SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
thewolf
thewolf is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE
Default Goodbye Aura XR, Hello Malibu LTZ

My lease was up on my '07 Aura XR and I have replaced it with a '10 Malibu LTZ.

I've enjoyed my time with my Aura and with this forum, very sad to see Saturn going out of business.

I'll still check this site out, but I am no longer a proud owner of an awesome car. The Malibu is a very nice driving car, I'm very surprised at how quiet and composed it is. I didn't think it would be such a change since both cars are almost the same. I really love my Malibu, but it doesn't have the fun factor that I found with my Saturn. Of course, I've only had the car since Wednesday so it is still so new to me. I'm sure there will be many folks dropping out on this site, again, very sad.

Live and learn...........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thewolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thewolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Goodbye Aura XR, Hello Malibu LTZ

Congrats! Please let us know about the pros and cons of the Malibu vs the Aura.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

The LTZ is about as close to your old XR as one can get. The dash is a bit different and some prefer the Malibu's curved dash more. One thing that confused me was the lack of availability of OnStar on all Malibu models across the board though.

marx404
Saturn lives.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

nice trade. i could end up in the same car. 3 years worth of improvement since 2007 car which i think is great so a 2010 can only be nicer. hope you enjoy it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
thewolf

2007 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
The LTZ is about as close to your old XR as one can get. The dash is a bit different and some prefer the Malibu's curved dash more. One thing that confused me was the lack of availability of OnStar on all Malibu models across the board though.

I'm confused as to what you are saying regarding on-star. On-star is standard in every Malibu model, from the base LS, to the LTZ.

I actually like the dash in the Malibu more than the Aura. The interior is very upscale and classy for a Chevrolet. It is much more than I expected, and that is a very good thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help thewolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
thewolf

2007 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
nice trade. i could end up in the same car. 3 years worth of improvement since 2007 car which i think is great so a 2010 can only be nicer. hope you enjoy it.

Thanks. I'm very happy with it. Once it warms up a bit outside, I'll have to get some pictures. It just sucks that we will never see the second generation Aura, what a car it could have been..................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

onstar is standard. i posted somewhere else but a friend in an 08 aura was run off the road the other night at 70mph. the police said she flipped 8 times and ended up 250 ft from the road upside down. not only did she not die she was able to walk out of the car with only bruises. not a piece of the car left intact very safe car. only strange thing is that onstar did not come to her help. im trying to figure out why.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

I think the reason you find the Malibu to be smoother and more composed is that your 08 XR has a sport suspension, using monotube shocks.

Your profile says you have an XE too which should have a ride similar to the Malibu since they both use twin tube shocks part of the regular suspension.

I'd expect your XR handled better and your XE and Malibu should ride similar, although age does impact how cars ride... as shocks, mounts, tires, etc wear down the ride can lose some composure. Your LTZ has 18" wheels though, which should actually cause a slightly stiffer ride than your Aura XE w/ 17s. I test drove an LTZ and could tell it rode a tad stiffer than my Aura XR (which is a 4-cyl so it has the regular suspension, not sport) but overall I preferred the LTZ's interior and I like the fact that you can get automatic climate control with the 4-cyl (not available on the Aura XR-4).

As far as quietness I think the Aura and Malibu have basically identical sound absorption pieces in place so they should be almost identical. Again it might be due to general wear and tear on the vehicle... tires make more noise as the tread wears down and your Aura might have had some seals no longer functioning at 100%, allowing more wind noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
onstar is standard. i posted somewhere else but a friend in an 08 aura was run off the road the other night at 70mph. the police said she flipped 8 times and ended up 250 ft from the road upside down. not only did she not die she was able to walk out of the car with only bruises. not a piece of the car left intact very safe car. only strange thing is that onstar did not come to her help. im trying to figure out why.
Did she have an active subscription? I think if you aren't paying for it after the first year it will no longer activate in a wreck. You have to get the 'safe and sound' package.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

yes she did have an active subsciption. aura has advanced crash notification for crashes which alerts onstar with sensors in the car even if airbags dont go off. none of the six bags went off. probably because she must not have hit any one thing hard enough. if you saw the car you would not believe it. it looks equally as bad as a nascar that just flipped down the track. nothing left. even a tree pierced thru the car. i have sent the pictures to our onstar rep and waiting to see what he says. one theory, which i dont know if i believe or not, is that all of the onstar got taken out to soon in the accident because the roof is so badly mangled up. car still had power even when done. wish i could post picture but saturnnfans says its to big a file. ill bet youve never seen a car so mangles on the street that someone walked out of.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i was able to get a picture posted under just realized i like the malibus console better than auras thread

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #12
Gibbles
Gibbles is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

I had an 09 malibu while my blazer was in the body shop after the breakin, it was nice, black suede leather heated seats, nice soft leather steering wheel (blazer has leather wheel but it's not suede) the lay out was the same as my wifes Aura, so it was an easy two weeks.
Only thing I did not like was the 4 banger, kinda weak... and the mileage was not much better than my wifes 3.5 v6.

I told my wife if I ever see a malibu with the same interior in the junk yard I'll swap it out for her.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gibbles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gibbles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
lt1george
lt1george is on a distinguished road

Good Luck with your new Malibu. Also sorry to see Saturn go.Glad you decided to stay with GM. Bought our Aura at West Herr Saturn. Taking our 09 Saturn to Chevrolet dealer here in Rochester for service. The Chevrolet dealer is treating us very well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lt1george's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lt1george reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lt1george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Congratulations on your new Malibu. It's too bad that your Aura had to go.

Hope you enjoy your new ride.

What color is it?

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
thewolf

2007 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE

She is silver. I loaded this one up with the sunroof and leather.

I'll miss my Aura XR, it was a very nice car. Too bad Saturn is dead, I always wonder what the next generation Aura would have looked like. buick will have it now in the regal, maybe I'll have to get a Buick next!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #16
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the new Malibu thewolf - what color combo did you get?

You mentioned it doesn't have "the fun factor" of the Aura. How different is it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote