SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
jrbillbrian
jrbillbrian is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Happy My interior LED's

I installed some LED strips under the dash just for fun . You may notice a wire on the passenger side. I just forgot to hide it . I think they look great.

(with flash on)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrbillbrian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrbillbrian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrbillbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: My interior LED's

That's definitely in the Red Line spirit! Now you need the metal trimmed pedals.

I have some blue led tube lights I was contemplating wiring into the dome light circuit for brighter foot well lighting, but I'd rather have white lighting.

I've always had foot well lights in my cars. I installed them on my SC had them, I even installed 2 lights under the hood.

Except for the 2 lift gate lights, I've replaced all my VUE's interior lights with white LED's.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
bafilio1
bafilio1 is on a distinguished road

Is that just the led flexible strip that they have at wal-mart or autozone? Looks good I'm going to have to do that as well... but I'll also do it under the front seats so that the passenger foot wells light up as well

--03 Vue base mdl--Mods: Tinted tails, tinted ambers, Custom CAI, Flowmaster, chipped ECU
--01 Grand Am GT1-- Tinted tails, projector headlights, swapped/built 3600

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bafilio1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bafilio1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bafilio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
jrbillbrian

2005 VUE 3.5L

Well, here's the thing.. I checked walmart and autozone. walmart has some stuff(the one by me does) but i DO NOT trust it. It looks really cheap and crappy. I doubt it would give anywhere near the desired effect. autozone on the other hand i know for a fact has some good products -- i just don't know what they are.

here's one with blue led's from autozone.(not my vue obviously)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n/DSC00682.jpg
i don't know the length, or the product of those.

but for mine, which i'm really pleased with, i bought the 9.5 inch flexible LED strips.

the ones that they sell at autozone and walmart are definitely different from the oznium.com ones. I would recommend products from oznium.com. You have tons of options. You could go with cold cathodes or piranha bars or flexible led strips.

i want to do them under the front seats too but i'm not sure how I would do the wiring yet so i gotta hold off on that.

as for driving with them on... it is not a distraction, and it doesn't make it too hard to see at all. i have them wired to a switch down near the pedals(i didn't want to drill a hole to put the switch nicely. switch doesn't get in the way though while driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jrbillbrian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
bafilio1

well just went to autozone and did mine. Thanks for the idear! makes the inside of the vue a little more "unique" I bought the 2 12" flexible LED's at 19.99 - this is the out come at 2pm in broad daylight with the doors open so its not too bright yet.. But I think i have the same outcome as you..?

--03 Vue base mdl--Mods: Tinted tails, tinted ambers, Custom CAI, Flowmaster, chipped ECU

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bafilio1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
jrbillbrian

2005 VUE 3.5L

yep looks nice and very similar to mine. your center bezel is cool. I don't think i would do that to my vue, but i think it looks nice. i guess i should have gone with the led strips at autozone when i was there. i was just a bit skeptical.
just curious but how did you wire them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
bafilio1

the are wired up with my 12volt power source for my parking lights and a switch located in the middle cubby hole. So they as of now I have them on full time so when I turn the lights on they come on. Or if I don't want them to be on I just turn off the switch if its night out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
jrbillbrian

2005 VUE 3.5L

I went into fuse panel on the passenger side and I found the heated seat fuse. I don't have heated seats but there is still power to that fuse so I bought an add-a-circuit from autozone. I have two 10amp fuses in it. Then i ran a wire from the add a circuit the On part of the switch. The two positive wires from the two led strips run to the off part of the switch, and the negative wires are grounded to the j-shaped bar in the fuse box. To get the wires from the sides, I didn't feel like taking apart any of the interior. So i noticed a path from the fuse box, under the shifter bezel, to the other side near the pedals. So I took a dowel rod and taped the wires to them and fed them through. That way, I didn't have to take apart any of the interior at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
bafilio1

makes since but it wouldn't take very long to tear down. I went out and bought the led strip at a quarter to 2pm. While in my nice street clths and pee coat I tore down the center bezel and the cup holder section, installed and wired up taped down excess, tested put together and took pictures at 2:11pm lol. I thought about doing the "add a circuit" thats what I used to do with previous cars... but I've decided to be safer, so I go straight from the battery with an inline fuse, I'm at 15 fuse to run my gauges and led lights. I figure thats enough for now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
M4St3RGl0W
M4St3RGl0W is on a distinguished road

Well, Thanks to you guys, I decided to install some too. Although, they took a lot more time for me to do than the guy above. Which said he did his in about 30 minutes... perhaps because I am so nit-picky and like clean installs. ^_^

I got the LED lights from autozone for $19.95. It comes with two. Just splice the wires that connect to the switch they use to display them at the store.

I just installed them by adding the wires to the cigarette lighter. The center piece just pops out with a little force to get to the wires underneath the cigarette lighter. Then I drilled a 1/2 hole into the driver side part of the console. (In which you can see in the picture below. And I ran the wires down behind both panels that are in the back (You can use hard wire to run the wires through there.) And... that's pretty much it.

Results:

h**p://i43.tinypic.com/166f5mp.jpg

Note: Replace the "h**p" with "http" because I have to have 15 posts in order to post links.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M4St3RGl0W's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M4St3RGl0W reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M4St3RGl0W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
jrbillbrian

2005 VUE 3.5L

Looks nice. good job

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
bafilio1

lol I'm nit picky as well.. I've just done A TON of aftermarket wiring on the interior of my former vue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4St3RGl0W View Post
Well, Thanks to you guys, I decided to install some too. Although, they took a lot more time for me to do than the guy above. Which said he did his in about 30 minutes... perhaps because I am so nit-picky and like clean installs. ^_^

I got the LED lights from autozone for $19.95. It comes with two. Just splice the wires that connect to the switch they use to display them at the store.

I just installed them by adding the wires to the cigarette lighter. The center piece just pops out with a little force to get to the wires underneath the cigarette lighter. Then I drilled a 1/2 hole into the driver side part of the console. (In which you can see in the picture below. And I ran the wires down behind both panels that are in the back (You can use hard wire to run the wires through there.) And... that's pretty much it.

Results:

h**p://i43.tinypic.com/166f5mp.jpg

Note: Replace the "h**p" with "http" because I have to have 15 posts in order to post links.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
Dugg04
Dugg04 is on a distinguished road

Let's say I wanted to add the light but I wanted them to turn on when the door opens and such. Could I just tap into the circuit from the little plunger switch on the side of our dash??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dugg04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dugg04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dugg04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
jrbillbrian

2005 VUE 3.5L

i'm not 100% sure, but that's possible. but then you'd have no way of turning them on while you drive. i almost think it would be pointless to go through all the trouble of buying them and putting them in just to have them light up for 2.5 seconds when u get in and out of the car... plus you'd only notice them when it's dark out when u got in and out. that's just my opinion. i mean, sure they'd look cool and it would make a nice impression... but that's not something i would do. but if you like the idea, go for it . i think that could work.

alternative, you could do what i did, use an add-a-circuit, and tap into one of the fueses in the instrument panel that come on when you open and close the door. maybe that's what you were suggesting. but that should work

i've had requests from people i know to start installing them in their cars. how much do you think i should charge them ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
Dugg04

A couple questions 1 could I put a switch with a constant power source to turn them on when I drive and what not?? And 2 could is this add a circuit a little fuse holder because I went to advanced auto parts and its all I could find and I read here to tap into a fuse all I have to do is take the wire put it in one side of it and jam the fuse back in...kind of seems unsafe lol

And as for the price ill let you know once I've done the labor lol but then again I have a feeling your a lot more experienced at this than I am lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dugg04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #16
jrbillbrian

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugg04 View Post
A couple questions 1 could I put a switch with a constant power source to turn them on when I drive and what not?? And 2 could is this add a circuit a little fuse holder because I went to advanced auto parts and its all I could find and I read here to tap into a fuse all I have to do is take the wire put it in one side of it and jam the fuse back in...kind of seems unsafe lol

And as for the price ill let you know once I've done the labor lol but then again I have a feeling your a lot more experienced at this than I am lol
Yes you can use a switch with a constant power source to turn them on when you drive. That's what I have. An add-a-circuit is a great little device. You take out the existing fuse, and in its place you plug in the add a circuit. the old fuse and the new fuse for your lights go in the slots on the add a circuit, and at the other end of the add-a-circuit, your wire for power comes out. It's not just a fuse holder.

Also, putting a wire on one side of it and jamming it in is a BAD idea. That's called ghetto-rigging(i think). Just don't do that. And actually I'm not really experienced with this at all . But thanks, let me know how much your total project ends up costing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
Dugg04

Alright I'll have to go shopping again lol I'm planning this for Saturday so ill get back to you then

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #18
Dugg04

I ran into one problem. I got the ass a circuit and put it in the door locks fuse tried to make the led turn on and the wire I put to ground just burns...not good what am I doing wrong I'm using the little fuses

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #19
Dugg04

Any help at all?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!