SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
apinion
apinion is on a distinguished road

Default trailer wiring harness. got OEM part, how to hook it up?

Hey everyone.

I just bought the part that was talked about in a couple of threads for wiring an trailer to the vue. I have an 09 vue and recently installed a hitch and no I need to wire it up.

Below are some pics of what I have and what I am working with.

I removed that back cargo bucket on the right side. Am I missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1324.jpg (59.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1325.jpg (51.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1327.jpg (73.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1328.jpg (72.9 KB, 131 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to apinion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help apinion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
apinion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: trailer wiring harness. got OEM part, how to hook it up?

Look under your Vue. The connector and a small coil of wire should be taped to the wiring harness. Just plug it in. The connector installs just to the side of the centerline of the hitch. If in doubt, see your local Saturn dealer, they should be able to help with a wiring diagram (I could not find one online). Best luck.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
apinion

Just took a look under the vue. No luck. I did however see a similar connector to the one in the 3rd pic, but still non adaptable to what I have.

Called the saturn dealer and they said to bring it in for help. I hate to do that through Austin traffic because its about 25 miles north.

Anyone else have any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help apinion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Do you have the optional factory tow pkg on your Vue (see window sticker or your dealer to verify). You will not have all the wiring in place otherwise. I don't know if you have more wiring in your kit than what you show in the photo. It appears to me that you only have one piece of the wiring harness needed to install. If you don't have the optional tow pkg on your Vue, here are some videos for the after-market "t-wiring" kits that are available, showing how to install (could not find one for 2008-09 Vue):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoS0w...layer_embedded (2008 Outlook)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVx6DTUyvII (2007 Vue)

On my Tahoe, the plug-in for the OEM wiring harnes was taped (completely covered, very hard to see) to the left/passenger rear under-body wiring that runs to the rear lights. Even after the dealer told me where and what to look for, I have to really search to find it. The dealer told me that the factory does not install the end of the wiring harness with the factory tow pkg because there are many different types of trailer connectors (4-pin flat, 7-pin Bargman round, etc), depending upon your application:

http://www.bargman.com/inc/Wiring2009.pdf

The after-market t-wiring connector kits work pretty well. You can get what you need on e-Bay for about $50-60. Your local NAPA, Pep Boys or other auto parts dealer might have one in stock or can order for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...Q5fAccessories

Here are the installation instructions for a 2008-09 Vue:
http://www.hiddenhitch.com/ (part number view 2008-09 Vue)
http://www.draw-tite.net/pdf/N118443.pdf (installation instructions 2008-09 Vue)
From my experience, you do not need to run the ground wire all the way to the battery. Just find a good spot at the rear of the vehicle. Otherwise, make sure the run under the vehicle to the front is tucked up and well attached, avoiding any exhaust or moving parts.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Followup:

The Vue has (2) methods to get a trailer hitch either from the factory or the dealer:

1) Trailering Provisions Factory Option - Includes Trailer Hitch and Wiring Harness.
2) Hitch Trailering Package - Hitch only

Do you have the optional factory tow pkg on your Vue (see window sticker or your dealer to verify). You will not have all the wiring in place otherwise. I don't know if you have more wiring in your kit than what you show in the photo. It appears to me that you only have one piece of the wiring harness needed to install, and it appears to be the piece that attached to the factory hitch (the larger end with the holes for the mounting screws). The other end attaches to a plug on the factory wiring harness at about the centerline under the Vue just behind the hitch. If your Vue did not come from the factory with the Optional Towing Package, that plug will NOT be there. If you do not have the Tow Pkg, do you have a factory hitch? Did the dealer install it? From your 2008-09 Vue owners manual, page 4-53:

Trailer Wiring (with Optional Trailering Provisions) -
If the vehicle has a trailer hitch, a four wire harness
with connector is attached to a bracket on the hitch
platform.
The connector contains the following trailer circuits:
Brown: Park Lamp
Dark Green: Right Stop/Turn Signal
Yellow: Left Stop/Turn Signal
White: Ground

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

Last edited by VWCarcrazy; 01-21-2010 at 11:44 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
swhite63
swhite63 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCarcrazy View Post
From my experience, you do not need to run the ground wire all the way to the battery. Just find a good spot at the rear of the vehicle. Otherwise, make sure the run under the vehicle to the front is tucked up and well attached, avoiding any exhaust or moving parts.
Is that black wire really a ground wire? Since it's connected to the positive battery terminal, I assumed it was some kind of power wiring. With T connectors to the rear lights, is the separate power wire needed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swhite63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swhite63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
swhite63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
neilpilot
neilpilot is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite63 View Post
Is that black wire really a ground wire? Since it's connected to the positive battery terminal, I assumed it was some kind of power wiring. With T connectors to the rear lights, is the separate power wire needed?
Correct - it is power supply to the T-connector control box. When I did my 08VUE install, I did not want to run a line under the VUE to the battery. Instead, I spliced into the power going to the rear accessory socket (e.g. cigar lighter plug). That plug is already breaker protected (either 5A or 10A, I can't recall), and it works fine. If you prefer, you could wire to an accessory plug and simply plug it into the socket only when you are using the hitch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to neilpilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help neilpilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
neilpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
thirdsaturn
thirdsaturn is on a distinguished road

On my 2008 Vue I removed the right side bucket in the back, as you said you did. I believe the picture 1327 with the pink connector is what you see inside the hole when the bucket is removed.

I purchased the factory OEM harness from my local dealer. I installed my own hitch, nothing came from the factory.

The harness for the trailer lights plugs into the pink connector.

I think you are missing a piece. If I remember correctly there were three wiring harness parts that connected together and then plugged in to the pink connector. Your pictures only show one.

Last edited by thirdsaturn; 01-22-2010 at 05:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thirdsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thirdsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thirdsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
apinion

Does anyone have the numbers to the other wiring harness parts that I am missing??

I did not have the towing package, which is why I put my own hitch on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
thirdsaturn
thirdsaturn is on a distinguished road

The part numbers I got were:

25860152 relay,multi
15821889 harness asm
25860154 harness asm

Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thirdsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thirdsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thirdsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
apinion

What does that 25860152 relay,multi part do?? I hot both of the other 2 parts mentioned and I now have trailer lights when my lights are on, but no blinker or brake lights at all.

Is this a fuse problem??? Or do I need that relay?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
25860154 $28.42 $0.00 $24.16

HARNESS ASM-TRLR WRG HARN EXTN

15821889 $26.25 $0.00 $22.31
Rear body and floor - Trailer hitch components - Harness
Harness - Dealer installed 2008

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
20759919 $31.38 $0.00 $26.67

RELAY MULTIUSE Part number 25860152 was superseded by part number 20759919.

When you order the Factory Trailer Hitch through your dealer, you get the hitch and part 15821889 - Harness as shown in the schematic link below:

Trailer hitch - Dealer installed - Dealer installed
08-09 $286.25 $243.31

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

If your 2008-09 Vue had the factory provisions for the trailer kit the single harness would plug right into a mating plug located in the Vue wiring harness approximately directly above the center of the hitch box. Since your Vue obviously does not have the factory tow provision option (as listed in detail in my previous posts), you will need both the additional harness and relay listed above. The relay is required to properly connect the load of your trailer lights to your Vue. Without the relay, as you found out, your lights will not operate properly.

The link above is for a site you can order the parts through, at less than your dealers cost in most cases (watch the minimum shipping charges). Best luck.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

Last edited by VWCarcrazy; 02-03-2010 at 04:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
apinion

Thanks VWCarcrazy for being right on the money with this one. Bought the relay and hoked it up, and voila!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
dnale
dnale is on a distinguished road

I have the same part as the OP. I believe it is part # 15821889 . I can get the relay module to come up but the other part number doesn't come up. Is there a new part number or is it just no longer available?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dnale's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dnale reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
apinion

I believe the number is a cross referenced number. Not sure what is it though. I believe its listed somewhere on here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
hockeydude
hockeydude is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

can anybody tell me if the harness in the 3rd photo above is for the factory amplifier?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1327.jpg (73.2 KB, 44 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hockeydude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hockeydude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hockeydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #17
swhite63
swhite63 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

My understanding is that it is for the OEM trailer harness wiring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swhite63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swhite63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
swhite63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #18
BluVu
BluVu is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L

I had looked into that awhile ago when I first found that connector, Since it was right where the optional subwoofer would be.. But it isn't part of the Advanced Audio System.. There is no wiring to support that if you didn't order the package from the factory.

Last edited by BluVu; 04-20-2010 at 03:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BluVu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BluVu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BluVu is offline   Reply With Quote