

If SES comes on again, next step will be to remove the tube, decarbonize it and run the engine for a while with it off, in the hopes that the carbon in the manifold might clear itself in the absence of the tube. (as others have mentioned worked for them)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #14
cantom

2001 SL1

Okay, I've found the problem.
I had noticed an anomoly. The power brakes usually store up some vacuum. Anyway, for the last few days, when I start the car, the pedal is hard from the beginning, only developing vacuum as the car starts running. Had me thinking of checking for vacuum leaks.
I replaced the diverter valve and after about half an hour of driving, the light came back on.
So I pulled the stainless tube off and...it was not plugged, not even close. Really full diameter with only a small amount of carbon lining it.

Put that back on and then did what Richpin recommended in his video. I started tracing the plastic vacuum line over to the left and...it was broken just past that rubber 90 degree elbow to the left (standing in front looking at engine) of the diverter. Vacuum leak, meaning no vacuum to open the valve, thus no air being injected to the manifold.

Tomorrow am, off to the FLAPS to get a piece of vacuum hose.

Too bad I wasted $50 buying the new valve. Oh well.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
cantom

2001 SL1

I can confirm that the problem was the broken plastic vacuum hose over to the left of the valve. I fixed the hose/line with a piece of vacuum hose and cleared the code and, weeks later, the SES light has not come back on.

Nice to fix one for a change.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #16
Corners
Corners has a spectacular aura aboutCorners has a spectacular aura aboutCorners has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL

"After watching Richpin's video, I removed the carbon from the metal pipe that connects to the exhaust manifold."

Anyone know which video that was?

I have been through the youtube list, found the video about cleaning the exhaust manifold with the manifold completely removed with no pipe attached, but didn't find one about cleaning the pipe that connects to the exhaust manifold. (But the youtube page did keep buffering on me so I lost the last title I was reading, and then had to go find that again, hope I got to the same place, try again until it buffered again...) So I could have missed some.

I have a P0401 fail with an odd irregular exhaust 'pooting' noise, and am looking into the most efficient ways to clean carbon from my system with limited tools.
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote