SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
dcc81187
dcc81187 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1996 SC1
Default Egr ?

Ok so i unplugged my egr valve on my 99sc2 and gained 8mpg. I'm guessing this means the valve is bad. Is there any way to confirm this and is there anywhere I can get a new one for under $70? Also what is the best way to clean carbon out of the intake and egr passages other than taking off the intake, which I am planning on doing once it warms up a bit. Thanks for reading.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcc81187's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcc81187 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcc81187 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Egr ?

First try cleaning it out. Use Advanced search on the search drop down and limit the search to S-Series forums and How-To Library. Then search terms are clean EGR. You clean the EGR with carb cleaner.

A 95-99 EGR from the pick and pull is the lowest cost and will most likely be OEM and will work, if clean.

To clean out teh exhaust side of the EGR tracks just warm up the car and then take off the EGR and restart it. Th engine will rev up to 4000 rpm and blow the carbon out of the exhaust side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Mgg4591
Mgg4591 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I removed the plug from my egr as well and the car seems alot quicker when accelerating up hills. I removed the egr and cleaned it with carb cleaner, but it wasn't really dirty. I also noticed that it seems my fuel mileage has increased, even though its too early to tell, just going by the gauge.(i know thats no the right way!)

I removed it when the gauge was right between half and 75% full and its still about there. I drove 101 miles and still in that spot. So it seems it did help. The only way to test would be to calculate when i re-fill with the connector removed. So how can this be? The valve is not dirty, or stuck open. The car seems to accelerate up hills easier now with the connector disconnected, and it seems my mileage is getting better. Now there is a SES light, but thats because the connector is removed, it goes away once reconnected.

One last question about the EGR. Will an EGR from a 1996 Pontiac Bonneville V6 3.8 fit my 1999 SL2? I looked online and they look virtually the same. My uncle has one from his old bonneville,(totaled when he hit a deer ) that he replaced because it was stuck open. He cleaned it but ended up buying a new one anyway just to be safe. So will it fit? I'm going down to get it tomorrow to see if it even fits, and makes the car run better with it plugged in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mgg4591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mgg4591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mgg4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
dcc81187
dcc81187 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1996 SC1

what monitors egr flow on our cars? I unplugged the new egr and plugged in the old one and set it on top of the trans so the ses light would not come on but it did and threw a insufficient egr flow code but it took a while for it to throw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcc81187's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcc81187 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcc81187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

EGR flow is monitored by the PCM. When cruising at a constant speed the PCM will open the EGR and monitor for the drop in MAP reading. If it does not see that drop you get the Insufficient Flow DTC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote