SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 01-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
Sevillian273
Sevillian273 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default SL2 Water Pump Replacement w/PICS

2001 SL2 with 89,565

This was an inexpensive fix and fairly easy if you remove the wheel:

Tools:
-Jack
-Jackstand
-Tire iron
-13/16 Socket
-10mm deep
-10mm shallow
-3" extension
-14mm open-end
-Hammer
-Flathead
-Blue RTV

Apply E-brake, block the rear wheels, Raise the front passenger side, and set the framerail on a jackstand like so:

Remove the wheel and 2 inner splash sheilds. (3 plastic rivets)

(^^This pic was shot after completion)

Before removing the belt, crack the water pump pulley bolts loose while the belt tension keeps the pulley from moving. Use the 13/16 to rotate the crankshaft to get to all 3 bolts(10mm). If there's not enough tension on the belt you will need to find a way to hold the pulley such a strap-wrench.

After breaking the bolts loose, use 14mm box wrench to release the tensioner. From the bottom, pull the wrech toward the from of the car. Tensioner shown here:

With the belt removed, take the 3 10mm bolts out to remove the pulley and set it on the frame rail in front of the engine:

^^That's a 89k mile oem stamped steel pump. Nasty.

Time to drain the coolant if you havent already. Place a bucket under the draincock and unscrew. You wont get quite enough out but it helps. Not sure if this model has a block drain.. I forgot to even look for it.

Use a combination of deep 10mm, shallow 10mm, and the 3" extension to remove the water pump bolts. I accessed 2 from the top and the rest from the bottom. Punch holes in a box in the same pattern as the bolts so they go back in their original holes:

Pry the pump off the block with a screwdriver and be ready for antifreeze to dump out. I used some 320 grid wet sandpaper to clean the mating surface:

Apply a thin layer of blue RTV to the pump mating surface, set the paper gasket in place, then apply another thin layer to the gasket. Put the pump in place and thread the bolts snugly into their original positions, then tighten them in a crossing pattern. They are spec'd for 22lb/ft but good luck getting a standard torque wrench in there. Remember, the block threads are aluminum and will strip before the bolts do. I'd rather do this job 10 times than have to lift the motor and tap the block...

Next, replace the water pump pulley. This was the hardest part because I didnt have a strap-wrench to hold the pulley while tightening the bolts. I used an old serpentine belt wrapped around the pulley and tied to one of the engine lift points - it was barely enough. I'll pick up a strap wrench for next time..

Let the RTV set for an hour or so, replace the belt, then close the radiator draincock and refill with a 50/50 mix of your favorite antifreeze. I prefer to mix it with distilled water in a clean bucket to get the mix perfect. Start the engine and run the heater on high, keeping an eye on the gauge. It will take a few heating / cooling cycles to get all the air out of the system.

Replace the splash shields and wheel AFTER running the engine to operating temp and checking for leaks.

Total cost was about $53 for pump, gasket, and a new belt.

Just curious: What would a shop charge for this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1160028.jpg (112.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg P1160024.jpg (123.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg P1160008.jpg (103.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg P1160023.jpg (93.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1160009.jpg (126.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg P1160012.jpg (100.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg P1160014.jpg (136.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg P1160018.jpg (111.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1160020.jpg (121.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg P1160025.jpg (118.3 KB, 56 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sevillian273's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sevillian273 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sevillian273 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: SL2 Water Pump Replacement w/PICS

That was one ugly old pump!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Very nice writeup and pictures!

Around here, $90 and hour is a good labor rate for a shop and I'm guessing book time would be at least an hour, maybe two.

One thing, I notice you used 50/50 to refill your radiator. That may not provide sufficent temp boilover protection - double check the back of your bottle of antifreeze.

I think OldNuc has posted the minimum temp to be around 226F but you may want to double check on a search. You may not see any problems, and you may never have any problems, but the cost of adding a little more antifreeze to the mix is pretty low - cheap insurance

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 162k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

Well, according to my hydrometer the boilover temp is 265.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sevillian273 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

thanks for the writeup, especially the photos

Melissa_M

1999 SL2 MANUAL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Melissa_M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa_M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa_M View Post
thanks for the writeup, especially the photos
+1, great photos really make the How To a great help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
If the back of your coolant jug says 50/50 gives you that level of boilover protection, you should be in good shape

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/feb2001/mech.htm
Quote:
Hydrometers measure specific gravity. Specific gravity is extremely temperature dependent. The same sample that is read at 150 degrees F will read as having a 30 degree F better freeze point protection level if it is read at a temperature of 100 degrees F. Temperature effects must be calculated.

Hydrometers only work for ethylene glycol-based coolants/antifreeze. Propylene glycol cannot be read with a hydrometer due to the fact that up to 70 percent concentration specific gravity increases, but above 70 percent specific gravity decreases. A 100 percent solution reads identical to a 40 percent solution.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 162k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

Quote:

If you are calling one of those 5 ball things a "hydrometer" They are grossly inaccurate.

50/50% will be right at 225F if no residual water. If you really want to know what is in there either mix it up from this chart or use a refractometer.

photo section is down so this will not expand. So, it is the blue line and 265F is an 85% concentration. Most of those testers just assume the system is at 15psig which will get you a pressurized boiling point of about that. Your atmospheric boiling point is about 225F. This will pressurize your system slightly every time the engine heats up to the fan on point. And if you flushed out the system with water and then refilled with the 50/50 blend you are actually at 47/53, 47% antifreeze and an atmospheric boiling point of223F. Maintaining the system pressure as low as possible reduces the stress on the radiator and water pump seal.

Nice writeup and that is the pump to use. They are worth the cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

a 10 mm Combination Ratcheting Wrench is worth every penny when doing this repair......it is real tight working in there

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

I used the prestone hydrometer they sell at walmart for around $4. It's the turkey baster type with the dial. One side is for boilover protection and the other is for freeze protection. The measurement was taken at around 70 degrees F. Yes I do believe it accounts for 15psi in the reading. What is the operating pressure of the cooling system in this car? The car belongs to my mother, I know very little about it specifically.

I dont buy that 50/50 pre mix stuff because I think it's a waste of money. I'm not going to pay a premium for water. I mix in a bucket to exactly 50/50. I replaced the radiator this october and did a complete flush of the system. I vacuumed out every last drop of old coolant from every accessible orifice with a shop vac before adding the 50/50. I use Prestone 'All Makes All Models' coolant. Not sure if it's ethylene or propylene based...

That brown 'ooze' coming from the old pump is not rust. It's bar's leaks 'gold seal' powder. It's an organic mix of ginger root and walnut shells. The stuff was sold in pellet form and required by GM in the late 80's/early 90's most namely for aluminum block Cadillac engines to prevent intake gasket issues. It acts like a blood clot on a leak. As big as that leak actually was, that stuff slowed it to a drip which actually took several days to cause the coolant light to come on. I give it credit for not causing a large enough coolant loss to prevent an overheat on the road. I've never actually seen the stuff work before my eyes before. Now I'm a true believer. I use one tube in this car and two in my cadillac at every coolant flush.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
azrocketman
azrocketman is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

You might add that the SL and SL1 are similar (if not identical).

Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to azrocketman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help azrocketman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
azrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrocketman View Post
You might add that the SL and SL1 are similar (if not identical).

Steve
I would assume so since that's how GM keeps costs down - interchangeability.... Makes it easier on the DIY'er too! This is the first and only Saturn I've ever worked on and It's not even my car. I mostly come here to learn but I figure a picture or two is worth a thousand words.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

crankshaft pulley bolt head is 21 mm.

also the block drain for coolant is underneath the thermostat housing, if you ever need to drain again. get at it from the bottom.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

Quote:
I used the prestone hydrometer they sell at walmart for around $4. It's the turkey baster type with the dial. One side is for boilover protection and the other is for freeze protection. The measurement was taken at around 70 degrees F. Yes I do believe it accounts for 15psi in the reading. What is the operating pressure of the cooling system in this car? The car belongs to my mother, I know very little about it specifically.

