SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Qcboy
Qcboy is on a distinguished road

Mad Sl1 2002 - p0341

Hi everyone,

I'm an old reader of all your tricks and ideas but a new writer... So i start at the end of a lot of people regarding this famous P0341. Base on ealier posts this what i changed on my car to fix it:

- I installed new plugs and wires with Dielectric grease
- I installed new coils
- I try an other Ignition Module from J/Y
- I installed new crankshaft sensor
- I cleaned Ignition Module and Transmission (manual) where Ignition Module is install
- I cleaned the parts use to fix the Ignition Module
- I check the continuity of the wire of circuit 633 between DIgnition Module and PCM

When i clean the P0341 with the car cold, i start it and the motor (car)running fine until i put it off. When i start it again, motor hot, i feel something like a missfire at idle or simply bad idle and the code P0341 comes. The car run fine but on idle, in an intermittent way, the idle move between 500rpm and 1000rpm, looks like missfire or no fuel, i really don't know. If the code was cleared, he comes again if the car is hot or just stay there if he was not cleared before...

Any ideas...

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qcboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qcboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Qcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Sl1 2002 - p0341

Failing injector, fuel pressure - pump or filter/regulator, sticking intake valve. You can check for sticky valve with an old fashioned vacuum gauge or a scanner that reads real time data, look at the ignition timing while its running.

What brand of plugs did you use? How much grease did you use?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
danger09
danger09 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

What exactly are the symptoms of a sticky intake valve and how does one become sticky? Is it stuck open or closed? How do you tell if this is the problem?

I had the same code and scanner live data showed the timing jumping all over the place. new plugs and wires and coil tested ok for continuity. Only my car is twin cam not single
thanks for the input in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danger09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danger09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danger09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Qcboy

Have you checked for a leaking intake manifold gasket? A spray of brake clean or intake cleaner along the intake to head gasket area. A change in the idle indicates a vacuum leak.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger09 View Post
What exactly are the symptoms of a sticky intake valve and how does one become sticky? Is it stuck open or closed? How do you tell if this is the problem?

I had the same code and scanner live data showed the timing jumping all over the place. new plugs and wires and coil tested ok for continuity. Only my car is twin cam not single
thanks for the input in advance
The intake valve(s) become slow to close under spring pressure at Idle. Makes for a very uneven idle and manifold vacuum jumps all over. This happens due to gunk buildup on the stem. The first thing to do is run a compression test as uneven compression or low compression will cause this problem. Then if the compression is at least even across all 4 cylinders you can hook up a vacuum gauge and just watch the needle. It will dip towards zero every time the valve slow closes. You see it on the gauge and hear it in the idle. A well worn engine will have the timing incorrect because of the stretched chain and this wil have an effect also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Qcboy

Hi everyone,

OldNuc i use Champion Plugs and follow the Permatex Dielectric grease for the amount of grease (so a bit inside the ends of each wire). I will work on the car today and first look for vacuum leak at intake manifold following the suggest of ssicarman but anyway, i feel i will have to look at the valve cover gasket too so Oldnuc, to clean the valves do i have to pull out the head or if i can leave it in place. Following my Haynes book i can going to the valve stick with the head in place but is this enought?

Thanks for your help fellows

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Qcboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I would not get too involved with the valves. Are you using a platinum type plug by any chance? The plugs that function the best are the NGK BKR4ESA-11 plugs. Other brands and types are known to cause the problems you are experiencing.

Carefully check for a vacuum leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Qcboy

Happy Re: Sl1 2002 - p0341

I finally solved my problem!

Thank fellows to directed me towards leak at the intake. Indeed, my gasket was torn all around the second cylinder but I was not at the end of my sorrows… the ignition module which I had taken at the J/Y was not good, not more than the two others that they provided me while suggesting looking elsewhere! This what I did during a few long evenings of fire tests and PCM signal scope evaluation with the result of finally believe in my troubleshooting observations and install the coil pack of a car friend and the engine east started to hum! I order my NEW ignition module tomorrow!

It was my first J/Y nightmare but i will remember it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcboy View Post
I finally solved my problem!

Thank fellows to directed me towards leak at the intake. Indeed, my gasket was torn all around the second cylinder but I was not at the end of my sorrows… the ignition module which I had taken at the J/Y was not good, not more than the two others that they provided me while suggesting looking elsewhere! This what I did during a few long evenings of fire tests and PCM signal scope evaluation with the result of finally believe in my troubleshooting observations and install the coil pack of a car friend and the engine east started to hum! I order my NEW ignition module tomorrow!

It was my first J/Y nightmare but i will remember it!
Just make sure your new IGN module is not a generic or non-GM part... I went through similar hassles a little while ago, and replacing my aftermarket ICM with a genuine one made it go away all together.

1996 SL2 5MT. 271KMs. Alive!
1997 SL1 5MT. 217KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.
2000 SW2 5MT. 133KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote