SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
StandsOnToes
StandsOnToes is on a distinguished road

Default Very High Pitch Noise only at high speed, and doesn't depend on engine load

Hi everyone,

Maybe somebody could help diagnose this noise.

So here it goes, heres the facts :

its a very high pitch noise coming from the engine and or front wheel area( its impossible to say left or right side or even what area its coming from, i had a friend help and he couldn't detect it either.) It doesn't sound liek metal on metal grinding, but more like air escaping from a balloon... but even that doesn't sound right after reading it.

It only happens when going faster than 100 or 110 kms/hr (thats 60-70m/hr)

The pitch stays constant no matter if the engine is under load or not, and as long as the speed stays above 100.

It happens in both 4th and 5th gear

it happens Clutch in or clutch out.

Sound goes away when speed drops below 100kms

Can't duplicate the sound by just reving the engine while parked. so i don't believe its rpm related

All fluid levels are great.

Just recently put on a brand new serpintine belt,the tensioner seems to be fine and the belt doesn't look to have any abnormal wear. The new belt has been on for about 2 weeks, and i've had no problems on my daily commutes.

My drive today was different becuase i had to drive to another town, had no noise o nthe way there, the car sat for about an hour, then on the way back as soon as i hit the highway up pops this "sound"

Car is a 1992 saturn s series manual tranny with about 160,000kms

Any help on figuring it out would be awesome. I'd much rather fix this myself then take it to a shop. So i figured i'd give this forum a try.

Thanks in advance!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StandsOnToes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StandsOnToes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StandsOnToes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
StandsOnToes
StandsOnToes is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Very High Pitch Noise only at high speed, and doesn't depend on engine load

oh yeah forgot to say that while the noise was happening i tried slamming to clear my brakes of a potentail rock to no avail... and the noise stays the same no matter if the i turn one direction or the other...

I know what a bad belt sounds like this isn't it.

I've never heard a bad CV before but i don't think its it either..

and the sound doesn't make me think wheel bearing...

If i have time tonight i'll try post a recording of the sound

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StandsOnToes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StandsOnToes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StandsOnToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Very High Pitch Noise only at high speed, and doesn't depend on engine load

If the PITCH doesn't change based on gear (4th/5th) or clutch (in/out), then it's NOT in the powertrain. It's either "downstream" in the driveline (driveshafts, wheel bearings, tires), or something entirely different, like air moving past at that particular speed range making a body (or other) part vibrate, or air going through an opening at just the right speed, whistling.

If you can find a safe spot to do it, try this: try accelerating, approaching a curve, up to 110-120-ish, then coast down to 100 into the curve. Ideally, try two of such test, one to the left and one to the right. See if the noise gets better, worse or stays the same in each case. That _might_ tell us if it's somewhere else in the driveline.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote