SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
hein
Advanced Member
hein is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1998 SW2
Default Whining Center Support Bearing - Time for replacement

Over a year ago the center support bearing in my 06 RL Vue AWD started whining. I believe that I was able to quiet it down by injecting grease into it. But it has continued to whine from time to time so I'm almost convinced there is something else going on. I've got the kit which includes the bearing and new u-joints and I am preparing to install it.

I've noticed that the clearance between the drive shaft and the bearing housing is quite small. (picture below) I've always thought maybe a pebble could get stuck in there and make the sound we hear. (Right now there is plenty of grease for a pebble to get stuck in but it has been much cleaner and still whined) It's intermittent and seems to crop up more when we drive on sand covered roads in winter. Just a thought.

I am going ahead with replacing the bearing and might fabricate a shield to go around that area of the drive shaft. It seems positioned in a place where it could catch a lot of splash & debris from the front tires. The instructions that come with the kit (#12574208) are quite limited and don't include torque specs for fasteners. It does say to mark the 2 propeller shafts to keep them in phase/balanced. New part below. Is it just me or does that look a lot like a funnel to lead crap into the bearing seal. And there are some slots in the rubber on the back side that look like a good place for a pebble to get suck.

If someone could post up more detailed information about the removing/installing the drive shaft including torques specs that would be wonderful.

Last edited by hein; 01-26-2010 at 06:18 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Whining Center Support Bearing - Time for replacement

hein ... I have prop shaft replacement files for my 05 Vue ... I can email if you want to look them over. I have your email address from Oct 2009 - let me know if its still valid - and you want me to send.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
newbievueowner
Advanced Member
newbievueowner is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

I can tell you that if you live in an area where they throw a lot of salt down on the roads in the winter, the drive shaft will be a bear to get apart.

Don't grab the yoke ears with any puller as you could potentially distort/bend them. You will need a hydraulic beam press and proper support under the bearing to get the old one off.

I did mine in the fall and it was fun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
hein ... I have prop shaft replacement files for my 05 Vue ... I can email if you want to look them over. I have your email address from Oct 2009 - let me know if its still valid - and you want me to send.
Thanks, email has not changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbievueowner View Post
I can tell you that if you live in an area where they throw a lot of salt down on the roads in the winter, the drive shaft will be a bear to get apart.
Oregon doesn't use salt but I drove it to the South Texas Coast once. That's when it started whining. I soaked it with PB blaster. Hope it comes apart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
vhayduk
vhayduk is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

I just did this job a month ago; it was a fun one.

The 10 ton press wasn't enough; I had to use the 50 ton + heat The torch caught the remainder of the rubber isolator on fire... such a lovely smell!

My problem wasn't getting the bearing out, it was getting the yoke off the splined portion of the drive shaft. Once the yoke was off, the bearing was a joke.

Vince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vhayduk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vhayduk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vhayduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhayduk View Post
I just did this job a month ago; it was a fun one.

The 10 ton press wasn't enough; I had to use the 50 ton + heat The torch caught the remainder of the rubber isolator on fire... such a lovely smell!

My problem wasn't getting the bearing out, it was getting the yoke off the splined portion of the drive shaft. Once the yoke was off, the bearing was a joke.

Vince
Yes the yoke was the fun part to remove and the burning rubber reminded me of the race track
Hein biggest factor here, remember to scribe a line on all parts that will be separated, rear rdm yoke to prop shaft yoke, front ptu flange to ptu (power take-off unit), and prop shafts before separating and make sure the lines do not get removed while doing repairs
GooD LucK

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someclown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Easy part is done: Drive shaft is out, U-joint out, yoke clip out. Everything marked to maintain balance. Heated the yoke and sprayed it again with the PB. Now I'm off to my wife's workplace to use their press. She works in the office at the COOP and they have a tractor service dept.

I'm going to do the other U-joint (RDM end) also. It's due.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear_drive_shaft.jpg (32.1 KB, 79 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Old 01-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
Someclown

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
Easy part is done: Drive shaft is out, U-joint out, yoke clip out. Everything marked to maintain balance. Heated the yoke and sprayed it again with the PB. Now I'm off to my wife's workplace to use their press. She works in the office at the COOP and they have a tractor service dept.

I'm going to do the other U-joint (RDM end) also. It's due.
For the price what the hey your right there anyway if you don't do it now it will probably go not long after.Tractor service dept. should be able to press that yoke off without issues there!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

I've been shopping for a rear u-joint. Rock Auto shows PRECISION Part # 409 which has a grease fitting. (see picture) The OEM U-joint supplied with my support bearing kit does not have a grease fitting. So I am ordering two. My local NAPA quoted $60 ea plus freight from Sacramento. The other local parts house that carries PRECISION could not get it from their warehouse. I could go to the Chevy dealer nearby but I'd rather have the one with a grease zerk. Can someone check if ACDELCO Part # 45U0188 {#19161810} has a grease zerk? No picture of it at Rock Auto.

Last edited by hein; 01-28-2010 at 06:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
newbievueowner
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhayduk View Post

Vince
That's what I meant. The Yoke. Getting the bearing off is not too difficult.

I actually had to CUT my bearing off with a grinder and a cut off disk. This was to gain access to the yoke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
newbievueowner
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
I've been shopping for a rear u-joint. Rock Auto shows PRECISION Part # 409 which has a grease fitting. (see picture) The OEM U-joint supplied with my support bearing kit does not have a grease fitting. So I am ordering two. My local NAPA quoted $60 ea plus freight from Sacramento. The other local parts house that carries PRECISION could not get it from their warehouse. I could go to the Chevy dealer nearby but I'd rather have the one with a grease zerk. Can someone check if ACDELCO Part # 45U0188 {#19161810} has a grease zerk? No picture of it at Rock Auto.
Honestly, I would not worry about the grease fitting. I have the #409 and pumped some grease in it but now am regretting that as when it's really cold out it seems to throw the drive shaft out of balance (ie: vibrates until it warms up a little). This is just a guess but it does not do this when the temps are 30*F or warmer. I'm going to change it out with another new one in the near future and see if it goes away or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

They are already on the way from RockAuto. Certainly a little grease can't throw the drive shaft out of balance. Can it? -Unless it is moving the cross off center. Did you do the Center Support Bearing? Which clips did you use? Yellow or black?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
newbievueowner
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

Yes, I had made my own center support bearing and installed it after mine failed (ie: fell apart). The OEM ones are design flawed as far as I'm concerned.

The Precision U-joints only come with 1 set of clips, so there is no choice. The u-joints are tight though.

One thing you will need to do is finish pressing in the rubber seals in the caps. You will see when you get the parts. Federal Mogul should be ashamed of themselves as far as I'm concerned!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #14
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Yes, I had made my own center support bearing and installed it after mine failed (ie: fell apart). The OEM ones are design flawed as far as I'm concerned.
Agree. The thing looks flimsy. Can you show me what you made? The u-joints won't be here until next week so I have some time to do some design/machining work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
newbievueowner
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

Not really, sorry, as it's on the vehicle now and it's 0*F outside.

I thought you bought the OEM mount kit already?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #16
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

No problem. I am curious how you allowed for flex as the drive shaft swings up and down with the rear suspension. I'll probably just install the OEM bearing and hope it lasts. I didn't make it to the press yet but took some time to trim away most of the rubber so I can get a split plate around it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg center_support_brg_trimmed.jpg (33.1 KB, 74 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
Someclown

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Honestly, I would not worry about the grease fitting. I have the #409 and pumped some grease in it but now am regretting that as when it's really cold out it seems to throw the drive shaft out of balance (ie: vibrates until it warms up a little). This is just a guess but it does not do this when the temps are 30*F or warmer. I'm going to change it out with another new one in the near future and see if it goes away or not.
I had to leave the zerk out of my u-joint as it was going to hit the joint as it rotated and flexed with the rear suspension. I installed it,
greased it, removed zerk and cleaned and put silicone in the zerk hole not much choice and hope it holds till spring when I will remove the shaft again for the summer anyway.
Those OEM supports are really cheesy I think they made them with recycled tire tubes I always wondered were those tubes went from all those blasting matts they make LOL, with my made support I can at least take out just the bearing and replace or grease it when necessary without damaging the rubber bearing mount.
Make sure to put some good never seize on the shaft before you install the bearing and yoke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #18
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someclown View Post
I had to leave the zerk out of my u-joint as it was going to hit the joint as it rotated and flexed with the rear suspension. I installed it,
greased it, removed zerk and cleaned and put silicone in the zerk hole not much choice and hope it holds till spring when I will remove the shaft again for the summer anyway.
Those OEM supports are really cheesy I think they made them with recycled tire tubes I always wondered were those tubes went from all those blasting matts they make LOL, with my made support I can at least take out just the bearing and replace or grease it when necessary without damaging the rubber bearing mount.
Make sure to put some good never seize on the shaft before you install the bearing and yoke.
Interesting. Any chance a smaller zerk would help? Does your mileage improve with the prop shaft removed? I was going to drive another vehicle on a short trip I have planned for this weekend. Maybe I'll just leave the drive shaft out and see for myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Old 01-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #19
Someclown

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Interesting. Any chance a smaller zerk would help? Does your mileage improve with the prop shaft removed? I was going to drive another vehicle on a short trip I have planned for this weekend. Maybe I'll just leave the drive shaft out and see for myself.
I do all I can to keep the gas mileage up but don't keep track, I just fill the tank, I think Mrs.Clown said about 500 or 600 kms/tank but not sure which vehicle she was talking about as she drives an olds also, I will have to start keeping track.If it saves you gas its probably not much but saves some fatigue on the scrap metal they call a prop shaft and some wear and tear on the u-joints, and support bearing and I don't need AWD in the summer I have a 4x4 for that.
If you leave the shaft off just put some push plugs in any threaded bolt holes so you dont damage the threads, besides that it perfectly fine to drive like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #20
Someclown

2002 VUE 3.0L

I didn't have any other zerks to try at the time this is why I just siliconed the zerk hole closed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!