SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Heater hose replacements

While I change my thermostat I thought I'd go ahead and change out all the hoses. I noticed that the hose that run to the tank and one of the hoses coming out of the core have pressed fittings to a pipe. Rockauto sells replacement hoses but I'm not sure how they interface with the pipe. Do you cut the old hose out of the pipe and run the new hose over the old fitting?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Heater hose replacements

No. Those are crimp fittings and you carefully cut them on the pipe axis and peel them off. There is minimal reason to change those hoses until you pull the engine for overhaul anyway. If you do change those hoses you should use this type of hose clamp(link below) and you need 2 different sizes. The worm gear type will eventually leak.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hose-and-tube-clamps/=5mzbhp
The type to use is the wide band spring clamp as it will maintain tension over a wide temperature range and compensate for the slowly decreasing diameter of the hose due to age.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
No. Those are crimp fittings and you carefully cut them on the pipe axis and peel them off. There is minimal reason to change those hoses until you pull the engine for overhaul anyway. If you do change those hoses you should use this type of hose clamp(link below) and you need 2 different sizes. The worm gear type will eventually leak.

The type to use is the wide band spring clamp as it will maintain tension over a wide temperature range and compensate for the slowly decreasing diameter of the hose due to age.
So you don't believe that its likely one of these hoses could fail before the an engine overhaul? I know it used to be common for people to get stuck somewhere after a heater hose blew because they were always forgotten. Perhaps the rubber is better today?? Anyway of the following hoses...

1) Upper rad
2) Lower rad
3) Pump to heater pipe
4) Pipe to tank
5) Pipe to core
6) core to manifold

What would you recommend the maintenance interval to be on each?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Number 1 and 2 should be replaced when the radiator is replaced or 10->12.5 years.

You can replace number 6 relatively easily and I would change it out at the 10->12.5 year interval.

There are not many hose failures on Saturn cars. The radiator fails more often than a hose.

The remainder that are all part of the aluminum pipe I would replace at an overhaul or at a longer interval if no overhaul is planned, something approaching 20 years. You can spot hose degradation by inspecting the end of the hose. It will be swelled up slightly. For the hoses that are clamped by the crimped ferules the hose will swell just past the ferules and be soft when compared to the hose further away from the connection.

Heater hose failure is usually the result of pressurizing the cooling system. If you maintain the correct coolant concentration the Saturn cooling system only pressurizes due to thermal expansion and that results in about 1 psi. The older Fords and Chevy V-8 engines pressurized to 5 to 10 psi routinely. The smaller diameter of the hose the higher the pressure to cause failure. Older design heater hose took this into consideration and lowered the reinforcing in the hose to save cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
janajoy
janajoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Number 1 and 2 should be replaced when the radiator is replaced or 10->12.5 years.

You can replace number 6 relatively easily and I would change it out at the 10->12.5 year interval.

There are not many hose failures on Saturn cars. The radiator fails more often than a hose.

The remainder that are all part of the aluminum pipe I would replace at an overhaul or at a longer interval if no overhaul is planned, something approaching 20 years. You can spot hose degradation by inspecting the end of the hose. It will be swelled up slightly. For the hoses that are clamped by the crimped ferules the hose will swell just past the ferules and be soft when compared to the hose further away from the connection.

Heater hose failure is usually the result of pressurizing the cooling system. If you maintain the correct coolant concentration the Saturn cooling system only pressurizes due to thermal expansion and that results in about 1 psi. The older Fords and Chevy V-8 engines pressurized to 5 to 10 psi routinely. The smaller diameter of the hose the higher the pressure to cause failure. Older design heater hose took this into consideration and lowered the reinforcing in the hose to save cost.
Hi there mate, i have encountered heater hose problem a couple of days ago. I guess i will take this advice, Thanks for this one. hope to hear more from you mate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to janajoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help janajoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
janajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you ever had oil in the cooling system it is hard on the hoses. That usually means you have to replace all of them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:

you mean those type of tension clamps are actually better than gpod corrosion proof stainless steel worm drive clamps? is it because they loosten & seep once in a while? my radiator has those type of clamps though from the factory.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:

the hoses on my 2001 sc2 are all original & look like new. i guess the rubber nowdays is if fact better than old....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It works best to replace the radiator hoses when the radiator cracks. I think the automatic style cracks sooner than the manual model.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
wyw
wyw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
So you don't believe that its likely one of these hoses could fail before the an engine overhaul? I know it used to be common for people to get stuck somewhere after a heater hose blew because they were always forgotten. Perhaps the rubber is better today?? Anyway of the following hoses...

1) Upper rad
2) Lower rad
3) Pump to heater pipe
4) Pipe to tank
5) Pipe to core
6) core to manifold

What would you recommend the maintenance interval to be on each?

-Robert
Great thread it helped alot. My mechanic says that these hoses need replacing, my car is 2001 and they do feel soft, I'm in hot Florida and I would rather they NOT fail.

I have been flabbergasted by the assembly until I found a parts diagram online. So from this thread I can see I have to buy a whole bunch (ok 3) hoses and 6 clamps I believe to cover everything from the recovery tank and the 2 hoses that are attached to the pipe.

My question is, does the aluminum pipe itself ever fail? I see molded rubber hoses online that match the shape, but nothing addresses that T that goes to the recovery tank. Can someone input on the pipe itself, its actual part name? If it did need replacing at some point, whats the deal with the T? Is it a separate fitting now? Confused. How would they all attach if that pipe is now only replaceable by a rubber hose?

Thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wyw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wyw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Those hoses are soft by design. They should last much longer than 12 years. The only 2 that should be replaced are the manifold to heater and pipe to block by the reservoir. Spring clamps should also be used and not those gear clamps. The small hose from the manifold to the reservoir should also be replaced.

I would be much more concerned with plastic manifold water outlet failure than those small bore hoses and the aluminum pipe will not fail as long as you maintain fresh correct antifreeze concentration. The heater core does not drain so dumping in 50% premix will not get you to the 50% minimum either.

The pipe is a dealer only part and includes every hose attached to it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!