SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #21
KJammer
KJammer is on a distinguished road

Default Re: SL2 Water Pump Replacement w/PICS

That was the best! The pictures were clear and to the point. Very, very helpful. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KJammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KJammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KJammer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #22
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJammer View Post
That was the best! The pictures were clear and to the point. Very, very helpful. Thanks.
Great pics, and I especially liked the tip about using the box to keep track of where the bolts go on replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #23
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

So uhhhhh.... why isn't this in the how-to library by now

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #24
Zvolen
Zvolen is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

Great write up, I will be attempting this weekend with hopefully good results.

1998 SL Bought in Nov 06' w/ 115K 22MPG, Currently 165k 30MPG (city)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zvolen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zvolen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zvolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #25
iuam
iuam is on a distinguished road

Nice, will be doing this tomorrow. did you end up replacing the thermostat as well, you got any pics or advise?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to iuam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help iuam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
iuam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #26
ladude
ladude is on a distinguished road

I just did my water pump over the weekend on my '02 SL2. The symptoms were a kind of grindy-groaning sound. A couple weekends before that I changed the belt idler pulley, but that only took care of some of the noise. Now the only noise is the purr...lol

My main advice: get a damn strap wrench set, even if you have to buy one that's made in Chiner! It'll make getting that pulley off alot easier!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ladude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ladude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ladude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #27
cgheming
cgheming is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

I wish I would have had the option of DIY before I was stuck in the MN storm and 400 miles away from home. I got ripped off and I knew it $368.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgheming's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgheming reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgheming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #28
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

watch out for those GMB pumps from AAP. I put the first one on a while back and after 10000 miles the low level light appeared. Tore the splash shield off and found coolant (and dried coolant) right on and below the weep hole. So I replaced it.

Then after I get my third water pump on (2nd GMB) it goes 8500-10000 miles before the light once again appeared. I really dont feel like changing it again since the three pulley bolt got ate up when my water pump let its bearings go while the engine was running and the belt tension helped shear some of the threads.

I guess I can live with adding a pint every 8500 miles, but if it gets too bad I'll have to get under the car once again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjoekingz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #29
litbro
litbro is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Thank you for the info and great picture. I replace my water pump today and because of your post everything went smooth.
Thank you once again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to litbro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help litbro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
litbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #30
lbengr
lbengr is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: SL2 Water Pump Replacement w/PICS

Excellent article, just finished replacing a '97 SL2 Water pump. I used an Autozone water pump, it worked fine, however the sales person claimed I didn't need RTV as the gasket would be good enough --- not so much, leaked before I even started the car. Tore it all down again, RTV'd the track where the gasket lays, added the gasket, reassembled everything and no leaks. Also, the radiator drain plug (plastic) is seized, so I pulled the bottom radiator hose, then the block plug underneath the water pump. I'll need to fix that plastic drain plug someday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lbengr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lbengr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lbengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #31
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

thats crazy. The counter guy at AAP told me no need for RTV when I got my pump. I read the directions and it clearly stated that sealant was required.

Good luck on your seal, I think the orange spaghetti gasket might be best since its what Saturn originally used.

Is the orange gasket supplied and stuck to any new water pumps??? Like maybe the AC Delco unit from rockauto, or maybe only the one from getsaturnparts.com?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjoekingz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #32
Acidrain
Acidrain is on a distinguished road

I want to thank the author of this thread for a very well explained criteria for changing the water-pump, which iam doing this week. Ill update when complete over issues that i may or may not have run into. I had also look at richpin youtube videos before taking on such a task, thank you so much for showing another means of taking off the pulley wheel of the water-pump. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Murf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Acidrain's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Acidrain reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Acidrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 AM   #33
keithreed
keithreed is on a distinguished road

My car's water pump is giving me headache. Please help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keithreed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keithreed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
keithreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #34
Acidrain
Acidrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithreed View Post
My car's water pump is giving me headache. Please help!
What is the problem you are having? Please explain in detail, i realize it might be hard to explain, but please do your best.

Cheers,

A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Acidrain's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Acidrain reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Acidrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #35
boilerroom
boilerroom is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

thanks for the detailed walk through

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boilerroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boilerroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boilerroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #36
MikeD2
MikeD2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
2002 SL2

Thank you for taking the time for the great write up & pictures. You made the job as easy as possible. If I could add 1 thing it would be a link to a Richpin video which really helped get the water pump pulley bolts off. Plus putting them back on was even easier. Thanks again.

Here is the link: you may have to copy & paste. I hope it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRpG1BIVRcc

Last edited by MikeD2; 06-25-2011 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: mistake

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeD2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeD2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #37
katuah
katuah is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

This is a great write-up for those with the "standard" room around the pump. I, however, ran into clearance issues with removing the pulley (99 SL2, not sure why it would have been so different, but it was). If you are one of those unlucky ones, you might want to take a look at this post where OldNuc and others discussed options with me, and I describe what I eventually did to get the thing out (and get more clearance for working in general):

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168796

You can do it! I am in no way an expert mechanic, just persistent. This forum is a huge resource. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to katuah's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help katuah reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
katuah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #38
Sevillian273
Sevillian273 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

(Well I'm glad this thread is still being seen after this long. I figured it would be buried by now... I'm happy so many of you have found it useful)

@katuah (yeah im a little late but..) I used a quarter inch ratchet with a 10mm shallow socket for the water pump. It is indeed tight but not impossible. I have since picked up a set of ratcheting box wrenches which are much much thinner than the ratchet/socket combo.

The ideal setup for removing the water pump pulley is a good quality strap wrench and a 6-point, 10mm ratchet wrench.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sevillian273's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sevillian273 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sevillian273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #39
JuanDavis
JuanDavis is on a distinguished road

This is very helpful..thanks for sharing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JuanDavis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JuanDavis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JuanDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #40
katuah
katuah is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I just noticed Sevillan's follow-up. To be clear, what I encountered had nothing to do with removing the BOLTS from the water pump - Richpin's videos were spot-on as to how to do that quite easily. Where I had problems was with removing the pulley *itself* after the bolts were out. Good luck, everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to katuah's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help katuah reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
katuah is offline   Reply With Quote