SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
scott2683
scott2683 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default 2003Ford ranger FX4 Vs. 2006 Saturn Vue AWD V6

I have an 06 saturn vue, and I have been debating on trading it in on a truck. A guy in town runs a small dealership and he has an 03 ford ranger Fx4, and basically said he will trade me even, if not give a little cash to boot. I don't have any kids and hardly use all the passenger space, so I wanted your guys opinions? You guys think this is a fair trade off? Whats the quality difference?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scott2683's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scott2683 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scott2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2003Ford ranger FX4 Vs. 2006 Saturn Vue AWD V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2683 View Post
I have an 06 saturn vue, and I have been debating on trading it in on a truck. A guy in town runs a small dealership and he has an 03 ford ranger Fx4, and basically said he will trade me even, if not give a little cash to boot. I don't have any kids and hardly use all the passenger space, so I wanted your guys opinions? You guys think this is a fair trade off? Whats the quality difference?
Scott ... I suggest you use edmunds.com to determine fair market value of each vehicle for your zip code ... to give you an idea of comparative pricing.

I recently traded a 2003 Ranger Edge 4X4 for a 2004 Chevy S-10 crew cab. The 03 Ranger has a 4.0 single overhead cam engine (SOHC) which uses dual chains to drive jack-screws for the valve train. My engine, with less than 50,000 miles, was noisy (rattle) at start up and gas mileage was bad ... 12 around town and less than 20 cruising at highway speed.

I had a 1998 Ranger before the 03 which also had a 4.0, but of a completely different design. The 98 was still purring when I sold with 105,000 miles and got better mileage than the newer SOHC 4.0.

The 4X4 transfer case for both Rangers was finicky and required frequent adjustment of the servo motor gear mechanism for trouble-free shifting.

Price the tires also, one of the special tires used on FX will cost same as two or three for the Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Let me preface this with the fact that I had an Explorer before my VRL, and loved it.

Don't do it. That's a fools deal. 3 years older, and a much cheaper vehicle. In price that is.

FWIW, my Explorer was MUCH better built than my Vue is, and was silent with no rattles or anything. Quite a feat at 10+ years old and 220k miles. It was much tougher in every aspect.

I wouldn't do it, because I wouldn't take the loss in the trade on your end. But that's just me. It sounds like you just want a change more than anything. FWIW, you can pick up used Rangers for dirt cheap (try to find the 4.0 OHV, it comes with an older transmission and has less power but its bulletproof)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
stbvue
stbvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Scott ... I suggest you use edmunds.com to determine fair market value of each vehicle for your zip code ... to give you an idea of comparative pricing.

I recently traded a 2003 Ranger Edge 4X4 for a 2004 Chevy S-10 crew cab. The 03 Ranger has a 4.0 single overhead cam engine (SOHC) which uses dual chains to drive jack-screws for the valve train. My engine, with less than 50,000 miles, was noisy (rattle) at start up and gas mileage was bad ... 12 around town and less than 20 cruising at highway speed.

I had a 1998 Ranger before the 03 which also had a 4.0, but of a completely different design. The 98 was still purring when I sold with 105,000 miles and got better mileage than the newer SOHC 4.0.

The 4X4 transfer case for both Rangers was finicky and required frequent adjustment of the servo motor gear mechanism for trouble-free shifting.

Price the tires also, one of the special tires used on FX will cost same as two or three for the Vue.
Hey grumpy, didnt the older ford broncos have the 4.0 in that made the same tapping noise in the motor?. I remember my brother had the bronco that sounded like a wash machine coming down the street. Think about it Scott an 06 for a 03 trade? who wouldnt do that deal..Like far2grumpy says do edmunds or kelly book value on it.

