SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
jasonl
jasonl is on a distinguished road

Default P0300 Random mis-fire

I have a 2005 Ion-2 5 speed. I posted a while back about it surging when under load around 1800-2200 rpm. I bought the car with 29,000 out of time on the warranty. At about 34,000 the check engine light came on and the code was P0300 random cyl mis-fire. I can not even notice the mis-fire other than the previously mentioned surging under load. My fuel mileage is avg 33mpg and it has never gotten worse so I just ignored it. I am now at 54,000 miles and the other day my light came on again with the same code. Still have the surge, but no other symptoms and fuel mileage has stayed the same other than the little bit I lost with snow tires. Any suggestions or any thing common that cause this code with my symptoms?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jasonl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jasonl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jasonl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: P0300 Random mis-fire

you ignored misfiring for 20K miles? junk the car and buy a new one, the repairs you should do will not be worth it.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Take it to the dealer, they can hookup the tech 2 and see what cylinder is misfiring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

Its common for the coil or module to fail and cause missfires. I actually just fixed one today with that problem. It was the coil.

***Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ. Specializing in Saturn repairs.

94 SW2- custom intake and ported throttle body
2003 Saturn Vue 3.0 v6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
jasonl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
you ignored misfiring for 20K miles? junk the car and buy a new one, the repairs you should do will not be worth it.
No, I ignored a check engine light that came on once since the 20K miles I reset it last time. As I mentioned there is no noticeable misfire just the surge at 1,800-2,200 rpm. It is more of an annoyance than a problem and as mentioned fuel mileage is still good, matter of fact I constantly get above EPA estimates. Now you are advising me to junk the car? Are you serious? I really hope not because it would be a shame for somebody who didn't know better to take foolish advice from people like you. It took 20K for the light to come back on. I do not have a dead cylinder, but apparently there is a hiccup that the ECM picked up as a random misfire or the surging that may not even be related to the ignition system could be causing it to set the light. 20k ago I hoped it would get worse so I could narrow it down to a cylinder or maybe even get a P030_ to indicate a certain cylinder, but that hasn't happened.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jasonl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

A tech 2 will show live misfire data and is probably the route you should take. Otherwise, it's kind of a part swap process. Might be bad plug, partially plugged injector, icm failing,etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
jasonl

Yeah I used to work as a ford tech and we had a scan tool that showed live data so I do understand what you are saying. I guess I posted hoping there was a ECM re flash or a TSB for this particular code. Thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl View Post
No, I ignored a check engine light that came on once since the 20K miles I reset it last time. As I mentioned there is no noticeable misfire just the surge at 1,800-2,200 rpm. It is more of an annoyance than a problem and as mentioned fuel mileage is still good, matter of fact I constantly get above EPA estimates. Now you are advising me to junk the car? Are you serious? I really hope not because it would be a shame for somebody who didn't know better to take foolish advice from people like you. It took 20K for the light to come back on. I do not have a dead cylinder, but apparently there is a hiccup that the ECM picked up as a random misfire or the surging that may not even be related to the ignition system could be causing it to set the light. 20k ago I hoped it would get worse so I could narrow it down to a cylinder or maybe even get a P030_ to indicate a certain cylinder, but that hasn't happened.
I thought the light was on and off for 20K miles, I would still be concerned about the health of the engine, but not as much as I thought. you really do need to get this figured out ASAP for the good of the engine, the studdering is a sign of bad things happening, probably a misfire or it trying not to misfire by retarding the output of the engine. the coils and ICM are the common causes.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote