SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Larry_va
Larry_va is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default 5 Speed Trans Fluid??

I know I've seen what some have used but did a thread search and couldn't find it. The GM dealer msays our Astras require a special fluid so I was wondering what others are using when changing the fluid in thier 5 speed trany's and where to get it.
Thanks everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Larry_va's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Larry_va reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Larry_va is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
fershy
fershy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 5 Speed Trans Fluid??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_va View Post
I know I've seen what some have used but did a thread search and couldn't find it. The GM dealer msays our Astras require a special fluid so I was wondering what others are using when changing the fluid in thier 5 speed trany's and where to get it.
Thanks everyone.
Larry, do a search in the tech forum on "silkolene"
I'd post the thread directly but I am not allowed until I reach 15 posts. 10 to go!
fershy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fershy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fershy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fershy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Larry_va

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fershy View Post
Larry, do a search in the tech forum on "silkolene"
I'd post the thread directly but I am not allowed until I reach 15 posts. 10 to go!
fershy
I found it. Thank you very much. Welcome to the forum. My dads dealership is ordering it for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Larry_va reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
ESPETITEE1988
ESPETITEE1988 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

I have the same problem about that posting but having to have 15 posts but my buddy has the same car and he found after market fluid for his I will see if i can get the name of the stuff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ESPETITEE1988's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ESPETITEE1988 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ESPETITEE1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
nrobertson
nrobertson is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

Does the premium fluid improve shifting? My gears are a bit clunky when shifting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nrobertson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nrobertson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

From the US Astra Owners Manual:

Manual Transmission Fluid:

(GM Part number US 88861800, Canada 88861801)

Automatic Transmission Fluid:

Use only T-IV ATF (GM Part No. US 88900925, Canada 22689186)

marx404
Saturn lives.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrobertson View Post
Does the premium fluid improve shifting? My gears are a bit clunky when shifting.
Often changing the transmission lube will improve the shifting feel. I'm partial to Redline MTL 75-90. Still run you about $9/qt.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
Audi Junkie
Audi Junkie is on a distinguished road

Any MTF or ATF will work, don't use "Gear Oil" (GL-5). Depending on your operating conditions, a wide range of viscs is available. oem fill is thick, Saturn GM fluid is thin like ATF. Look at my thread and pick from the listsed oils or look at other with similar visc properties.

I'm finding the Silkolene SRG 75 seems a bit thick in cold now, but thinner than factory fill. In hindsight, I may have went thinner. A lot of Saturn Redline drivers use Mobil 1 ATF. Pennzoil or GM Syncromesh is the next thicker, then Redline MTL, which is closer to oem, but still a lil thinner and a good deal thinner in cold.

See, Euro specs are for full-bore Autobahn driving. In USA we have lower speed limits, short trip driving and basicly the fluid themselves are always getting better at wear protection, allowing thinner fluids to be used. That is why you have one fluid speced and factory filled, and a thinner fluid for refill service in the USA (Saturn).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audi Junkie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audi Junkie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
KillerX
KillerX is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I wish there was more information on this. When I owned my 11 second Talon, I used nothing but GM syncromesh for my transmission and was thinking of using it on my Astra. Any comments on this stuff?

Brad

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KillerX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KillerX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KillerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
HellisLikeNewrk
HellisLikeNewrk is on a distinguished road

How many miles before you change the fluid? I couldn't find a reference to changing the manual trans oil in the manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HellisLikeNewrk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HellisLikeNewrk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HellisLikeNewrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
Audi Junkie
Audi Junkie is on a distinguished road

I changed at 4k because my dealer was closing. Redline and Euro manuals call for a single MTF change at 6k.

Like I was saying, a wide range of fluids will work, considering OE fill is heavy MTF and Saturn/GM USA service fills call for the GM Transaxle Fluid (Dexron III ATF)

Just like with motor oil, lots of different viscs will work, but the goal is to optimise for your situation.

Say you live up north, take short trips, drive lightly and want mpg....Synth ATF like Mobil 1 is perfect. Live in Texas, drive hard and long with an aftermarket turbo, maybe something thicker like Redline MTL maybe mixed upwards with some MT-90 would be best.

Syncromesh is a safe middle of the road bet. I need to refer to my original post to put them in the correct order viscosity-wise.

Last edited by Audi Junkie; 01-09-2010 at 12:12 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audi Junkie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audi Junkie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
Larry_va

2008 Astra XR

I've got 48,000 miles on mine. I haven't had any troubles with the trany but I do alot of stop and go driving. I ended up having the dealer order whatever they said it called for. I figure It will save any waranty questions if I do ever have a problem in the future. Since my dad runs the dealership I get all my parts at cost so it works out well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

my feeling is to leave it alone. Obviously it won't hurt if you change it, but the truth of the matter is that most if not all cars out there go with the original fill for all their life with 0 problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote