SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
bicycleboy7
bicycleboy7 is on a distinguished road

Default Hard to change gears

i have a 1996 SL1, when ever i change gears, i have to really force the gear leaver into place. any ideas why? it has 147000 miles on it. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bicycleboy7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bicycleboy7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bicycleboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2
Default Re: Hard to change gears

Is this a Manual or Automatic?

Manual: Change the Trans fluid. You only need 2.5 Qrts of fluid and YES..you CAN use ATF in your Manual Transmission. Check your shifter bushing underneath the center console, along with the cable ends. These can get worn out and can eventually break. The shifter bushing is a $32 replacement off of ebay and works great. Also, what is the condition of your clutch, etc. ?

Automatic: Change the ATF fluid and filter. This should be done RELIGIOUSLY every 30K miles on an automatic transmission. If it hasn't been done in a while or you can't remember the last time it was done, it may be a good time to do it now.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
hholbein
hholbein is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

If yours in a Manual Transmission, you might want to also check the linkage on the transmission side of the cables (accessible from above or better still from the side after removing the wheel and driver's side inner splash shield).

These often get crudded up with gritty sand/dirt/old ATF etc. and causes the gear selector to get hung up or balky. Clean & degrease the transmission linkage with some Simple Green and an old toothbrush and see if that helps.

If not, I'd dig into the interior shift console and see if there's an issue with the bushing.

Swapping out my 12 y/o Dexron III ATF for Transynd ATF has also made shifts a bit smoother, but unless your ATF looks and smells awful, I'd make that 3rd on my list of to-dos.

Let us know what you find....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
Dime333
Dime333 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycleboy7 View Post
i have a 1996 SL1, when ever i change gears, i have to really force the gear leaver into place. any ideas why? it has 147000 miles on it. thanks
Damn the same is hapenning to my 94 sl1 146,000 i had changed the ATF fluid in december but i dont think i got it all out cuz its the new stuff is kinda dark. the old stuff was really dark like almost like the color of this face haha

Saturn Infinitum.
We Are Saturn and We Love our Cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dime333's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dime333 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dime333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

look for the writeup by barnowl in The How To Library for testing the clutch hydraulic system.

I've been slowly changing out my clutch hydraulic fluid using a turkey baster (following richpin's video) and last time I must not have put enough brake fluid in. Noticed substantially harder shifting, esp to 1st gear.

Added more (I think just under 1/4 from the top), place a rag around the master reservoir to catch spills, and put the cap back on. Much improved shifting.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 167k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

First thing I would check is the clutch. When sitting idle, with the clutch depressed shift into first gear and look for any drop in RPM. If you see an RPM drop you have a problem with your clutch (most likely external (master or slave cylinders).

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycleboy7 View Post

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
Dime333
Dime333 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
First thing I would check is the clutch. When sitting idle, with the clutch depressed shift into first gear and look for any drop in RPM. If you see an RPM drop you have a problem with your clutch (most likely external (master or slave cylinders).

-Robert
Wouldnt that just kill the engine?

Saturn Infinitum.
We Are Saturn and We Love our Cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dime333's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dime333 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dime333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:30 AM   #8
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
look for the writeup by barnowl in The How To Library for testing the clutch hydraulic system.

I've been slowly changing out my clutch hydraulic fluid using a turkey baster (following richpin's video) and last time I must not have put enough brake fluid in. Noticed substantially harder shifting, esp to 1st gear.

Added more (I think just under 1/4 from the top), place a rag around the master reservoir to catch spills, and put the cap back on. Much improved shifting.
I thought it was all in my head when I suctioned out some clutch fluid then added some and I might have put in just a little too much since the rubber seal needs to be expanded when reinstalling, But afterwards the clutch pedal seemed to be a bit stiffer.

Dime, he never said he engaged the clutch.

A few months back I swapped out the 5yr old dexIII for redline d4 atf and got improved (smoorher) shifting in all but first gear,especially when coming from reverse. It really bugs me, so I bought some MTL and it feels pretty much the same. Besides having to continually stab first after backing up and sometimes having to press and release the clutch pedal a few times ( a technique often used in motorcycles to get the gears lined up at a stop) and it takes a few moments usually when shifting to second sometimes. Besides that, shifting is quite fluid and very nice.

I hear lubing the shift cables with powdered mica will help, but have yet to try this myself.

Last edited by mjoekingz28; 01-12-2010 at 03:37 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjoekingz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
norkahinz
norkahinz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Is this a Manual or Automatic?

Manual: Change the Trans fluid. You only need 2.5 Qrts of fluid and YES..you CAN use ATF in your Manual Transmission. Check your shifter bushing underneath the center console, along with the cable ends. These can get worn out and can eventually break. The shifter bushing is a $32 replacement off of ebay and works great. Also, what is the condition of your clutch, etc. ?

Automatic: Change the ATF fluid and filter. This should be done RELIGIOUSLY every 30K miles on an automatic transmission. If it hasn't been done in a while or you can't remember the last time it was done, it may be a good time to do it now.
What i did I work for me real good not saying that you have to but i had the same issue on a 5 speed. i change the fluid but I mix 50% ATF and 50% 10-30 engine oil. I must say it shifted like butter reall smooth, and I had it for very long time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to norkahinz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help norkahinz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
norkahinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Clutch hydraulics problem is one possible issue that will results in difficulty shifting into 1st and 2nd gear when the engine is running, easy shifting when the engine is off. This can be a result of problem with the hydraulics system resulting in loss of fluid, or bad seals.

There is a diagnostic test for clutch fork travel that can help diagnose if this is your problem. A search should find it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime333 View Post
Wouldnt that just kill the engine?
No because you have the clutch down the entire time. If it kills the engine you know you have a serious clutch problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote