SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
black_vue
black_vue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Wheel Bearing Replacement

I believe I have a bad wheel bearing on my '04 Vue RL. It has 94K miles. Has anyone replaced this themselves? If so, how difficult was it? If you paid to have one replaced, I'd be interested to know how much it cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to black_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help black_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
black_vue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
redlineit
redlineit is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Wheel Bearing Replacement

heres my experience with it...read more in "Tire size question"

OK!! So I put my winter sets on finally and the noise was still there so I knew it was bearings... I could feel the pain of my wallet already, so heres the deal. I bring my RL in yesterday and the ******* comes out and tells me its $500 EACH SIDE for front bearings!!! I went nuts and was like give me my truck im outta here ill go to pepboys if I have to. So he brings me to the back and says my mistake, I overcharged you on labor... Its really $900. I said man your nuts thats not going to work so he says ok well I can throw in a 10% coupon to get it down to 800. I said ill tell ya what, we can do $700 cash and im out the door today. He agreed and started doing the job and leaves me in the waiting room for 4 HOURS! 10AM TO 2PM! Ok so he comes out 4 hours later and says listen, your axle melted into the wheel bearing so you will need an axle too which is "$600" extra. Now my total is up to $1300 plus wheel alignment for $100 plus inspection for $37 plus I had to get a rental for the day and the next. So I call today and he was "busy" so he call me back 6 hours later and says, "my technician left the key on and your battery died. I charged it but now the check engine light is on and I can't pass the inspection." ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!
So he tells me he drove it 7 miles and you have to drive 9 for the light to go off??? I said WTF, if you drove 7 and you need to go 9 why would you go back and not do 2 more miles!?!? Im going in tomorrow morning to have a word with this wallet leech, I don't understand how an axle is $600. Even if thats with labor but there shouldn't be much since it was already apart for the bearings, $1400 is CRAZY. No wonder why saturn is going down.... I need my truck back so I guess im going to have to pay this BS but ill try and get him down to 1200 or something. UGHHHHHHH MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!

I ended up paying the 1400 to those *******s...never again

2004 Saturn Vue RL Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redlineit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redlineit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redlineit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
hein
Advanced Member
hein is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Here's a thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131167

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
black_vue

2004 VUE Red Line

The how-to in the link is perfect. I can handle that. I'll do it myself and avoid the stealership. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help black_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
black_vue

2004 VUE Red Line

Wow, that was way more work than I expected. But, the job is done and it resolved the humming noise. Here in Minnesota, a lot of salt is used on the road and it corrodes all of the suspension. Nothing wanted to come apart, not the axles, and not the hubs. I finally pulled both steering knuckles and brought them into a shop with a serious hydraulic press. It still took the shop 15 minutes apiece with heat and the press to get the hubs out. I had sand the inside of the knuckles to remove all the rust and lube with anti-seize to install the new hubs. All in all, I spent 12 hours on this job!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
stbvue
stbvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

It seems that all the Vue's have bearing problems. My 05 rear bearing went out not only 2 months after buying it. Luckily it was still under warranty then. Im beginning to think these cars were made with cheap parts. I hear of alot of bearing trouble with these Vues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stbvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stbvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
blocknitup
blocknitup is on a distinguished road

I just replaced my passenger front wheel bearing and my tcs and abs light is on. Yes I plugged in the sensor, why is it doing it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blocknitup's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blocknitup reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blocknitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by blocknitup View Post
I just replaced my passenger front wheel bearing and my tcs and abs light is on. Yes I plugged in the sensor, why is it doing it?
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

As much as I hate to say this, it sounds like a faulty sensor or plug in the new hub assembly.

Try cleaning the terminals as well as you can. There could be some corrosion that worked loose when the old one was unplugged, causing a weak connection.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:42 AM   #9
bengalsgrowl
bengalsgrowl is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.0L
Thumbs Up Re: Wheel Bearing Replacement

I know this is an old thread, but i wanna say thanks for all the info,

I just replaced the wheel bearing hub on the passenger side of my 2006 Saturn Vue.

First I wanna say tried for 2 days, a total of about 8 hrs banging on the hub to try and free it.... lost cause... torches, PB Blaster, homemade rust killer/lube (transmission fluid and acetone, formula i got from watching a youtube video). Still wouldn't come free.. I can't stress enough how frustrating this was. I recommend giving this a try but don't get sucked into trying to save time by using a hammer, if it's not free after an hr or two you probably shouldn't waste anymore time.

Finally i took the whole knuckle off, which only took about 10 minutes. 2 tap bolts on upper arm (remove nuts with 18mm socket then tap bolts out), nut at lower arm steering knuckle (18mm socket, mine had a cotter pin that snapped. less than a dollar to replace), nut under tie rod ball joint (18mm socket). Also i noticed there are a few different axel nut sizes mentioned throughout forums, mine was a 33mm on my 2006. (sooo easy, wish i did this to begin with)

Took the whole assembly to work and used a hydraulic press to free the hub.
This took 5 minutes, and so much pressure it made it very clear after that there wasn't a chance that i could get it free with a hammer. In my case taking the whole thing off is definitely the easier route, especially being from Ohio, the hub was very corroded and seized. I hear you can take the assembly to an auto parts store to press it out, or you can give it a go hitting the backside with a hammer now that it is off.

Good luck to all who take on this project, i think it can be very easy or extremely time consuming, i found out the hard way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bengalsgrowl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bengalsgrowl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bengalsgrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #10
04RDLN
04RDLN is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...l?m=952&y=2004

These are the new Hub/Bearing assemblies I used on my Redline. I suggest also getting new knuckles. Save yourself the headache of trying to get the old ones out, unless you have a hydraulic press.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241358

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04RDLN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04RDLN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04RDLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #11
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...If the weather is not cooperating outside and you don't feel like dealing with salt corrosion, it cost me about 100 bucks to have a wb done, and it took the place about a 1/2 hr to an hr to do with an air chisel and torch, just my .02, DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Left coast and nonRustBElt VUe bearings almost fall out after unbolting.

NO hyd press needed( maybe a puller) but that might not be needed, either.
I've done all corners(+2) and needed the puller on just one.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote