SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Treeman
Treeman is on a distinguished road

Default How to jury rig a horn switch?

I know it's part of the airbag assembly and will cost $700 to $1500 to replace the airbag. My question is how can I jury rig a horn button to bypass spending all that dough to get a horn again?
I went to toot the horn and it just stayed on until I pulled the relay.
Any ideas along with schematics would be appreciated.
Let me know if you need an email address for posting a fix.
Thanks!
Treeman
2004 Vue
No auto anything! (door-locks,seats,windows,alarms)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Treeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Treeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: How to jury rig a horn switch?

Treeman ... you can find a 04 horn schematic in post # 4 of following thread (rules prevent me from reposting):

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=139475

It appears you can add a new horn switch at a location of choice.

The horn switch will accommodate two leads and you'd connect one new lead from horn switch to low side of horn relay (after disconnecting, taping and stowing the existing bad wire).

Connect the remaining horn switch wire to a suitable ground and you'll be back in business (horn-wise, at least).

I can prepare a suggested diagram if you wish.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

I paid somewhere between 800-900 to have my horn switch/airbag replaced on my 04 Vue back towards the end of 2005. Then the VTi went a few months later . I traded it in for an 06 Vue and have been very happy ever since.

There may be other posts on this on this forum but the problems replacing the switch lie in:

1) Accidentally setting off the airbag while working on the switch.

2) Creating a safety hazard if the airbag goes off down the road and you have modified the horn switch.

Not many alternatives to replacing the airbag assembly/switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

A while ago, someone posted a workaround that used two buttons, attached through the vinyl skin of the air bag covering. Bad idea. Sure, his horn worked, but if the airbag ever went off, he'd have two new button sized piercings on his face...

A coworker with the horn button issue had a button glued onto the column. She'd just reach around the wheel and push the button. And hey, it passed Virginia inspection.

Suggest you follow far2grumpys advice with the wiring. Just don't wire it to a button you place in front of the airbag assembly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Treeman

Happy Re: How to jury rig a horn switch?

Thanks far2grumpy,
When I pulled the horn relay I must have pissed the cars computer off because now I have the infamous, "service engine soon light." I'll take it to a GM dealer and see if he can clear this. (since a cars horn is a normally open circuit)
We found the actual horn and pulled the wire off it, then replaced the horn relay.
I imagine I'll be getting an aftermarket electric horn an gluing the horn button to the side of the column to be legal.
Thanks for your help,
Treeman

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Treeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Is the horn button just an issue with the 4 banger or is the V6 also affected? I thought I read somewhere here that the V6 and I4 had different steering wheels. Is this true?

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Treeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Treeman ... you can find a 04 horn schematic in post # 4 of following thread (rules prevent me from reposting):

URL removed to post,

It appears you can add a new horn switch at a location of choice.

The horn switch will accommodate two leads and you'd connect one new lead from horn switch to low side of horn relay (after disconnecting, taping and stowing the existing bad wire).

Connect the remaining horn switch wire to a suitable ground and you'll be back in business (horn-wise, at least).

I can prepare a suggested diagram if you wish.
Hi far2grupy.
I got the diagram but can't figure out the two wire colors that need to be spliced into the low side of the horn relay.
Can you tell which color wires to cut?
Thanks, Treeman

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
I got the diagram but can't figure out the two wire colors that need to be spliced into the low side of the horn relay.
Can you tell which color wires to cut? Thanks, Treeman
Treeman ... You'll not be wanting to connect two wires to low-side of the horn relay.

The existing relay low-side wire is black. This black wire is the one you can intercept, cut and connect to one of the two new horn switch wires.

The remaining wire from horn switch will be connected to ground.

You'll want to carefully tape and stow the other piece of the "old" black wire to protect from other wiring or metal objects.

I'd try to intercept the existing horn feed at the center instrument panel FUSE BLOCK, which is accessible by removing a small cover from console in the passengers foot-well.