I dont mind things that go bump in the night as long as they arent in my VUE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stbvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stbvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbvue View Post
Hey grumpy, didnt the older ford broncos have the 4.0 in that made the same tapping noise in the motor?. I remember my brother had the bronco that sounded like a wash machine coming down the street. Think about it Scott an 06 for a 03 trade? who wouldnt do that deal..Like far2grumpy says do edmunds or kelly book value on it.
I had the "push-rod" 4.0 in my 98 Ranger and I thought it was a quiet and efficient engine. I believe they began using the 4.0 SOHC in 2001. It was supposedly a Cosworth designed product.

I read of a chain oiling problem on many of the early SOHC's. I had a 2003, and if it wasn't started daily, especially in cold weather, it sounded like the chain was tearing teeth from the sprockets.

I had visions of a big-time motor failure - it was a nice looking truck - my daughter wanted it - but I took it to the local Ford dealer and traded it in on a used Chevy P/U.

Is that justice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
stbvue

2005 VUE 3.5L

Trading a Ranger for a Chevy PU is justice in my book LoL. I loved my 98 S-10 ZR2 but, It developed a coolant leak on the head that didnt leak enough to leave a puddle on driveway but enough to burn on the header and smell alot. The gas mileage sucked in it so i traded it in for a Colorado I5.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

If you want a truck, get the truck. If you're just using either vehicle as transportation, then I'd stick with the VUE.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
scott2683

2004 VUE 3.5L

The ranger would be used as my daily driver, as is the vue, I drove the truck and it drove pretty well.
I will have to say that 4.0 has nothing on my 3.5. I will probably end up keeping the vue, although
He did mention giving me money to boot

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help scott2683 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Unless you are going to haul dirty cargo or very tall cargo, I'd say keep the Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
stbvue

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2683 View Post
The ranger would be used as my daily driver, as is the vue, I drove the truck and it drove pretty well.
I will have to say that 4.0 has nothing on my 3.5. I will probably end up keeping the vue, although
He did mention giving me money to boot
I agree if your using it as a daily driver, id keep the Vue. We really like ours and its more versatile than ya think. That is if you dont need a truck for hauling bigger stuff. I think the 3.5 hauls ass when needed, this has more HP than both of my trucks and better on gas IMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

yea i would like to see how that would be,,,along with our Vue we have a 01 explorer sport..4.0sohc...I think the Vue is rated 45 more horsepower than mine..210hp,,wonder if its becuase of the vtec? and yea gas milage sucks in it, 4x4 24 on hwy was the best,,,since you have the RL edition id keep it....but ya compare on edmunds....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Hey, my 2007 F-150 has a 4.2L pushrod V6 and a 5-speed manual. They only made a few of these and discontinued the V6 and manual trans either for '08 or '09. Anyway, that engine is great. The whole package is tremendous for a no-frills basic truck. If you could find one of these for sale (good luck, most guys sleep in them with a shotgun) it would be a great trade for a VUE plus a few bucks. I don't think the Ranger is a decent trade for your VUE, assuming the VUE is in good condition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #13
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

even tho i am a huge ford fan and own a ranger myself.....Honda drive train FTW......

2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtremeranger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #14
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

The 4.0 SOHC is very prone to engine failure. The older OHV engines used in the older Explorer/Ranger/Mazda PU/Navajo etc, was a decent engine overall. I would definitely keep the VUE over the Ranger. The used market is flooded with them. They are most company's work trucks and the FX4 has little more value than the base model. Keep the VUE, forget the Ranger. It's not a good deal.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
SoundGuy
SoundGuy is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XE

I had a v6 ford ranger (with the extra cab) years ago...years and years ago the more I think about it.

If someone gave me the option now of my VUE for a Ranger, I'd probably stick with the VUE. I loved my ford but if it didn't have the extra cab, then I would never have bought it.

Let me also put it this way, if I had the choice between the two and both were new, I'd go with the VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoundGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoundGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SoundGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
scott2683

2004 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for all the good advice guys, I test drove the ranger, and dollar for dollar, I feel that you are all right, the vue is the better vehicle. A heck of a lot quicker too. I like rangers, but I was glad to get back in my vue and drive off!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!