SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: How to jury rig a horn switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecze View Post
Gheuett, have you done this?

I looked at my 03 vue and I see the same wires as you. However, I clipped the black wire, and that wasn't the horn. It was the cruise control.
There's some bad info in some of these horn posts - and I probably contributed some of it.

The latest and greatest that I know of (only applies to 02-03 Vue) is in attached thumbnail.

I suspect if you clip the solid blue wire - run to a switch - and connect other lead from switch to a good ground - you'll be back in business.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03 Vue - Horn.jpg (93.3 KB, 109 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #22
Gheuett
Gheuett has a spectacular aura aboutGheuett has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Actually, I ended up following the service manual procedure to remove the airbag and get to the horn wires and just clip them. I really took my time and followed the procedure to the letter just to make sure I didn't set off the airbag. The most difficult part to me was identifying the wires the manual says need to be disconnected prior to removing the airbag. I bought one of those CD manuals for the Vue and some of the diagrams and pictures are tough to translate to the real world under that steering column and dashboard.

Unless you have a good service manual, I would not recommend going that route.

Thanks,
Gib

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gheuett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gheuett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gheuett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #23
tkingsley24
tkingsley24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecze View Post
Gheuett, have you done this?

I looked at my 03 vue and I see the same wires as you. However, I clipped the black wire, and that wasn't the horn. It was the cruise control.

Curious if you found out which wire is the horn on the 03 vue. I also am trying to get my 03 vue's horn back in working order (currently have relay pulled). I want to install a swtich to get it working. Any help would be much appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tkingsley24's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tkingsley24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tkingsley24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkingsley24 View Post
Curious if you found out which wire is the horn on the 03 vue. I also am trying to get my 03 vue's horn back in working order (currently have relay pulled). I want to install a swtich to get it working. Any help would be much appreciated!
Did you read post # 21 (blue wire at steering wheel connector)?

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
CraigInCO
CraigInCO is on a distinguished road

I have a stuck horn switch and am looking to clip the wire on an 03 Vue also. Has anyone successfully done this? I'm thinking it's one of the wires in the center of the column that appears to be going into the airbag area.

Tried to post a few pics but I don't have the status to do so yet.

I see far2grumpy's post:
Did you read post # 21 (blue wire at steering wheel connector)?
and
I suspect if you clip the solid blue wire - run to a switch - and connect other lead from switch to a good ground - you'll be back in business.

I'd sure like know if someone has done this successfully. I'll wait a bit before trying but either way I'll post what I do at a later date.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CraigInCO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CraigInCO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CraigInCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #26
sabr21
sabr21 is on a distinguished road

03 Saturn Vue 4cyl manual
I did the same thing. Did you ever find what is the right color wire to cut?

The black wire from steering wheel is not for the horn.
Does anyone know the correct color wire for the horn?

Last edited by sabr21; 06-22-2013 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: not clear

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sabr21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sabr21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sabr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #27
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabr21 View Post
Does anyone know the correct color wire for the horn?
Blue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
sabr21
sabr21 is on a distinguished road

2003 Saturn Vue 4cyl. Manual Trans

How to install a horn switch bypass.

Items: 1. Momentary Switch (2 connectors) I broke 1 switch may want to purchase 2 just in case.
2. 22 gauge wire
(I purchased (1&2) from Radio Shack)
3. Electrical Tape
4. Wire Cutters and Strippers
5. Solder and Iron
6. Phillips Screw Driver #2
7. Drill and bit to drill hole to mount switch

Installation:
1. Remove top steering console (pops off)
2. strip back sheathing and cut solid blue wire
3. You will have to find a place to mount switch
4. cut plenty of wire and strip one end (enough to solder to switch)
5. solder ends to connectors on switch
6. drill hole and mount switch
7. tape off blue wire coming from steering wheel
8. Connect 1 wire from switch to other end of blue wire (may have to trim wire from switch depending on length). Electrical tape them together.
9. Connect other wire from switch to a desired ground location. (Again may have to trim wire for desired length).
10. Test horn

If all works start putting back together. This process took about 1hr. after the searching all the forums and breaking 1 switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sabr21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sabr21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sabr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #29
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Good work - the alternative was probably air bag replacement and who could guess at cost for that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #30
loughkb
loughkb is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I recently bought an 05 vue for my son and discovered the horn relay was missing. Upon replacing it and tapping the horn once, it stuck. So it seems to have the same bad membrane switch problem.

I followed many of these threads and thought it would be easy to bypass the horn switches. That is, until I opened the top cover of the steering column and discovered that there are 12 wires going to the airbag module, and none of them are a solid color.

I have probed the wires and tried cutting the grounded ones one at a time, but the horn still sounds. I have searched and searched for a diagram that will tell me what wire is the horn switches with no luck. The 12 wires are all one colro with a stripe of a different color.

Does anyone have access to a diagram that will tell me what wire is the horn switch on this model? I've already mounted a push button on the dash next to the steering column and have it's wires coiled up in the column ready to be connected. I just need to know which wire to splice!

Thanks for any help. I'm nervous having my son drive around without a horn or working alarm system.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to loughkb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help loughkb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
loughkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #31
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by loughkb View Post
Hello,

I recently bought an 05 vue for my son and discovered the horn relay was missing. Upon replacing it and tapping the horn once, it stuck. So it seems to have the same bad membrane switch problem.

I followed many of these threads and thought it would be easy to bypass the horn switches. That is, until I opened the top cover of the steering column and discovered that there are 12 wires going to the airbag module, and none of them are a solid color.

I have probed the wires and tried cutting the grounded ones one at a time, but the horn still sounds. I have searched and searched for a diagram that will tell me what wire is the horn switches with no luck. The 12 wires are all one colro with a stripe of a different color.

Does anyone have access to a diagram that will tell me what wire is the horn switch on this model? I've already mounted a push button on the dash next to the steering column and have it's wires coiled up in the column ready to be connected. I just need to know which wire to splice!

Thanks for any help. I'm nervous having my son drive around without a horn or working alarm system.

Kevin
Kevin ... you've had rough start - wiring identification for steering wheel module just isn't good.

You should be able to lower steering column and follow the multi-color wire harness from steering wheel hub back to instrument panel and next set of connectors.

The horn (and cruise control wires) are routed to a 6-pin connector. See the attached thumbnail to identify the Horn Control Circuit wire. It'll be black wire (in pin F) on one side of connector and you should be able to check mating connector to determine wire color leading to the steering wheel module input.

Please repost or send a PM if you need more information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O5 Vue - Horn C4.jpg (185.1 KB, 35 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #32
300maximilien
300maximilien is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

So I tried this fix and no love. See this post for my issues....

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=1#post2091649

2002 Saturn Vue V-6 81,000 miles
2002 Chrysler 300M Special 115,000 miles
1978 Dodge Li'l Red Express 78,000 miles
1997 Dodge Neon 2dr Sport 130,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 300maximilien's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 300maximilien reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
300maximilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #33
halo14
halo14 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all of your help, guys. Worked like a charm. It's the blue wire, not the black or black/gray one... cut the blue wire!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to halo14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help halo14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
halo14 is offline   Reply With Quote