The schematic depicts the black wire leaving the I/P FUSE BLOCK on connector 1 contact B6. I've been into this fuse block on my 05 and I believe the connectors are marked. If you find they're not, and you can't locate
a black wire at C1/B6 let me know, I take a look at mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Treeman

Happy Re: How to jury rig a horn switch?

far2grumpy,
I went to a Buick / GMC dealer who for $99 diagnosed that the membrane that holds the contacts to the back of the airbag had failed, letting them make a constant contact. He cut the wires at the contact for me, put in the relay fuse and the "service engine soon," light disappeared. The top part of the steering column snaps upward and off, exposing six wires. On the right facing forward it's the black wire and black & white wire that closes the circuit to the horn and makes it sound. I will be placing the horn button from J.C. Whitney to the right of the steering wheel on the top of the dash. Anywhere else would be to hard to get at in an emergency.
So there you have it, progress at last. Although having to reverse engineer a problem that in the past cost little to repair with a new airbag ($760} does bring some satisfaction. Imagine, a computer had to tell me my horn was stuck!
Thanks for all your help. I hope this post might help someone else out in the future that went through this!
Thanks all.
Best,
Treeman

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Treeman ... it sounds like the dealer did a decent job for you and IMO the price isn't really that outrageous considering effort expended and value to you.

I'm trying to visualize how "top part of the steering column snaps upward and off, exposing six wires"? Did you observe the tech loosening any screws from back-side of steering wheel to free the airbag?

I've always been reluctant to do any effort in close proximity to any airbags.

I guess I'm just a natural-born scaredy-cat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Treeman ... it sounds like the dealer did a decent job for you and IMO the price isn't really that outrageous considering effort expended and value to you.

I'm trying to visualize how "top part of the steering column snaps upward and off, exposing six wires"? Did you observe the tech loosening any screws from back-side of steering wheel to free the airbag?

I've always been reluctant to do any effort in close proximity to any airbags.

I guess I'm just a natural-born scaredy-cat.
He's probably talking about the plastic cover that snaps together. You just pull on it and it falls apart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
Treeman

XRL is spot on,
It's just a flimsy piece of plastic on top of the steering column between the steering wheel and the dash gauges.
I was looking for a screw as well, but he unsnapped it in front of me.
Best,
Treeman

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
XRL is spot on,
It's just a flimsy piece of plastic on top of the steering column between the steering wheel and the dash gauges.
I was looking for a screw as well, but he unsnapped it in front of me.
Best,
Treeman
Oh yeah, I've been in there when I changed the ignition switch. I believe I got all that back together without breaking anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Some people call the horn, the "Devil's Instrument"...

I hardly use the wimpy OEM unit. I saw a loud 5 horn train horn on JC Whitney, but I don't want to spend $250 on one...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
g1g4byt3
g1g4byt3 is on a distinguished road

i'm having the same "horn stuck" issue on my 02 vue 4 cyl manual....so...if i disconnect the black wire in the steering column from the existing switch i can bypass the factory horn switch location??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to g1g4byt3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help g1g4byt3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
g1g4byt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
Gheuett
Gheuett has a spectacular aura aboutGheuett has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Hi All,

I join the many of you in the stuck horn club and I was so glad to see others had posted great details and analysis of this issue. I've attached a pic looking down on steering column with the top cover removed. In that center wiring harness there is a black/white (3rd from the left) and black (4th from the left). Are y'all saying clip those and attach your horn switch to those wires for the bypass?

Thanks!!
Gib
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stuck Horn Issue.JPG (116.5 KB, 239 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gheuett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gheuett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gheuett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #17
Gheuett
Gheuett has a spectacular aura aboutGheuett has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

After re-reading the posts, would it be correct to

- clip the black wire
- connect the instrument side of the black wire to one post of the new switch
- connect the other side of the switch to a new ground
- tape off the steering wheel side of the other end of the black wire

That work?

Thanks!
Gib

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gheuett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gheuett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gheuett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
bgurrber
bgurrber is on a distinguished road

if you cut the black wire from the steering column and re route it to the new switch will you also get the car locator feature back when pressing remote or is there another wire that has to be spliced too???

gurrber

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgurrber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgurrber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgurrber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #19
bgurrber
bgurrber is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: How to jury rig a horn switch?

also do you use a rocker switch or a push button not sure if horn stays on hence the rocker to keep off then toggle to activate thanks for any help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgurrber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgurrber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgurrber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
pecze
pecze is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Gheuett, have you done this?

I looked at my 03 vue and I see the same wires as you. However, I clipped the black wire, and that wasn't the horn. It was the cruise control.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pecze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pecze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pecze is offline   Reply With Quote