SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
saturnsduke
saturnsduke is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Saturn fuel shut-off, security system?

I have a 2001 Saturn sedan that cranks but won't start, it seems to me the fuel is shut-off by the security system maybe. My kid moved my car and can't get it started since he was in there.

So now, how do I reset the thing to get the fuel back on? Please help, very frustrated. susanjduke yahoo com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsduke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsduke is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Mgg4591
Mgg4591 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: Saturn fuel shut-off, security system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsduke View Post
I have a 2001 Saturn sedan that cranks but won't start, it seems to me the fuel is shut-off by the security system maybe. My kid moved my car and can't get it started since he was in there.

So now, how do I reset the thing to get the fuel back on? Please help, very frustrated. susanjduke yahoo com
Did you check the fuel pump fuse?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mgg4591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mgg4591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mgg4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
saturnsduke

Nope, where is it. I do not have the owner's manual for this car. Also, I'm new here. Can somebody tell me the link to the how-to tips library on here?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Mgg4591
Mgg4591 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsduke View Post
Nope, where is it. I do not have the owner's manual for this car. Also, I'm new here. Can somebody tell me the link to the how-to tips library on here?
What model is it? On the s-series the fuel pump fuse is located in the car on bottom right side of the center console. You have to pop off the plastic access panel. See the pic below. Its the little red one under the gray relay. Its circled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mgg4591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mgg4591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mgg4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
saturnsduke

You are awesome! Thank you, I will check that fuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE

Is the security light on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
saturnsduke

Yes it is on at times. But sometimes it goes off. Car cranks fine, just no fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE

Can you hear the fuel pump running when you first turn the key on? Normally, if it's a security issue, the engine will start and run for a second or so, but the fuel pump will still run. Security issues don't shut off the fuel pump but it will shut down the injectors after detecting a problem. Which model are we talking about?

Last edited by hoseppi; 02-02-2010 at 12:37 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Was the car doing anything else strange before (Like alarm going off for no reason, gages not working for a few seconds).? If so your BCM could have failed and done so when the alarm was on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Get your key replaced. That pretty much took care of that issue for me. You will still have to go through the reset procedure though.
Quote:
If the security light is on continuously, you can try to do a passlock relearn. What you will need to do is momentarily turn the key to the start position and release it. Leave the key in the on position for 10 minutes, the security light should go out at this time. Then turn the key off for 10 seconds. Repeat this 2 more times for a total of 3 times. If there are no other passlock problems, the vehicle should crank and run.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...#ixzz0eWIihA51

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
hummrH2o
hummrH2o is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL

Any more on this would be great I am having the exact same problem with my 2002 l300. It will turn over but it will not start. I was thinking fuel pump. Checked the fuses, that didnt help. Also Im thinking maybe the crankshaft position sensor. Any more help would be great!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hummrH2o's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hummrH2o reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hummrH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
Siestabob
Siestabob is on a distinguished road

This seems to be a standard problem. I have a 2000 Saturn l series and I have to do the 10 min wait while I leave the key in the run position and the security light is on. Usually starts after 10 mins. There has to be a solution. There is no reason why it happens that I can find. It's random.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Siestabob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Siestabob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Siestabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Siestabob, are there any aftermarket alarm systems or remote start? Tried the spare key?

Your Passlock anti-theft sensor unit is part of the ignition switch assembly that detects theft attempts. Sometimes a worn key may trigger a false security alarm.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #14
IONicSaturn
Advanced Member
IONicSaturn is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

This sounds like the exact same thing that had been happening to my 2005 L300 a few months back. The engine would crank, but wouldn't turn over. I took it to my local dealer and they first diagnosed it as a bad ignition switch, replaced that and it continued to crank but not start. Brought it back in the same day and they said it was the Body Control Module. Got the car back two days later and it STILL would crank but not start, this time they said it was a Powertrain Control Module. I declined that repair and one evening over that weekend I tried starting the car and it wouldn't even crank. After the third attempt, the dash lights and ignition chimes started going on and off furiously while I tried starting the car. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and the car started up fine. I brought it to another dealer, one that I have a LOT more confidence in, and they said to use another key because the key I was using was so worn that it wasn't making enough contact in the ignition and it was triggering a "theft code." Sure enough, ever since then (knock on wood), it's been fine.

Mike

2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
2005 Saturn L300
1999 Dodge Durango SLT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IONicSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IONicSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IONicSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
kari1232
kari1232 is on a distinguished road

It was the key!!!
Thank you to the person that posted they had everything changed and come to find out it was the key. I had 3 machanics look at my car (1 from the dealership) and one I asked about the key (not the dealership) and he said the key did not look warn but I could try getting a new key using the vin number at the dealership. If you are having this trouble start with the key!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kari1232's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kari1232 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kari1232 is offline   Reply With Quote