Until something goes wrong it should be about 1psi. If the mix is a bit weak you will have a pressure of about 4 to 5 psi.

I dont buy that 50/50 pre mix stuff because I think it's a waste of money. I'm not going to pay a premium for water. I mix in a bucket to exactly 50/50. I replaced the radiator this october and did a complete flush of the system. I vacuumed out every last drop of old coolant from every accessible orifice with a shop vac before adding the 50/50. I use Prestone 'All Makes All Models' coolant. Not sure if it's ethylene or propylene based...

It is ethylene glycol based and is considered a universal coolant. It is HOAT technology and it does contain 2-EHA. It is a drastic improvement over DexCool. I would add about 8oz of 100% to the reservoir after removing enough to get room. That will give you some margin.

That brown 'ooze' coming from the old pump is not rust. It's bar's leaks 'gold seal' powder. It's an organic mix of ginger root and walnut shells. The stuff was sold in pellet form and required by GM in the late 80's/early 90's most namely for aluminum block Cadillac engines to prevent intake gasket issues. It acts like a blood clot on a leak. As big as that leak actually was, that stuff slowed it to a drip which actually took several days to cause the coolant light to come on. I give it credit for not causing a large enough coolant loss to prevent an overheat on the road. I've never actually seen the stuff work before my eyes before. Now I'm a true believer. I use one tube in this car and two in my cadillac at every coolant flush.
Saturn added that stuff from the factory also. You really do not need it if you get rid of the DexCool and the 2-EHA. Other than that it is good to use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

Thanks, I'll top it off with some 100% tonight. What would a 57/43 mix read on the hydrometer when the car is cold?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes or a bit more. The 57% mix is a freeze point of -50F to -60F and that will deal with the inaccuracy of those testers. FYI you really do not get into trouble with ethylene glycol until you get the concentration up to 85% in a high performance engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

As I understand, as the concentration of antifreeze goes up, its ability to transfer heat suffers. Thats why I usually go 50/50 since freezing is not an issue down here in Florida. Straight water actually has the best cooling efficiency provided it does not boil. Obviously that is not an option in a normal vehicle... I never considered the pressure-wear issue. I hope to never EVER see the headgasket in this engine or any other for that matter.

Thanks to all for your input!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 AM   #17
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Being one of a few people here that takes their vehicles to shops when something is out of their league (or lack of proper tools), I had my water pump replaced at a shop, and it cost me $320. However, my estimate would be $300-$400. YMMV

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 AM   #18
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Since you removed the pulley with enough tension from the belt, then why couldn't you have installed it just like that?

Tighten pulley as much as possible by hand (to prevent misalignment) then install old belt and finish torquing.

Where did you find that water pump?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjoekingz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:57 AM   #19
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoekingz28 View Post
Since you removed the pulley with enough tension from the belt, then why couldn't you have installed it just like that?
I tried that. I installed a new belt in the process and it was made of a harder rubber with less grip. The pulley just slipped on it. Its a PITA to snake it around all the pulleys while fighting the tensioner so I didnt want to do that again with the old belt just to tighten the pulley. The old belt was very sticky from all the coolant dripping on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoekingz28 View Post
Where did you find that water pump?
Advance auto parts. It was the cheapest one they had at $32.99 I believe. Its made of aluminum - much better than the OEM stamped steel which cracked at its welds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
Being one of a few people here that takes their vehicles to shops when something is out of their league (or lack of proper tools), I had my water pump replaced at a shop, and it cost me $320. However, my estimate would be $300-$400. YMMV
Yikes. That looks like about 2.5 labor + parts... That's why I try to avoid garages at all costs. Even with tires, I remove them myself and bring them in. Call me paranoid but I dont like the idea of some underpaid lug monkey behind the wheel of my car who doesn't give a rat's ass about MY stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevillian273
Call me paranoid but I dont like the idea of some underpaid lug monkey behind the wheel of my car who doesn't give a rat's ass about MY stuff.
That is my opinion exactly. Do it yourself and then you will know its done correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!